Cool Doomy Pedal - The Black Arts Pharaoh

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Cool Doomy Pedal - The Black Arts Pharaoh

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:13 pm

My custom Pharaoh showed up today! The black one can take a short rest now.

univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ransome » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Baxandall wrote:Nice review Ransome!

Thanks, it was easy to write; the pedal is really great. I have actually started to re-record my parts on our new album, since I got it.

Ran$ome
Ransome

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby MEC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Holy Schnikes wrote:My custom Pharaoh showed up today! The black one can take a short rest now.

Awesome :!!!: I was thinking about getting a second one as well.
If you find the time could you give some details on what they sound like with one going into the other?
Right now I'm running mine on low gain/silicon with the fuzz around 9 and the volume at 2 into a Big Muff (modded for more volume, bass and gain) and they sound pretty good together.

I wonder if two Pharaohs would be even better?
:idea: Mark, you might want to start hunting for bigger enclosures. :idea:
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 pm

I'll line 'em up and let you know. I got the germ option on the custom too, excited to check that out. Stuck workin' now though, which blows!

Need to get on it though because the black one is headed out shortly, to do much bigger and better things. We've got plans for it to represent the Pharaoh's greatness in a major way!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby insubordination » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Two Pharaohs stacked is insane, almost too much. Two Pharaohs run in stereo on two amps with complementary settings, now that is something else.
Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

insubordination wrote:Two Pharaohs stacked is insane, almost too much. Two Pharaohs run in stereo on two amps with complementary settings, now that is something else.

Agreed, I'll have to try that as well, most likely results in the fullest, thickest fuzz monster tone in the known universe!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

So I had the chance last night to put the two Pharaoh setup to the test, OMFG, sounds incredible! The first thing I did was stack 'em, pretty much expecting a bit of a noisy mess, and boy was I wrong. It sounded incredible, like a raunchier, nastier, thicker version of themselves. The results changed dramatically based on adjusting settings and I stumbled across some amazing, blistering tones! Even the Pharaoh loves the Pharaoh.

The Germ option is a must also, IMO. Creates some smoother/creamier results with a little more warmth overall. Sort of a mesh creating the heaviest fuzz/distortion combo ever, really nice addition and a logical step from the Diodes OUT to Diodes IN to Germ settings, really runs the gamut of available tones.

The ulitmate, however, was using both pedals at different settings in a 2 amp setup with my Carr Slant 6V and Orange TV heads, just beyond HUGE, single greatest fuzz experience of my guitar playing life. I don't run 2 amps all that often but I might start lugging both when I play from now on. If you own a Pharaoh, you know how good it sounds on it's own. You also know it packs a plethora of amazing fuzz tones when you get to tweaking. Just imagine two of them set up to compliment one another...

Finally, I found out this morning that my neighbors filed a noise complaint and they don't complain about shit! That's a true testament to the greatness of the Pharaoh.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bassboar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:26 pm

So......awesome. I WILL OWN ONE!!! I WILL!!!
sanfordandsonny wrote:guitars are hammers if you put some electrical tape on the handle so the blood doesn't make the hammer slippery so be it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Good deals with: Bellyheart, bronzetalon,kbithecrowning, fuzzmax, jwar, misc1600, hatshirt, colin, chippywallace, Monkey Boy, skullservant, jumbosteelie, foomanfat, sanfordandsonny, pez.period, proroby, excane
Bassboar

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dorfmeister » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 pm

So has anyone compared the Pharoah to the Gnomeratron. These two are on my radar right now. But I will only own one.

I think it is kind of funny that I started this thread but I have yet to own a Pharaoh!
dorfmeister

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Holy Schnikes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm waiting on a VTF so I'll let you know. I ordered it to complement the Pharaoh though, really two entirely different things. Pharaoh is so simple and straight forward, you can dial in a shit load of cool tones real quick, and they all sound HUGE and natural and perfect.

The VTF looks to be extremely tweakable, maybe some Pharaoh tones within, probably depends on the diodes you choose to order with it...we'll see. I'd be extremely shocked to find any current fuzz that even equals, much less bests the Pharaoh at what it does.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dorfmeister » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Holy Schnikes wrote:I'm waiting on a VTF so I'll let you know. I ordered it to complement the Pharaoh though, really two entirely different things. Pharaoh is so simple and straight forward, you can dial in a shit load of cool tones real quick, and they all sound HUGE and natural and perfect.

The VTF looks to be extremely tweakable, maybe some Pharaoh tones within, probably depends on the diodes you choose to order with it...we'll see. I'd be extremely shocked to find any current fuzz that even equals, much less bests the Pharaoh at what it does.

So what are the VTF diode options?
dorfmeister

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Holy Schnikes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 pm

dorfmeister wrote:
Holy Schnikes wrote:So what are the VTF diode options?

Diode options include:
Silicon
Germanium (NOS)
Germanium (Generic)
Schottky
LED

You choose one each for first/second stage clipping on the Standard VTF, I just described what I was looking for and had McSpunckle hook it up. The Deluxe offers a 5 way rotary switch/es that contain diodes, so you can get more options this way. Lots to choose from.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:38 am

Shit, came in to discuss but realized its been so long since I had one, I'd be talking out my rear. I do on occasion reminisce about that sound. My memory is that it had a sweet spot and I loved it until I did everything I thought I could do with it which says more about my lack of imagination, unfortunately, than it does about the pedal. The Sweet and The Flying Tomato were like that for me too aka sweet spots, one sound I like, run that sound until I'm repeating myself.

Is there a specific setting you are enjoying?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:26 am

I sort of miss it occasionally too. You aren't helping, vidret.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:23 am

vidret wrote:
manymanyhaha wrote:

On the whole the pedal doesn't have quite enough gain for me.

That's the way I remember it too and I was (and still am) playing it through clean amps as well. Like it stopped at 10 and I kept wanting it to go to 12. I think a lot the appeal of the pedal for many is that it maintains a lot of clarity from the guitarist's playing but a lot of times, I want the exact opposite.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear