Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Do they even make beep beep stuff like this affordable? It seems like everything in this thread costs at least 500.00 to start
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 pm

i mean. if you went all used or Ladik or Doepfer heavy, could save a tonnnnn of money.

and there are so many AMAZING modules that fall out of style after a few months and get crazy cheap. relatively.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Muse FTW » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am

It's probably cheaper now than it has ever been to get into modular/semi-modular synths.

4ms POD cases are a cheaper way to get a case going for 1-4 modules depending on the width (and assuming they fit, of course).

Although most of the big names charge a pretty penny for a powerful module, I think it's about as comparable as the guitar pedal market. For every Strymon/Eventide/Chase Bliss there's a Boss/EHX. There are definitely fewer cheap options out there, and the average price of a module is definitely higher than that of a pedal, but some manufacturers/DIY options exist when all else fails.

It really comes down to what you want to do with modular. That was a question I didn't know the answer to before starting and it made for a lot of buying and selling to try and figure out what I actually wanted out of the format. Doing research beforehand and knowing what your objective is with the instrument is crucial.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:31 am

MaxMaps wrote:Do they even make beep beep stuff like this affordable? It seems like everything in this thread costs at least 500.00 to start

As the others said it is probs more affordable than it ever has been - all this super fancy stuff is expensive but there are companies out there making really good value modules which are maybe a bit less complex (but there's some cool stuff out too). So if you wanted to make a fairly classic analog logic controlled system it is sooo much cheaper than it ever has been. There's also a lot of great DIY options out if you're handy. Much like pedals really? :idk: Only definitely a higher average price, and the need for a case and power etc

But fundamentally if you want to do bleep bloops, modular synths are not the most cost effective way to do it :lol: :lol: mass produced synths or even better, computers are much better value.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 am

i gots the 24. i also use it for very basic stuff, just wanted easily accessible faders for a bunch of inputs to tryyyyy to not put in a patchbay.

love it.

all i use it for is the 3 effects sends, single tracking a bunch of inputs. but it's been solid as butts the whole time i've had it.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:24 pm

I got trigger happy when Beads was up and ordered it from Control. PC pre order wasn't up yet. My friends waited for PC and will have theirs tomorrow. Shoulda waited for that west coast connection lol.

As Muse FTW said on the *other* forums, snow storm probably delaying that...
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby doommeow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 pm

I'm trying to be zen about it and wait for Juno. Already 13% less than this side of the pond, probably even cheaper if you ask for a discount.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:00 pm

MaxMaps wrote:Do they even make beep beep stuff like this affordable? It seems like everything in this thread costs at least 500.00 to start

Most of the bigger modules are around that price point, but as everyone above me already said, it's very similar to pedals, and there are more entry points than even a few years ago.

A majority of the popular Mutable modules are DIY/open source, or can be had for around $150 pre-built by someone else (seems to have exploded on etsy in past year, imagine that!). Bastl still makes great stuff, but is oodles cheaper as kits, too.

And Dreadbox came out with a whole line of $99 modules that look reel cool, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD8Emy3t1CA

Behringer did the same with an OG/Roiland inspired line, but I will not link because of REASONS.

Also, cases and power are also dropping in price, overall, but stiff cardboard still seems to be in high supply, as seen in this several-year old demo of a $500 device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9-XA5MPwY
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:38 pm

:D yeah fonky diy cases have turned out to be one of the more funnerer areas of modularity for me :)*
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby doommeow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:23 pm

DIY'd/cheap cases are the way to go, especially in the middle of a global lockdown. it's not like you're gonna take the thing anywhere until the zombies are all gone.

shallow server racks are the way to go. easily obtainable, the right measurements for prefab rails if you don't have access to anything more complicated than a screwdriver, and cheap. add the $50 behringer power supply and some used rails and your ready to go.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MaxMaps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:26 pm

I think for a complete beginner like me, I would be more drawn toward the dreadbox stuff.

It looks just like toy I would get into - I just would have no clue what I would be doing :joy:
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:08 pm

So I've considered this before and decided against it in the past, but I am thinking about selling a few things (including my Digitakt, Keystep Pro, 16n, and Cooper Arcades) and building a little mini-sampler rack with a 4ms Pod 40, Listen I/O, STS, and Mutable Beads. It would look something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1359652
I would literally only be using this for messing around with samples and will mainly control it with a Make Noise No Ctrl (that I would also be buying to go along with the Strega). I'm also specifically putting it all in a Pod 40 so that I have no room to expand.

Yes, this wouldn't have even remotely the same capabilities as all the things I listed, but I am starting to really think about the synths I have and what I want to do with them. Digitakt and 16n to me are literally just used to mangle sample and make drones. While the Digitakt is definitely capable of doing this, it's really not the most immediate and fun to have to dig through all the menus and remembering all the button combos. The Keystep Pro I have literally only used twice. I bought it with the intention of being the center of my setup, but the only thing I've ever used it with is my DX7.

Also, yes, this is somewhat driven by Beads gas
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 pm

MrNovember wrote:So I've considered this before and decided against it in the past, but I am thinking about selling a few things (including my Digitakt, Keystep Pro, 16n, and Cooper Arcades) and building a little mini-sampler rack with a 4ms Pod 40, Listen I/O, STS, and Mutable Beads. It would look something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1359652
I would literally only be using this for messing around with samples and will mainly control it with a Make Noise No Ctrl (that I would also be buying to go along with the Strega). I'm also specifically putting it all in a Pod 40 so that I have no room to expand.

Yes, this wouldn't have even remotely the same capabilities as all the things I listed, but I am starting to really think about the synths I have and what I want to do with them. Digitakt and 16n to me are literally just used to mangle sample and make drones. While the Digitakt is definitely capable of doing this, it's really not the most immediate and fun to have to dig through all the menus and remembering all the button combos. The Keystep Pro I have literally only used twice. I bought it with the intention of being the center of my setup, but the only thing I've ever used it with is my DX7.

Also, yes, this is somewhat driven by Beads gas

I'm just curious what kind of samples you are desiring to manipulate with it. Spoken word, found sound, snippets of music/movies/tv, you playing guitar/instruments? Or is this answer "Yes" :lol:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:07 am

The answer is definitely yes :lol:

I currently have a bunch of Nathan Moody's Sigil soundpack loaded in the Digitakt, which is a bunch of instruments he built and sampled. I'll definitely keep using those with the new setup. I've also messed around with a lot of field recordings, the Conet Project, famous quotes from movies/history, and will definitely be capturing other instruments as well.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 am

Really? I don't really mess with samples anymore but love Nathan's stuff. Might have to pony up just to mess around . . . thanks for the heads up.

My favorite used to be old horror films, 40's/50's, sampling the soundtracks and then pitching and modulating them, putting them into a keyboard, playing new melody etc. So much fun . . .
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear