The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Whached the Nu-Dune on max..

Visuals: A
Pacing: C- [it feels like they copied the new blade runner]
Sound/Music: C sound effects are great but musically I feel an ILF compilation of us all jamming would have done as good a job
Acting: C, It's hard to tell if the acting was wooden or the directing was limp
Adaptation: C- Wile it have more scenes from the book than David Lynch's one without knowing the book I feel you'd be saying WTF is going on.
At least with David Lynch's version you have the thought dialog going in the silent parts which in the book if half of the fucking dialog in the
fucking story!
Cast: D Atleast with David Lynch's version he picked GOOD veteran film and stage actors to balance with the shitty eye candy actors, just like the original starwars tril, Harry Potter and lOrd of the wrings.

Conclusion: another overblown remake with no new ideas to be forgotten in a sea of remakes with no new ideas other than BLOOMEXPLOSION!
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 pm

i fuckin loved dune. catch it in imax/dolby if you can as the regular version lost a lot of colour depth. source:me, who saw it twice this week
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 pm

MrNovember wrote:Holy shit, just got back from seeing Dune. Absolutely did the book more justice than I was expecting. I loved it and I had really high expectations going into it. I actually really want to go see it again

MechaGodzilla wrote:i fuckin loved dune. catch it in imax/dolby if you can as the regular version lost a lot of colour depth. source:me, who saw it twice this week

:hug:

Blackened Soul wrote:Whached the Nu-Dune on max..

Visuals: A
Pacing: C- [it feels like they copied the new blade runner]
Sound/Music: C sound effects are great but musically I feel an ILF compilation of us all jamming would have done as good a job
Acting: C, It's hard to tell if the acting was wooden or the directing was limp
Adaptation: C- Wile it have more scenes from the book than David Lynch's one without knowing the book I feel you'd be saying WTF is going on.
At least with David Lynch's version you have the thought dialog going in the silent parts which in the book if half of the fucking dialog in the
fucking story!
Cast: D Atleast with David Lynch's version he picked GOOD veteran film and stage actors to balance with the shitty eye candy actors, just like the original starwars tril, Harry Potter and lOrd of the wrings.

Conclusion: another overblown remake with no new ideas to be forgotten in a sea of remakes with no new ideas other than BLOOMEXPLOSION!

Well, the director is the same as the new Blade Runner so I guess some similarities in style are unavoidable :lol:
Cast was not amazing nor terrible, (except Jason Momoa who is capable of doing only the same role in each movie he appears in)
Re-adaptation: i found it captured the general mood of the book, and I really appreciated the absence of "explanation dialogues", which has become more and more popular and annoying in the vast majority of the movies right now. I don't know if I could have understood everything if I didn't read the book, but I loved that most of the things were explained "visually" instead of using words etc.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:09 pm

I thought that it did not capture my vibe from the book. Which is of course the danger of any adaptation. And I thought it had too much exposition as dialogue :lol: though I complete understand WHY from what he was going for, I think I probably would have preferred faster paced scenes that gave away more detail about the setting in passing, than the small amount of portentous dialogue getting across the minimum (and voiceovers when they really needed to get something across). I understood why they changed a lot of this, but then this is why I am not generally into movie adaptations of books I like :lol:

My review is more along your lines Blackened Soul... Perhaps a little more positive :lol: as I thought they got across the essentials for an adaptation, pacing wasn't hard to watch and some of the music was nice and fitted well, imo.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Last couple posts are making me feel like rereading. Which is a shame. The trailers were giving me good feels.

Or maybe I get the SciFi (or was it SyFy by then?) mini series DVD out. Not perfect but so much better than Lynch’s, and budget was an adequate explanation for the short comings.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:27 am

Haven't seen that one. I reread Dune and a couple of the following ones earlier this year. The fact that the memory was so recent is probably part of why I couldn't switch the comparison mindset off. If you like the vibe of the trailers and slow movies and spectacle, I'd still say consider seeing it.

