Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:14 pm

703940AC-E115-4FDE-BC8E-4ED0FB208C6A.jpeg
703940AC-E115-4FDE-BC8E-4ED0FB208C6A.jpeg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

Parallel telecom transformer passive diode ring
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:54 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Image

Parallel telecom transformer passive diode ring

:)* :love: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 pm

That's super pretty, passive rings are the best. Rejection can be a beast though.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:07 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Yea, Cwejman passed away earlier this year. He was a great designer. The prices have gone insane.

Here is that passive ring mod from above. I have some other ideas using different transformers, but I guess the important thing is that it works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZmRa0NAo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeGGMFOmlk

...and picks up the radio.

Actually not bad balanced either once I got my carrier and modulator levels similar.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:43 pm

outstanding, lg! :snax: :love:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 pm

missed the boat on this analog frequency shifter run outta muffmodwiggler:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Image
three hunnert dolla
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:05 pm

This page though! :love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:20 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 am

bookmark'd :snax:

i found this comment from Mr. Frostwave on muffs to be full of interesting tidbits:

re: the Blue Ringer:

"I used the AD633 multiplying chip in that. Designing a ring modulator without noticeable bleedthrough was as hard as anything I have ever done - often people put a noise gate in. Note that any mains hum on the signal input will modulate the carrier & be very obvious, giving the impression of bleed through. Incidentally, I found that even when the hum-modulated carrier output was buried in the noise floor in the scope image, it was still audible. I hadn't expected to be able to hear something that I couldn't see."

I wonder of there's an easy way to diagnose whether "carrier noise" issues are bleed vs. mains hum modulatin' the carrier, short of moving house to a place with modern, reliable power :cry: :idk:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:57 am

It’s usually mains power outside of generalized level imbalance Except in more rudimentary designs like the carlin and diode ring.

The old ehx mains power freq analyzer has two trim pots to really level the signal too which need adjusting from time to time.
But a lot of bleed though is just power supply keeping the stuff opening in my experience.

Also, gain, compression, stuff that ain’t good at filtering some offset and just like that can keep a carrier audible.

Havent experienced it too much since I got power figured around the house (varies widely by time of day, what’s on the same power strip, and even if the light is on or off).

Balancing the signal good and keeping the gain off line noise should be generally good enough. The frosteave stuff generally wants a hotter signal and some boost on a guitar before (like studio electric) to really balance the signal with the hotter carrier. Moog has that always on preamp to get around it (which is why it’s always on by design I’m guessing so there isn’t too much volume difference when bypassed).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 pm

y'know what's scary? i actually followed all of that.... :lol: :hug: srsly - all good points, lg - thanks!

that's my next gear frontier - getting an actual gear room/studio (went from "never gonna happen" to "maybe?" in the space of a month, so, who knows?) and getting an electrician in there :snax:

and then, the final frontier:

https://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/201 ... bouts.html

:p :lol: :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm

So I've been out of the loop for a while on ring mods. What's the best ring mod pedal around these days and why is it still Randy's Revenge?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:53 pm

Dandolin wrote:y'know what's scary? i actually followed all of that.... :lol: :hug: srsly - all good points, lg - thanks!

that's my next gear frontier - getting an actual gear room/studio (went from "never gonna happen" to "maybe?" in the space of a month, so, who knows?) and getting an electrician in there :snax:

and then, the final frontier:

https://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/201 ... bouts.html

:p :lol: :snax:

Buchla 100 style!

Except for the throughzero stuff. Djangofire had some videos of that in the 100 though. I think?

Invert the signal a few times and you got a phase shift (or get a an oscillator like Angle Grinder).

I got one of these to do it in guitar: https://www.foxroxelectronics.com/2boost.html

Don’t know where I out it though.

neonblack wrote:So I've been out of the loop for a while on ring mods. What's the best ring mod pedal around these days and why is it still Randy's Revenge?

Still prefer the moog, rma, hexe and diode rings myself. :idk:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Dunno what diode is!

You mean minifooger or maximum fooger?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear