What's your fuzz about?!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What's your fuzz about?!

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 pm

the thing with airtrash volume is that the pedal itself doesn't have a true "master volume", the blue knob maxes out at about 11 o'clock and then it adds a different kind of texture to the sound. nothing to do with my amps volume, which is ample!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:i am philosophically opposed to the "fix a pedal with another pedal" mentality!

I definitely agree with this. When I’m recording I’ll do whatever dumb combinations of things I have to in order to make it sound right, but if I’m playing on my own or with other people the pedal needs to be able to hold its own.

I used to try this approach, if I had an enormous pedalboard with a programable switcher this wouldn’t be an issue. But where I want to keep my board relatively simple, each pedal has to be able to do its thing without help.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:01 am

I've really been loving the elements with the mix pretty low being smashed with another OD.

I've become one of those clean-blend into DI people.

Help.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 am

I'm bass primary and have not found anything better than the Sanford & Sonny BlueBeard, but as a big fan of Broughton Audio, I have the Maestro Fuzz, Locust Star, and Dystopia on my board...and also an unpleasant surprise for sputtery.

I've been finding myself grabbing the Ezhi & Akka BROM fuzz quite a bit lately too. That thing crushes getting into velcro and PLL territory.

For guitar, I keep grabbing the MAE / EAE Eldritch Blast. The added EQ gives SO much thickness on the bottom end, that I've been leaning that way over my DA120 for the Brrrrr sound. Really digging the MAE Maybe that was mentioned...should be another batch soon, if you are overseas, I think retailers just got some.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:28 pm

I've never really find good use for oscillating bleep bloop fuzz peds, other than the occasional solo noise sessions in my living room. Same goes for gated fuzz.
I might be getting old, but if a fuzz only sounds good in my living room, and doesn't behave when it has to play with other pedals, or if it dissapears in a loud mix...It's not my kinda fuzz.

- Medium gain MIAB type pedal or Rat in front of a Muff. A muff is too good to dismiss cause of how bad it cuts through a mix. Took me a while to realise that.
- Tricked out tonebender, like my Clusterfuzz. It's like a swiss army knife, does everything from overdrive to velcro.
- FZ-2. A class of its own, It's not a superfuzz or a beebaa or an octave fuzz. It's the shit.
Last edited by frigid midget on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:11 pm

i've been running a green ringer into a machine as a strategem in my war against tonality
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:22 am

Multiwave Pro for cleanish to gnarlsome octave up distortion on other octavey fuzzes, that may or may not be fuzzing pitch shifted signals...now with some occasional Pigtronix Octava somewhere in the mix for one more extra level of octascreamage.
Really enjoying the germanium madness of my Tomsline G-Fuzz (original spec Arbiter FF). Everything I hit it with yields different flavors of fuzz. Pickups, guitar knobs, even just a buffered bypass in front sounds different than going straight in. Dark boost causes different kind of freakstorms than a bright one...Hot Tubes is of the dark variety and is my still loudest OD/Boost, even after all the recent new ones.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sutarappa » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:46 pm

I like this effort.

Picked up some nice jewelry in recent times...

Bass into noiseKick Diabeetus (fuzz+trem) into Peavey Mark VI -> Peavey 412. This on top of unfuzzed signal into Acoustic 450, distotion cranked -> Ampeg SVT-215.

Liquefies coverbanders, sunglass indoorers, mixdriver dodgers, and proximate females.

Luxuriant fuzz life. Gratitude. :joy:
There is a 500 character limit.
sutarappa

committed
committed

Postby the_bright_undead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 pm

qersty wrote:THE SHIT for me has been running FF set gated and just about where it starts doing that PLLesque trails and ran into my HBE germania44.

Lately been running two separate combos:
EHX Blackfinger into a Dreamcrusher (also set with the bias rolled back for a fucked up decay), then into a model feT. The Blackfinger is more of a tube-powered boost with very little compression, it makes the Dreamcrusher go nuts.

also, been running the Clang into a Virus that i got from Jero. Killer! The Clang also works great after the Virus.

Blackened Soul wrote:Right now the thing is all about stacking 2 octavias through the treble/guitar side of my rig through a 4x12 while running a Russian style bmp through the bass side through a 1x18 :thumb:

.:rock:.
good dealings: laowiz, ianmarks, stomping stones, weebles, Errant Tiger, radish, themeanreds, K2000, Never
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 pm

I'm still in love with my Test Pattern from Hell/Pest Tatterns.

Of late I've enjoyed slamming them with a purple pedal I had built by one of our long-time members, a dual treble booster (the booster half of a Bee Baa and a germanium Rangemaster with switchable order).