I would watch this again, when the next one comes out (though I wouldn't need to with book knowledge) - so I didn't hate it, I think I'm just picking on the negative points because firstly that's what I'm like, and secondly as a contrast to a lot of the extremely positive reviews I've seen. Personally of the 3 I've seen (this, Arrival, Sicario) it's my least favourite Villeneuve film so far... But I'd still see his next one.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:52 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Perhaps a little more positive :lol:

:lol: I didn't hate it.. and I will probably watch again. I was more just annoyed that almost every one of my favorite dialog lines were omitted.. and I am getting a little stale on this treatment.. which if you do a dive Denis Villeneuve's films kinda do.. and also the last two alien movies had.. I like the stark ambient scapes and the coloring but I dislike the way the acting/directing is.. Also I am sick and tired of the protagonists being based on Woody Allen and/or Shinji [evangelion]... Someone needs to take this treatment and blend it with classic acting, that would be cool.. and/or give scandinavian films bigger budgets.. :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:44 pm

What If: to use ILF terminology, this show is totally self-fellatiatory. Their whole approach appears to expect comic book fan levels of familiarity with every scene and every line of the source material, and just nope. That was a different time (before the internet), when hardcore fans wanted their nerdly debates about the shit, but didn't have the millions of stupid opinions and hypotheses to scroll through. Also so tired of nothing but Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. There wasn't even a Spiderman episode, let alone FF, Xmen etc. The show seems kind of premature without the full marvel universe at its disposal. The only thing I really like (actually love) about it are the godlike shots of the Watcher. The animation style does yield some respectable moments like that, but overall it already seems kind of generic, and I really hope Marvel doesn't settle on one boring house style like DC.

behndy wrote:i kept spacing watching Invincible, binged through it the other day. as someone who likes violent super hero stuff, Chef's Kiss. as someone who LOVES the graphic novel series, EIGHT THOUSAND CHEF'S KISSES.

all the changes were GOOD. updated some parts of characters that didn't age well, made them more palatable and/or interesting (Amberrrrr is a HUGE improvement). changed the whole rhythm by making the big reveal of Season 01 play out completely differently. works, and makes it feel like a distinct work compared to the comics?

I never read the Invincible comics, and was indifferent about watching the show, didn't care if I saw it or not. It was my wife's suggestion, so I was surprised enough to say sure why not?...and...you might as well check out some anime now if this is your jam??? I guess getting listed as a headliner on Prime is enough to catch the interest of peeps who are otherwise never fucking even slightly interested in that kind of thing...a superhero cartoon...I mean how the fuck? Maybe it was because she enjoyed the Boys? But still...my wife asking me to check out a superhero cartoon, that was probably the show's most amazing accomplishment. I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to more. Again, not jazzed on the animation style though. It should look better than stuff that was being done 20 years ago, and so far it just looks like the same justice league cartoons that have been getting made the same way forever. It just seems lazy and half assed to me anymore, for prime time animation to be anything less than stunning. Want to make it more like a comic, level up the artwork already.

Finally got around to season 2 of Wu-Tang: an American Saga. It's a tricky mix of styles and content, but I think they do pretty well with it. One of my favorite ongoing series nowadays.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:21 am

Spent Halloween night with Black Phillip - always satisfying, though from certain other audience members there were...quibbles. :p
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:43 am

And in the beginning of a botched story of The Wheel of Time where the writers only read the summary on the back cover of the book then did some bath salts to make sure they totally fuck up yet another fantasy classic…
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:49 am

Star Wars Visions: First episode rules, the rest are tough to get through. I knew Love Death and Robots was going to make an impact and be answered with some similar anthology projects, but I wasn't expecting it to be from Star Wars and anime. I was thinking more along the lines of a LotDK series, Epic Illustrated, Dark Horse Presents, something like that.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:36 am

Loving the live action Cowboy Bebop so far. Only faintly familiar with the anime, though
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:32 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:And in the beginning of a botched story of The Wheel of Time where the writers only read the summary on the back cover of the book then did some bath salts to make sure they totally fuck up yet another fantasy classic…

And the wheel of time churns trying to figure out how to be a Game-of-Xena while be more Hollywood neoliberal branded multiculturaly diverse than Disney could ever dream of all the while stumbling through the dark and losing all the charm of the book..
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Xmas horrormation playlist:

Junji Ito Collection - Well now, here's a right proper anime anthology.
Seoul Station
Mad God (Holy shit yall, watch this now).
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:42 am

any uzumaki content in that Junji Ito collection? :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion