That dork from JHS is easily impressed, maybe thats why...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: That dork from JHS is easily impressed, maybe thats why.

Postby Pepe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 pm

But all those JHS pedals look like cheap junk! I don't get it. :erm:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Confuzzled » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:20 pm

qersty wrote:it's kinda surprising what a footing jhs has in the consumer group of your average buyer of pedals (not ilf hikikomori). i guess he is what shows up on youtube when you search for "distortion box" :idk:

I'm not an expert one the person or their business but from what I've read over the years (please correct me if I'm wrong) he started out doing pedal mods, then clones, and started a successful YouTube channel that is produced quite well from what I've seen, so I have a few questions:

If everything about the hate church was true, why would boss partner with him?

If the hate stuff was true, why hasn't he been "cancelled"?

Is Sweetwater a place where workers live and work on a campus like a cult? Are they tied to a religious organization?

I can only gather that the guy knows how to use the same enclosures, buys components in bulk at greater discounts and has figured out how to maximize his profit margin along with having enough workers getting a living wage in Kansas.

I do not own any of his pedals, but he's obviously doing something right.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:36 am

People buy Wonder Bread. I don’t to have to think it’s that good for me to find that fact to be credible.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:11 am

Gone Fission wrote:People buy Wonder Bread. I don’t to have to think it’s that good for me to find that fact to be credible.

Oh man I Love Bread :love: :cool: :dance:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:02 am

Confuzzled wrote:
qersty wrote:it's kinda surprising what a footing jhs has in the consumer group of your average buyer of pedals (not ilf hikikomori). i guess he is what shows up on youtube when you search for "distortion box" :idk:

I'm not an expert one the person or their business but from what I've read over the years (please correct me if I'm wrong) he started out doing pedal mods, then clones, and started a successful YouTube channel that is produced quite well from what I've seen, so I have a few questions:

Is Sweetwater a place where workers live and work on a campus like a cult? Are they tied to a religious organization?

I can only gather that the guy knows how to use the same enclosures, buys components in bulk at greater discounts and has figured out how to maximize his profit margin along with having enough workers getting a living wage in Kansas.

Doesn't he outsorce a lot to cusak or somebody? As I understood the jhs HQ only does marketing and concepts. And producing youtube garbage!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am

qersty wrote:
Confuzzled wrote:

Doesn't he outsorce a lot to cusak or somebody? As I understood the jhs HQ only does marketing and concepts. And producing youtube garbage!

According to JHS social media, they have a staff of people that claim to build things. They regularly give those folks a spotlight to talk about their favorite record or whatever.

At the risk of being called out for judging people based on their look (and yes, people can dress different for a video even if that isn't their normal look), if you look at/watch the videos of the staff JHS seems to be hiring folks whose fashion sense and image bucks against what you'd expect someone who supports hate churches and is anit-LGBTQ+. In my experience, that crowd of haters isn't a big fan of things that don't fall in the gender norms of appearance like dyed hair, off beat fashion, even certain vocal mannerisms, etc. And yes, it isn't uncommon for someone called out as a bigot to do a 180 to prove they are not...but at the same point, I look at cancel culture as a bad thing for society. While some crimes cannot be undone or forgiven, not EVERYTHING deserves a life sentence with no chance to improve yourself.

We all pick and choose what we find totally reprehensible vs forgivable and those lines get even more blurry when an artist we admire did something reprehensible...but at the end of the day, most if not all of us live in glass houses anyway.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:18 pm

cosmicevan wrote:
qersty wrote:
Confuzzled wrote:

According to JHS social media, they have a staff of people that claim to build things. They regularly give those folks a spotlight to talk about their favorite record or whatever.

At the risk of being called out for judging people based on their look (and yes, people can dress different for a video even if that isn't their normal look), if you look at/watch the videos of the staff JHS seems to be hiring folks whose fashion sense and image bucks against what you'd expect someone who supports hate churches and is anit-LGBTQ+. In my experience, that crowd of haters isn't a big fan of things that don't fall in the gender norms of appearance like dyed hair, off beat fashion, even certain vocal mannerisms, etc. And yes, it isn't uncommon for someone called out as a bigot to do a 180 to prove they are not...but at the same point, I look at cancel culture as a bad thing for society. While some crimes cannot be undone or forgiven, not EVERYTHING deserves a life sentence with no chance to improve yourself.