I could probably live with that combo in the dirt department without complaint.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 am

rfurtkamp wrote:I'm still in love with my Test Pattern from Hell/Pest Tatterns.

Of late I've enjoyed slamming them with a purple pedal I had built by one of our long-time members, a dual treble booster (the booster half of a Bee Baa and a germanium Rangemaster with switchable order).

How does the boost part compare to the rangemaster? I thought it was just turning off a volume knob before the fuzz (i think im confusing this with some hohner? fuzz)
the_bright_undead wrote:
qersty wrote:THE SHIT for me has been running FF set gated and just about where it starts doing that PLLesque trails and ran into my HBE germania44.

Lately been running two separate combos:
EHX Blackfinger into a Dreamcrusher (also set with the bias rolled back for a fucked up decay), then into a model feT. The Blackfinger is more of a tube-powered boost with very little compression, it makes the Dreamcrusher go nuts.

also, been running the Clang into a Virus that i got from Jero. Killer! The Clang also works great after the Virus.

Blackened Soul wrote:Right now the thing is all about stacking 2 octavias through the treble/guitar side of my rig through a 4x12 while running a Russian style bmp through the bass side through a 1x18 :thumb:

.:rock:.

compressor into fuzz is the shit!
friendship wrote:i've been running a green ringer into a machine as a strategem in my war against tonality

How many folds is that? Sounds like it is a complete and utter eradication of any sinewave present :thumb:
Warpsmasher wrote:Multiwave Pro for cleanish to gnarlsome octave up distortion on other octavey fuzzes, that may or may not be fuzzing pitch shifted signals...now with some occasional Pigtronix Octava somewhere in the mix for one more extra level of octascreamage.
Really enjoying the germanium madness of my Tomsline G-Fuzz (original spec Arbiter FF). Everything I hit it with yields different flavors of fuzz. Pickups, guitar knobs, even just a buffered bypass in front sounds different than going straight in. Dark boost causes different kind of freakstorms than a bright one...Hot Tubes is of the dark variety and is my still loudest OD/Boost, even after all the recent new ones.

I miss my dark boost so much! Super awesome into my bass practice amp. I dropped it and it stopped making a sound, cant figure out what happened to it :cry: kinda sad cause it was my first diy pedal. I saw your post about the tomslin in the gas thread and it looks cool. is it negative ground? it would be cool to get a couple and see how different they are. the multiwave is cool. I looked up used prices cause i assumed they were outdated and uncool by now, shocked by how much value they have held
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sutarappa » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Onceuponatime, I ran a Dark Boost into a Malekko E. Filter. Sounded like a goddess who made a mistake... :joy: Then the Ampeg blew up, and sounds were elsewhere...
There is a 500 character limit.
sutarappa

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:29 am

sutarappa wrote:Onceuponatime, I ran a Dark Boost into a Malekko E. Filter. Sounded like a goddess who made a mistake... :joy: Then the Ampeg blew up, and sounds were elsewhere...

I would rock with any godess making a mistake :thumb: my amp is in the process of blowing up. It sounds great but I think one is supposed to be cautious of a tube amp that sounds like INFANEM made it... (filter caps?)
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:32 pm

qersty wrote:
rfurtkamp wrote:I'm still in love with my Test Pattern from Hell/Pest Tatterns.

How does the boost part compare to the rangemaster? I thought it was just turning off a volume knob before the fuzz (i think im confusing this with some hohner? fuzz)

It's two different on the BeeBaa - one or the other. It's more of a dirty affair on the Bee Baa, a little fuller range. Feeding the Rangemaster into it has grand results simply because it makes everything go splat quite nicely!

I should note the Bee Baa boost doesn't have much clean, but it never goes to full on fuzz nor even close - it's a different character than the fuzz itself, and it's apparently loathed enough that half the Bee Baa clones change or omit it.
Last edited by rfurtkamp on Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:38 pm

qersty wrote:I miss my dark boost so much! Super awesome into my bass practice amp. I dropped it and it stopped making a sound, cant figure out what happened to it :cry: kinda sad cause it was my first diy pedal. I saw your post about the tomslin in the gas thread and it looks cool. is it negative ground? it would be cool to get a couple and see how different they are. the multiwave is cool. I looked up used prices cause i assumed they were outdated and uncool by now, shocked by how much value they have held
I've got all my new minis hooked up to the Caline power supply, which has 300 ma main outputs vs the other cheapos' 100 ma...it only gets hummy when the Frequout is hooked up to it (high MA draw/needs its own). I also have the Tomsline Black Teeth now, and am very happy with that too. Feel like I've already got the best two from Tom's line, definitely gonna keep an eye on them.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear