i said 'State of the Phaser' - put down that razor

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: State of the Phaser/Fuck 2020

Postby qersty » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:06 am

Been getting into using cocked phaser tones and it sounds great with fuzz before. You can go inbetween like hm2 tones and really honky mid boosted distortion

i just keep feeding my latent Brian May fangirlism...
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Never » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:50 am

qersty wrote:echorec what's the deal with the tc phase? looks cool. the plug thing bothers me tho what does it do?

I picked one up recently, original B/K version, I love it! I only have a ph3, fucked up small stone, and cheap Russian phaseur fleur clone to compare it to though. Not fully clear on what the plugs are for, but I gather it’s for something like tonal range? Mine only came with the red plug, and it definitely sounds a little darker with it in, not a huge change. (I found some info here and there about using an expression pedal instead, I'll try that eventually or CV if I can get enough info that it seems safe...)

At first, I was only using it on (bass) synth and some drum samples, and I thought it was crazy transparent and subtle in almost all settings. I put guitar thru it more recently, and now I see it can be quite chewy and pronounced with more frequency content (still seems quite "transparent" or "clean", in that there's not an immediate change in tone like my other phasers). I think it would work great for cocked wah / no sweep settings, because the notch vs cut knob is a really solid tone shaper, and the 4, 8 & 12 stage settings all have fairly different character.

I don’t know, like I said I love it - it does 10 second sweeps, which is beautiful - but I think it’s really missing a regen / feedback knob. If it had that and an LFO offset knob, to give it the doppler thump, it would probably be the perfect (sine wave) phaser. I put it in a feedback loop on my mixer, and then it works perfectly well on all instruments, including drum machine! If you’re gonna do that or have a feedback looping send/return pedal (also sounds great in my Tåken) then I’d recommend it without reservation. For guitar (again, I have the B/K) version, idk, I can play with it more before I get a good feel for it... But if you're looking for something that does amazingly well not sapping your original tone at all, just morphing it into phase shifts, also I think it would satisfy

edit: Editing this post, because it is *not* subtle on clean guitar - at least not when I plug directly into it; got some really walloping bass frequencies out of it. Almost like a LFO filter / auto-wah, that's how much it was sweeping the frequencies
Never

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:52 am

I've been such a phaser junkie recently. 3-stage on the empress is the shit! Really tempted to beyond 4-stages and have something with ridiculous resonance to get ridiculous space sounds
Yadig wrote:One time I smoked heroin in a car and felt like Jer Garcia. Fat, stoned, beautiful.
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:53 am

qersty wrote:I've been such a phaser junkie recently. 3-stage on the empress is the shit! Really tempted to beyond 4-stages and have something with ridiculous resonance to get ridiculous space sounds
Yadig wrote:One time I smoked heroin in a car and felt like Jer Garcia. Fat, stoned, beautiful.

IIRC there are up to 16 stages in the Ghost Fax :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:36 am

Paul_C wrote:
qersty wrote:I've been such a phaser junkie recently. 3-stage on the empress is the shit! Really tempted to beyond 4-stages and have something with ridiculous resonance to get ridiculous space sounds

IIRC there are up to 16 stages in the Ghost Fax :)

Faxxy :drool:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:07 am

yeah - i too adore thee three stageness on the Empress, and generally am a low-stage lover (but yeah odd stage #s ftw (lookin' @ u Maestro with yer 5 stage yazoo)), but the Ghost Fax with so so many stages is truly awesome - I especially like it for the high res pinging sounds with a stuck lfo :snax: :joy:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 am

Ibanez put out a new phaser in the mini 808 format. It switches between 6 and 4 stages so it may be a rehash of one of the tonelok phasers?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BlackOceans » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:52 am

Well, picked up my first phaser the other day, I just got your standard small stone nano (newish graphics). Things cool and does what I want it to do just fine.... just need to figure out a wah (probably some time of crybaby), and a decent ish analog delay (probably used), and my board is "done" for the time being
BlackOceans

involved
involved

Postby qersty » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 am

BlackOceans wrote:Well, picked up my first phaser the other day, I just got your standard small stone nano (newish graphics). Things cool and does what I want it to do just fine.... just need to figure out a wah (probably some time of crybaby), and a decent ish analog delay (probably used), and my board is "done" for the time being

I have a wilson wah, its pretty nice but needs deoxit
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:24 am

I finally nabbed a Boss PH-2. Been on the look for one forever, but they always seem to be a hair over my used price threshold - found a used one for $70 CAD, all my stuff is in storage so I haven’t even tested it out. The only other one I have is a PH-1r. I love that green colour scheme.

Somehow the Boss four knob configuration seems to look more pleasing than the three? Can’t figure that one out.... DS-1 no! Turbo Distortion yes!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:52 pm

ZOMG :omg: , I just heard/seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgMOY6_icU

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:49 pm

that's such a vibe! :lol:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:26 pm

Warm Audio is doing $50 off these Jet phasers for a few more days. (April special)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... jet-phaser
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BlackOceans » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:24 pm

qersty wrote:
BlackOceans wrote:Well, picked up my first phaser the other day, I just got your standard small stone nano (newish graphics). Things cool and does what I want it to do just fine.... just need to figure out a wah (probably some time of crybaby), and a decent ish analog delay (probably used), and my board is "done" for the time being

Ended up just get a fairly beat up but still just fine Crybaby for like $40, and I pulled the trigger on a echo brain, just to have basic decent versions of both wah and delay. Besides, used, "well enjoyed" wahs got mojo right? Hahahaha

Haven't had a chance to try either one yet smh lol
BlackOceans

involved
involved

Postby qersty » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 pm

BlackOceans wrote:
qersty wrote:

Ended up just get a fairly beat up but still just fine Crybaby for like $40, and I pulled the trigger on a echo brain, just to have basic decent versions of both wah and delay. Besides, used, "well enjoyed" wahs got mojo right? Hahahaha

Haven't had a chance to try either one yet smh lol

thats the best kind of crybaby
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear