The Video Game thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby qersty » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:46 am

That emulation thing looks sick as hell! Weird that it struggles with n64 though. I thought that was one of the few emulations optimized so well you could run on a toaster

I need to catch up with my gaming. I have not played anything for ages. Gotta get some controller for my PC so that i can play all the playstation stuff i never got to play as a kid. I have been meaning to play through silent hill and have kinda gotten into the thought of getting into final fantasy
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:38 pm

qersty wrote:That emulation thing looks sick as hell! Weird that it struggles with n64 though. I thought that was one of the few emulations optimized so well you could run on a toaster

I need to catch up with my gaming. I have not played anything for ages. Gotta get some controller for my PC so that i can play all the playstation stuff i never got to play as a kid. I have been meaning to play through silent hill and have kinda gotten into the thought of getting into final fantasy

I think it just varies game to game. Like the Star Wars Rouge Squadron games are nearly impossible to emulate for a bunch of reasons. The N64 version needs the expansion pack to run better because Factor 5 had the best graphics back in the day which creates all sorts of problems in emulation.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 am

Those Anbernic systems look great! I’m definitely excited about the next gen of handheld emulators, though. But I still need to buy one of these to stuff my pi4 into:

https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG--Kit_p_18.html

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Super Metriod still holds up really well. I've been playing through it on my retro handheld emulation thingy. God, I love this device. :snax:

Currently making my way through Chrono Trigger and MGS on the same device.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of retro handhelds, as these still struggle a bit with certain N64 and Dreamcast emulations. PSX runs perfectly though, but it would be nice to play some PS2 as well.

Thats rad!

I have no idea how people handle ROMs these days - is it legal? Not Legal?
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 am

I try to obtain my roms in legal ways? Like using cartridge rippers, buying roms (Sega has an excellent pack that comes with one of their multipacks on Steam), and ripping them straight from DVDs/CDs. If I buy something that already has a bunch of roms on it, I can only assume they’re following the appropriate channels for distribution.

edit: I’m not sure if that’s 100% legal, but it seems like it is?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:06 am

MaxMaps wrote:Thats rad!

I have no idea how people handle ROMs these days - is it legal? Not Legal?

archive.org has whole catalogs of ROMs, look for "redump" and "no-intro" sets.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 pm

I mean, these games are (mostly) ancient and hard to get my hands on in ROM form, plus I've already bought a bunch of them originally many moons ago. I just download them now. No shame. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:21 am

Videogames aren't really properties of the creators anyway. as i have understood atleast but since most outspoken creators advocate for playing the games rather than buying your full price bleem-by-nintendo. i dont really care if a big company does not get cash for a game they chose not to publish even. Ripping is cool though, archiving is awesome, the legality of video game backups is a shitstorm. Some console emulation is barely legal due to the copyright of the BIOS (PS2 is the example i can think of right away).

If you rip at home nobody really can hold you accountable unless some institution has been founded that raids the home of people that have history of buying cartridge ripping hardware.
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:13 am

tbh hacking my 3ds and loading it with roms was the best thing i ever did. those shin megami tensei games are expensive to buy!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:30 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:tbh hacking my 3ds and loading it with roms was the best thing i ever did. those shin megami tensei games are expensive to buy!

What isnt expensive these days! i thought i could snag a copy of silent hill a few months back ....it sure aint a metal zone ill tell ya!
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PanicProne » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:52 pm

So after having trouble with a stubborn skin infection on my hand for over two years I'm finally healed and can play games again without it setting of things. Took a long break earlier this year (cause holding any sort of gaming device would cause a rash on my hands (prob cause of friction and sweat etc), I was fed up and to heal up. But now started to play a little again.

Bought Death's Door on release and really wanted to enjoy it but ended up really hating it, sadly. Partly cause it's too damn difficult (yes, I'm a casual and suck at games) but also cause it's insanely boring. It looks amazing but when you keep dying, there's nothing interesting and unpredictable about the story and the characters (it might well just be me here but I can't believe how these have received praise) are truly "meh". Credit to the creators for pulling it off and had it been a little more forgiving (all it needs is to be able to heal during battle) perhaps I had liked it too. Yes it's beautiful, but imo way too overhyped. Disappointed to say the least as I really wanted to enjoy it.

Switched to The Messenger and woooow is that so much better. Funny writing, cool levels and most of all never feels unfair. Best learning curve of a game ever, I think. Cool music and just FUN to play. Might not finish it but even so I really enjoy playing it. Also started Night In The Woods after my gf finished it a few months back and has pushed me to give it a go. So far it's decent. It's the type of game that really fits me but a few hours in and it feels a little slow. Just engaging enough though.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Still haven't checked out Metroid Dread, but I've been messing around with a few really fun games lately:
Gunfire Reborn is basically a roguelite with similar art and gameplay to the Borderlands series. It's really fun, but the levels and bosses are somewhat limited.
Just started Void Bastards a few days ago. Also a roguelite where you're trying to repair a prison spaceship by searching the surrounding wrecks for parts. Every time you die the AI in the prison ship thaws another prisoner to send out to fix the ship and each one has slightly different traits that can help or hurt you.
I also bought Axiom Verge and Blasphemous. I started Blasphemous, but didn't get far. Seems really interesting and difficult. Kind of looks like a metroidvania Dark Souls with weird religious symbolism. Haven't checked out Axiom Verge yet, but I've only heard good things about it.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:41 pm

Axion Verge is fun, i grabbed 2 but havna started it. Blasphemous looks so spooooky but playing it felt like the parts of Castelvania i always hated, so stopped not too far in might come back to it. Ender Lillies is BEAUTIFUL and so fluid to play. having a blast with it buuuuuut....

as i get older, there's just things i have to accept. i LOVE Borderlands, but i don't have the time to play it the way i like, laying on the couch for 4 or 5 hours at a time. so haven't even looked at the Tiny Tina spinoff (i think it's like a fully acuralized Bunkers And Badasses game? which sounds... AWESOME.), haven't had the tiniest desire to hunt down a PS5. right now Switch gaming is what fills my Pretty Lights Go Bloop BLOOP needs really well.

and even in that truncation of desires, there appear to be more limits. since i can snatch 20 minutes before work in my relaxing before go go times time, and a half hour/hour here or there when my shit sleep patterns have me awake next to my slumbering wife, more puzzle based or bite sized gameplay options are what i keep going back to.

Dead Cells was beautiful for that. puzzle drop games a blast and chunkable. i have played soooooo damn much Slay The Spire the last few months. Pocekt Shovel Butts seems like it might be the next small chubbler for me.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:44 pm

I highly recommend checking out Gunfire Reborn. Looks and feels a ton like Borderlands, but each run is like 30 minutes to an hour long. Gameplay is very similar, but there’s not really any story to it.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:36 pm

that's only out on PC so far? looks neat, but i have the one (decent, pretty new midrange) PC, it's just for musics. i haven't gamed on a computer for decaaaaaades. well. 2 decades. still.

MULTIPLE DECADES.

TECHNICALLY.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion