Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:
multi_s wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:.Montreal Assembly, to me...is kinda like the Simpsons of pedals.

lol probably the last comparison i would expect. but thank you for your support!

Can we get a 5th anniversary style box but instead of triangles, it's Simpsons, and instead of green, it's yellow?
I'm sure Disney would be fine with that.

•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Phuzzy856 wrote:Spent the night in 'regular' Mode3.

WTF?

1) Control tempo (DIR1)
2) Step variance (DIR2)
3) 1-3 playback heads modulated (DIR3)... is this like 1/2 way thru it goes to 2, and then all CW it's 3?

So, if I record 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and (8 notes), leave DIR2 at '0', and DIR3 at '0', will DIR1's 'repeats' slow down/speed up as I twiddle the DIR1 knob?

And then with DIR2, is that going between single notes, two, three, four,... and so on?... like a 'scale'?

All I know is that I set it up, recorded something, and this rush of notes came back, in all registers, it was... unbelievable!!!

Again, since Ct5 doesn't 'remember' settings, I wasn't just yet able to dupe last night's awesomeness.

Either way, I guess I've figured out that Modes 2-3 do 'do' anything UNTIL you record 'something'. Is that correct?

Those are the extra parameters with Q held up.

It adds a random step LFO to the regular DIR 1/2/3 setting. Ie it adds the 2. SO you can think of the DIR setting as the mean, then a sort of s/h waveform is added to the setting.

Q up + DIR 1 -> controls how often a change in step occurs
Q up + DIR 2 -> contrls the varuiance, you could think of it as the max amplitude or spread of the s/h signal
Q up + DIR 3 -> which heads the wave is added to. Can be Just DIR 1, DIR 1 and 2 or Dir 1 2 and 3.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:41 am

multi_s wrote:

WTF?

1) Control tempo (DIR1)
2) Step variance (DIR2)
3) 1-3 playback heads modulated (DIR3)... is this like 1/2 way thru it goes to 2, and then all CW it's 3?

So, if I record 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and (8 notes), leave DIR2 at '0', and DIR3 at '0', will DIR1's 'repeats' slow down/speed up as I twiddle the DIR1 knob?

And then with DIR2, is that going between single notes, two, three, four,... and so on?... like a 'scale'?

All I know is that I set it up, recorded something, and this rush of notes came back, in all registers, it was... unbelievable!!!

Again, since Ct5 doesn't 'remember' settings, I wasn't just yet able to dupe last night's awesomeness.

Either way, I guess I've figured out that Modes 2-3 do 'do' anything UNTIL you record 'something'. Is that correct?

It adds a random step LFO to the regular DIR 1/2/3 setting. Ie it adds the 2. SO you can think of the DIR setting as the mean, then a sort of s/h waveform is added to the setting.

Q up + DIR 2 -> contrls the varuiance, you could think of it as the max amplitude or spread of the s/h signal
Q up + DIR 3 -> which heads the wave is added to. Can be Just DIR 1, DIR 1 and 2 or Dir 1 2 and 3.

Jesus, this blows my mind. At first I had absolutely no idea what Phuzzy was even asking, but I still haven't really dig into all of the secondary features in this pedal. Mostly, I've just dug into different quantization in mode 1, but there's so much hiding in here! And now there's a second version of the firmware!? Mind-boggled! I need to go read some manuals
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 pm

MrNovember wrote:
multi_s wrote:

WTF?

1) Control tempo (DIR1)
2) Step variance (DIR2)

Jesus, this blows my mind. At first I had absolutely no idea what Phuzzy was even asking, but I still haven't really dig into all of the secondary features in this pedal. Mostly, I've just dug into different quantization in mode 1, but there's so much hiding in here! And now there's a second version of the firmware!? Mind-boggled! I need to go read some manuals

The secondary functions really open things up. Even in mode 3, using the "E" toggle to add in tape heads is such a cool way to build sound. It really is worth digging in on those secondary functions, there is also volume controls for each head by holding Q down. That's really game changing...but makes things a bit jumpy when setting volume and then tweaking the param, but still super cool.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Phuzzy856 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:28 am

ogguitar wrote:

WTF?

