NPD: Earthbound Throat Locust

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: NPD: Earthbound Throat Locust

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm

The otherday I had a bit of time and did a quick plug'n'play demo of the Throat Locust.
I love this pedal so much, there's a ton of sounds achievable with that EQ and clipping switch!

I have 2 of these, pictured in the video is a 2020 purple sparkle unit. The Other I have is a 2017 black, which has a trim pot inside to tailor the available max gain (of course I maxed it out, so that you have a bit more gain than the 2020 model). Soundwise they are the same, more or less, but I have feeling the newer models have a bit more range on the high and mid pots (while the old one has overall a slightly bit more mid hump).

gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm

:rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby MaxMaps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:09 pm

not to derail this thread but how similar is the fuzzlord HM6?

https://fuzzlordeffects.com/product/hm- ... 1-3pm-est/

are they the same pedal? Or are they really different?
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 am

vidret wrote:dude, nice. best riffy/metal demo of this out there, if I didn't already have it I'd get it after watching this.

Thanks chap!

MaxMaps wrote:not to derail this thread but how similar is the fuzzlord HM6?

https://fuzzlordeffects.com/product/hm- ... 1-3pm-est/

are they the same pedal? Or are they really different?

I have the HM6 as well: I got it because of the clean blend feature. It's a good pedal, but I really like better the Throat Locust.
My points HM6 vs. TL:
- gain knob: on the TL you have a better control and range more or less over the whole knob, HM6 is more thru to the HM2, so a tiny bit to full blast in 1-2 degrees turn. Also TL has more gain on tap than HM6.
- voicing: they are voiced differently, the TL being more open and bright, focused, and the HM6 is like there's a lowpass filter that is cutting some of the high end. I don't think is a bad thing, and by thinking about Fuzzlord, maybe that's their touch for that doom/sludge sound. A friend after sending him a sound comparison of both (where I tried to set them to sound very close, tole me the HM6 to his ears is more similar to the HM2). TL has the BIG PLUS of the parametric mid control and the clipping diodes switch, which realy lets you shape the sound the way you want.
- bass control: I love it better on the TL! On full is a subbbass blast/earthquake! On the HM6 I have the feeling it boost a wider range on low frequencies, so if you fully open it the sound became quite muddy.

I like the cleand blend, especially that with blend full on dry you have enough level range to use the pedal as a clean booster! (but the best distortion pedal I have with cleand blend is the BSRI SFG: there you don't have a clean blend but 2 separate output volumes for clean and distortion, which make a lot more sense and it's a more flexible system).

Here my demo-vid, recorded with the very same setup s for the Throat Locust:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:34 am

vidret wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:The otherday I had a bit of time and did a quick plug'n'play demo of the Throat Locust.
I love this pedal so much, there's a ton of sounds achievable with that EQ and clipping switch!

I have 2 of these, pictured in the video is a 2020 purple sparkle unit. The Other I have is a 2017 black, which has a trim pot inside to tailor the available max gain (of course I maxed it out, so that you have a bit more gain than the 2020 model). Soundwise they are the same, more or less, but I have feeling the newer models have a bit more range on the high and mid pots (while the old one has overall a slightly bit more mid hump).

dude, nice. best riffy/metal demo of this out there, if I didn't already have it I'd get it after watching this.

You guys are the worst.
Whenever i am trying to stay clean, somebody pulls out the Throat Locust and i am back in the GAShole.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Now, if a fellow U.S.citizen is willing to help me with shipping, I may be in the condition to grab one (got to sell something first) :cool:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 am

vidret wrote:
what amp you running dowi? If you find that big muffs sound somewhat good through your rig then this will sound amaze and you should get it immediately.

you know i am a big muff lover so..

NOT.
HELPFUL.
:mad:

(I play a Hiwatt custom 50 btw, i'm quite sure is gonna sound massive in it. totally different thing, but at home i have a Boss Katana, which takes pedals quite nicely too)
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:08 am

Dowi wrote:you know i am a big muff lover so..

NOT.
HELPFUL.

Then you need also the Earthbound Supercollider! :!!!:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 am

vidret wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:
Dowi wrote:you know i am a big muff lover so..

NOT.
HELPFUL.

Then you need also the Earthbound Supercollider! :!!!:

we're helping! :joy:

Yes indeed! Look how cute these 2 together are:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (709.89 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

:omg: :!!!: :omg: :!!!: :omg: :!!!:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 am

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Let there be known that you are both marked as the worst friends of the month.

Luckily i already had a Supercollider (sigh), and currently i am already have 3 different muffs and don't have space on board even for those ones.

Throat Locust GAS keeps on intensifying.. Too bad I can't find one in the EU, and I've been constantly looking for it since december.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm

This is the reply Earthbound Audio himself gave to somebody who asked him on instagram what the trim was for:
"it sets the maximum gain when the DIST knob is at or near max. Turn the trimpot counter-clockwise to tame it a bit or turn it fully clockwise to breathe fire."

so it simply sets the range of max distortion available.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby goosekevin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 am

goosekevin wrote:this thread has got me really wanting an hm2 variant

got a throat locust :cool:
deeply into it. love the shoegazey wall of sound things it does so its last in my chain, love the mids control and feel like it totally changes the game based on the og hm2 i borrowed for a while.
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 am

vidret wrote:
goosekevin wrote:
goosekevin wrote:this thread has got me really wanting an hm2 variant

got a throat locust :cool:
deeply into it. love the shoegazey wall of sound things it does so its last in my chain, love the mids control and feel like it totally changes the game based on the og hm2 i borrowed for a while.

i endorse this message :success:

welcome to the family :!!!:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to General Gear