We all pick and choose what we find totally reprehensible vs forgivable and those lines get even more blurry when an artist we admire did something reprehensible...but at the end of the day, most if not all of us live in glass houses anyway.

well you probably could argue things like dyed hair etc is fashion that has belonged to a counterculture(s) that has more progressive views on sexuality and shit but also things like that is incredibly mainstream. also weirdo christians in america seem to act "hip with the kids" alot (to my outsider eyes). idk i think we should draw a line between "cancel culture" and "funneling money into anti-fag establisments". I dont think info like this getting out will hurt joshuas biz much, sadly. not only has he got a seemingly dedicated buyer base, he has poower with the social media and stuff.

militant homophobe or not; he artificially raised the price of fx86 which should be enough of a crime against subhumanity...
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 pm

cosmicevan wrote:
qersty wrote:
Confuzzled wrote:

I'm confused. Who is cancelling JHS?

But, also, you're on a forum that was founded by Devi Ever. Is it really that surprising that post-Hyperion most folks decided to take their business elsewhere and or otherwise ignore that guy?

Regarding IHOPKC... this is what he was saying prior to the documentary. It's obviously quite different from what he's saying now.

You can make your own decisions regarding whether or not to buy his pedals. :thumb:

WL mag: When did you decide to start a business making pedals?

JHS: It actually has a lot to do with ministry. I was a full time worship pastor in a church in Jackson, MS and we felt that God was calling us to IHOP in Kansas City. This was a year long process of transition and in that time my mods and custom built’s started to really gather a following and become a part time job. So I resigned, we moved and the pedal business exploded into a full time job. It felt like Divine plan.

WL mag: When someone hears “JHS” what do you want them to know about you as a company?

JHS: I think the industry is filled with a lot of the same things with different labels, and we’re trying to be different. We’ve found a niche where you either love them, hate them, or haven’t heard of them. I would like for people to identify us with quality products, excellent service and innovative ideas.

WL Mag: How does your background in worship ministry affect the pedal making business?

JHS: I’ve been a worship leader for about ten years now, and pedal making actually came as a random transition for me, I went from worship leading full time into the guitar industry. We love Kansas City, we love IHOP, we’ve just seen a shift in our ministry to the business side rather than directly inside the church. Right now we are getting directly involved in funding several mission works in the 10-40 window and JHS as a whole is really hitting it’s stride as far as business as a ministry.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130108015 ... jhs-pedals
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:23 pm

yeah fuck jhs
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Eristic » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:00 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:yeah fuck jhs

This tbqh. Brevity and all that.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 am

I think it not outside the realm of possibility that making pedals could conceivably pull someone back from the eroding precipice of organized religion.

I'll probably not know for sure though, as I tend to avoid consuming their content.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 pm

meh...if JHS made anything interesting there might be a reason to have a discussion, but it's really just choosing his artwork over someone else's for a standard effect that I'm not interested in as is. I don't have the time nor care to look into everyone's history, but I do tend to avoid supporting makers whose dirty laundry has been dragged out into the public.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 am

cheers tp that! :lol: I mean it is the guy that thought making a tube screamer controlled by a microcontroller to change miniscule values is fun... and people ate it up? :idk:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 am

qersty wrote:cheers tp that! :lol: I mean it is the guy that thought making a tube screamer controlled by a microcontroller to change miniscule values is fun... and people ate it up? :idk:

I think Metasonix dude is a bit brash for his own good, but his thing about the vast majority of guitar players being fucking boring in I Dream of Wires was 100% spot-on. :lol:

https://youtu.be/UBsyWJdZHgM?t=487

Right around the 8 minute mark if the timestamp doesn't work.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:18 am

vidret wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:
qersty wrote:cheers tp that! :lol: I mean it is the guy that thought making a tube screamer controlled by a microcontroller to change miniscule values is fun... and people ate it up? :idk:

I think Metasonix dude is a bit brash for his own good, but his thing about the vast majority of guitar players being fucking boring in I Dream of Wires was 100% spot-on. :lol:

Right around the 8 minute mark if the timestamp doesn't work.

hey, i'm insane, can't blame me - here's the assblaster. it's a business strategy. :lol:

I dig this guy because he comes across as consistently disgruntled. I have to appreciate that kind of dedication.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear