Looking for some new monitors

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Looking for some new monitors

Postby aedes » Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 pm

So my work is giving me a little gift card for my decades of service. Yay me. My current cheap m-audio monitors are fine, but one speaker is dead, so really they're not fine.

Looking to get a new set for the home studio--recommendations? I think I'll have $200 to spend?
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Looking for some new monitors

Postby Psyre » Sat May 30, 2020 12:21 am

I have no experience with any of the following, but after exhaustive research before deciding to go way more expensive, I'd say JBL lsr305's or Kali Audio LP6's. Internal amps at this range will have noticeable noise when idle, just the way it is. The Kali's are front ported, so better if they will be near a wall. As far as small form factor, I have been reading positive marks on IK's iLoud's.

I know these are all about $100 more than your stated budget, but it would be worth the patience if it would take a couple months to stretch it IMO.

Otherwise, looks used and local. I found some Presonus Eris 8's for a little over $200 that went to my collaborator. Yamaha HS offerings are good second hand options in a buyer's market, but are probably the most expensive out of everything I've mentioned. Sometimes they pop up in craigslist "studio bundles" though.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sat May 30, 2020 5:43 am

I bought some Presonus Eris 4.5 on the advice of worra. I know nothing about monitors but I liked them and they were easy to place to get the listening field right. Had to send them back because they were a floor model and one of the connectors was fucked.

Replaced them with some M-Audios (because of Corona they weren't sure when they'd get a new set of presonus in). They weren't much cheaper and they'll do the job fine because I'm a numbskull when it comes to mixing, but they aren't in the same class.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby aedes » Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Oooooooo thanks you two. Will check these out! I'm also a numbskull...and clearly I have no idea about this stuff :lol:
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aedes » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:24 am

Ordered the Eris 4.5s :rock:
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 am

Rad! Kinda jelous tbh :lol:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Return to Tech & Recording