1) Control tempo (DIR1)
2) Step variance (DIR2)

Mode 3 is 3 playback heads for one sample or really short loop. Forgot if it's 4 sec or 8. Record a loop then Dir 1 is speed/pitch/direction for head 1 from +1 oct/2x speed reverse at CCW, through -1 oct/0.5x speed just before noon then -1 oct/0.5x speed just after noon through +1 oct/2x speed at full CW - and everything in between. Same sweep as other modes.

Dir 2 and Dir 3 both have the same sweep as Dir 1, and all knobs control the exact same thing but for 3 different playback heads. E switch activates 1 playback at top, 2 at middle, and all 3 at bottom. So you can have say one arpeggio or riff playing at 3 different speeds and pitches with in both forward and reverse.

That's the gist of it. There's quantization, playhead volume, etc. as well with more advanced controls. IIRC you get one overdub. If you do a second overdub you'll lose the original sample, then whatever was oldest if you keep overdubbing. Think of it like the Sith Rule of Two.

Hey ogg... I know you from TGP, right? lol... this seems funny, haha!

Anyhow, ok, I spent a 2nd night with Mode3, and just read your description.

I guess my initial reaction is ... IS THAT IT???? At least, that's where I was getting last night. SO-

1) I record an '8 note riff' (slowish, @4sec)

DIR1 = forward, no Pitch fluctuation
DIR2 = Oct +1, forward
DIR3 = Oct -1, forward

OK, so now I hear the 'regular' one at regular speed, the +1 at double-speed, and the -1 at half-speed.

So, now I have all 3 secondary functions at '0'

DIR1 = speed at which the Repeats(?) cycle thru (kinda like Zellersasn?)

DIR2 = DO I HAVE TO QUANTIZE IN MODE2 (Transcendence), AND THEN GO TO MODE3- CUZ ALL THE 'NOTES' I'M GETTING BACK ARE ALL 'OUT OF TUNE'/TOTALLY RANDOM It literally sounds like scary Avant-Garde Classical music from the 60s! I just can't get ANY 'in tune' notes AT ALL?

DIR3 = I just can't tell 'where' on the dial the 2nd and 3rd Voices come in... sometimes it seems @10:00, sometimes @4:00.

I have been Muting DIR2 to see how 3 is functioning, and Muting DIR3 to see how 2 is functioning.

LOL, I NEED TO HEAR AN EXAMPLE OF ITS USE..

OVERDUBBING: It seemed to me that it just keep on overdubbing and overdubbing endlessly, until there was a BigMush. Mode TWO definitely erases each time you re-record. Here it SEEMS to just pile on (could be wrong, but the density just kept getting thicker and thicker)

I'm just not sure I have a practical use for this? What to do with it? huh... (scratches head)
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby mathias » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am

Soundscapes and really careful overdubbing?
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ogguitar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 am

Phuzzy856 wrote:Hey ogg... I know you from TGP, right? lol... this seems funny, haha!

I guess my initial reaction is ... IS THAT IT???? At least, that's where I was getting last night. SO-

DIR2 = Oct +1, forward
DIR3 = Oct -1, forward

OK, so now I hear the 'regular' one at regular speed, the +1 at double-speed, and the -1 at half-speed.

DIR2 = DO I HAVE TO QUANTIZE IN MODE2 (Transcendence), AND THEN GO TO MODE3- CUZ ALL THE 'NOTES' I'M GETTING BACK ARE ALL 'OUT OF TUNE'/TOTALLY RANDOM It literally sounds like scary Avant-Garde Classical music from the 60s! I just can't get ANY 'in tune' notes AT ALL?

DIR3 = I just can't tell 'where' on the dial the 2nd and 3rd Voices come in... sometimes it seems @10:00, sometimes @4:00.

I have been Muting DIR2 to see how 3 is functioning, and Muting DIR3 to see how 2 is functioning.

