Epi Firebird Studio? Yay or nay?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Epi Firebird Studio? Yay or nay?

Postby frigid midget » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm hoping to get some feedback here, I know this place doesn't have the most traffic, especially during the summer I guess...

Anyway, I'm into the firebird shape, and I like the fact that it's not as popular as the LP or SG.

Used to have a Gibson Firebird Studio for a little while, with P90's. Couldn't afford to keep it, and I needed an actual humbucker equiped gibson style guitar. And I still do :)

The Epi Firebird I have my eye on fits my tiny budget, but it's a two hour drive, so I'd love to hear from anyone here who's messed with this partical version/model.
It's the older one with humbuckers, dot inlays and no neck binding. No raised body center thingy, no funky steinberg tuners, no "faded" finish.

I need something that'll hold its own for pseudo metal type jams, with gainy Tool style riffing. I'm guessing it comes with generic pickups, but that's easy enough to upgrade if I have to. What's the overal build quality though, is there any reason to NOT make a lowball offer?
I'm not concerned about "the" firebird tone. I'm not into blues or 60s/70s rock, this one would be used for heavy disorted shit only.

There's still a bit of wiggle room for price negotiations btw. What would would be an okay deal?

Thanks!
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Epi Firebird Studio? Yay or nay?

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:57 am

i don't know the specifics of that model but check it's proper firebird build (through neck, however many pieces of wood etc) otherwise it might just be an awkwardly shaped sg with a more delicate headstock that doesn't fit any cases/gig bags
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:16 am

Yeah, it's not one of those older ones with the bolt-on neck. It's neck throug, but doesn't have the raised center part on the body.

Overal it'll probably still be an akwardly shaped SG, which I'm totally fine with actually :joy:

It's an aesthetics thing more than anything really. Everyone and their moms are rocking Sg's, and I'm one of the few people whi dig the oddball Firebird look. And I actually don't find it any more akward or uncomfortable to play than a Les Paul, with its thick body, sharp edges, heavey weight,...

Comes with a case too btw, so no worries there :)

Just wondering if it'll do agressive stuff better than my fenders do. But yeah, if it doesn't sound too different from an SG, I guess it'll probably get me in the ballpark :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zork » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:30 am

One of my ex bandmates had one, it sounds and plays basically like a les paul. I have a japanese copy of a traditional Firebird that seems to be very, very close to the original. Total different beast. The Epi Studio is pretty dull and bassy in comparision. Maybe have a look at the latest Epi Firebird reissues from 2020? I think they look much cooler as well with the smaller Pickups, narrower pickguard and the raised middle section.
Zork

committed
committed

Return to Guitar and Bass