OVERDUBBING: It seemed to me that it just keep on overdubbing and overdubbing endlessly, until there was a BigMush. Mode TWO definitely erases each time you re-record. Here it SEEMS to just pile on (could be wrong, but the density just kept getting thicker and thicker)

I'm just not sure I have a practical use for this? What to do with it? huh... (scratches head)

haha yeah I'm on a few forums from my past gear quests. I don't really do any overdubbing, but I have used mode 3 a little - most often for reverse loops. It seems like some of the stuff you were describing was in the secondary functions Scott pointed out, which I honestly haven't really used tbh.

I'd suggest starting in mode 3 after powering up, click Q up once for the fifths and octaves option, set E to top position, DIR to unity (2:00ish?), and record a basic loop. It should play pretty normally. You can then speed it up or slow it down with DIR 1. The other knobs shouldn't do anything without holding the Q switch. Reset DIR 1 to unity when you're done, then click E to middle position with the loop still playing. You should hear the 2nd play head come in. DIR 2 should only control that one, and the pitches/speeds are independent of each other (i.e. running parallel rather than series). So you should be able to keep DIR 1 playing normally and find something whacky with DIR 2. DIR 3 won't activate until E is in the bottom position.

One setting I quite like with all 3 is looping a basic arpeggio with one head -1 oct reverse, the second one normal speed reverse, and the last +1 oct reverse. Clicking E to activate the different play heads makes for some interesting layering options. Hope this helps!
ogguitar

involved
involved

Postby multi_s » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 am

Phuzzy856 wrote:

Hey ogg... I know you from TGP, right? lol... this seems funny, haha!

DIR2 = Oct +1, forward
DIR3 = Oct -1, forward

For Q up secondary functions ...

It is not the speed of the repeats on DIR 1, it is the rate of the LFO. The LFOs value then controls the speed of the repeats.

Q setting is global. IE you do not have to set it in one mode then go to another mode.

mode 2 and transcendence are 2 different things. "Mode 2" is referring to the patch used when the M switch is in the middle position.

Transcendence refers to a global setting which has some impact on how all 3 modes behave. you can read about it in more detail in the manual.

http://mtlasm.blogspot.com/p/count-to-5 ... mware.html

Also RE DIR 3 in mode 3 with Q up, i mispoke earlier. The heads get affected in reverse order, so min is no head affectected, then as you go clockwise first DIR 3 head is modulated, then 2 and 3, then 1 2 and 3. This is also mentioned in the manual linked above.

Also yes mode 2 there is no overdub. Mode 3 there is overdub, if you want to clear it you "tap" the record button instead of holding it.

S
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ogguitar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am

On a slightly different note, what patch cable connectors is everyone using with your CT5? Looking to possibly order some square plugs (SP-400) but don't wanna get something that won't fit. Also wanna avoid having one random as cable that's different from the rest.
ogguitar

involved
involved

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 am

ogguitar wrote:On a slightly different note, what patch cable connectors is everyone using with your CT5? Looking to possibly order some square plugs (SP-400) but don't wanna get something that won't fit. Also wanna avoid having one random as cable that's different from the rest.

I usually use switchcraft pancakes but w Ct5 you can't use both so I use switchcraft stubby ends to connect to count to 5
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am

I am an idiot and despite having a blue CT5 and a 5th ann. CT5 there is a large stupid part of me that wants to order the "something new" JUST IN CASE IT IS THE MOST BEST ONE. I truly loathe myself.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 pm

There's no mojo here.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Phuzzy856 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 am

mathias wrote:Soundscapes and really careful overdubbing?

I just wanted to quote this^^^

Are you talkin bout Mode3?

If so, I know what you mean by 'careful' overdubbing. Since even just a one-note sample can yield such an explosion of sound (with all 3 TapeHeads engaged)- I like to capture a real quick E-harmonic, 1st string, 5th fret- that one harmonic is creating the 3 Voices which may have 'Variance'-

SO- if you then Overdub a quick G-harmonic, 3rd string, 12th fret- JUST THOSE TWO NOTES ALONE gives you a rollicking carousel of arpeggiation (is that a word?lol).

Then, if you continue Overdubbing, it seems you can be as careful as you want, it's STILL, lol, going to mutate.... and MUTATE IT DOES!!! LOL

IS IT 'ENDLESS OVERDUBBING' in Mode3?, cuz I keep doing it and it seems the result keeps getting thicker and thicker
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby Phuzzy856 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 pm

I think I have reached the baton-passing moment in Ct5 Mode3 where I need to hop over to the Zellersasn and take what I've learned in Ct5 and see HOW it applies to Zellersasn. Since I got Zell first, I already have an understanding of the differences, even with the overt similarity of both having 3Tapeheads.

Ct5 Mode3:

I've spent about a week now just resetting it each time I power-up. The hidden benefit of Ct5 'forgetting' stuff is that it forces you to do the process a few times, getting it under your belt.

1) Scott said Q-up/DIR1 is the 'Rate of the LFO' which then determines the 'Speed of the Note-Change'. OK, I CAN hear the end result of this as I go CCW-CW-CCW, back and forth. Notes cascade at a lower Rate/CCW and at quite a flurry CW.

HOWEVER...

2) NOTE VARIANCE/DIR2:

a) with DIR1='0', the only thing DIR2 does when you start turning CW is LOWER THE PITCH of the entire sample. DO I HAVE THAT CORRECT?

b) ok, with DIR1='0', set DIR2 at 'Noon'/50% (arbitrarily). As you start moving DIR1 CW... WOAH NOW!!!... here's when all these Random-Disembodied-Notes start occurring. It sounds as if they start moving/spiraling 1 semi-tone out, then 2 semi-tones out, then 3 semi-tones out, and so on. By the time you reach '2:00' you got spasmodic palpitations in all directions almost at the same time! And, except for the 'Octaves/Fifths Quantization', there seems to be no way to get the notes to do my bidding, or even curtail their extremity? DO I HAVE ALL THIS CORRECT?

I have been sampling:

1) quick, clicky High-Harmonics, which set up a rhythmic pattern somewhat reminiscent of the 'Halloween' Theme

2) Arpeggiated Mystery Chords, @3sec: this sets up a moody tapestry of returning notes- as the NOTE VARIANCE feature doesn't 'do it in key', Q-up/DIR1 needs to be at '0' or you will get some f'd up notes in your PerfectMysteryChord

3) 1 8sec Riff played 1x
1 4sec Riff played 2x
[b]1 2sec Riff played 4x[/b]

With a 2sec Riff played 4x, when you release the softswitch, you have a nice rhythmic bed under you as you continue playing the same Riff. This will take some more experimenting. Mode2 seems similar yet a lot easier overall than Mode3.

I haven't yet toyed with bringing in-and-out the 3TapeHeads with the 'E' switch. I've been leaving all 3 on just to absorb the totality of what's available.
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

Postby Phuzzy856 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 pm

I did forget to thank Scott for his '32ms' Post.

My main, and probably only, problem I've been having is 'Capturing-too-quick' so the device doesn't-Capture-my-Capture. Since in Mode2-3 "2 quick taps" of the Softswitch Erases-the-Sample, there IS a FineLine between hitting that 32ms and missing it. I know, I know, I'm being just a touch caffeinated with my CaptureFoot, lol! When I ease up a bit it's fine.

MODE2 REDUX:

Obviously, this is the most power-up-and-go friendly Mode, no secondary issues other than Quant. Here I've used all the above 'Types of Samples' to great effect, example- arpeggiating a MysteryChord with a measure of Randomization and then just playing over it- PERFECT! Or, a SuperQuickCapture each time you change a chord, or even clicking on each note of a Lead.

With LEN S cut quite short, the results have that 'Transmissions from the Stars' sound that works great with Delay+RingMod!

WHAT ARE 'FOOT GUITARISTS' (not TableTop) DOING WITH MODE2?... Mode3?
Phuzzy856

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly