Caracol External Input or CV?

Moderator: autopilot

Caracol External Input or CV?

Postby autopilot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

What would you rather have in the caracol, external input control jack or an expression jack to control a parameter (if so which parameter)?, help me decide
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Caracol External Input or CV?

Postby Tristan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 am

The external input is what is on the current Caracol, right?
I've heard some awesome demo's with that on here somewhere but I don't think I'll ever get around to using that because I never have an extra source available really.
Maybe one of those order switchers could work so you can run one pedal in the input of the Caracol and run it in your pedal chain as well but I don't know.
It's a very unique feature so that's very cool but it's also quite unpractical to use I think.

The way I understood is you're making this into a 6 knobber too, like my custom one, in that case I'd put the expression input on the control that was formerly on the toggle as it makes the most difference in the character of the sound, this is what I'd prefer (also over the external input).
Another option could be to put the expression input on the focus control to have more of a filter effect but I think that's less interesting for the Caracol.

By the way, I noticed that there's a few pedals that for some reason don't work with the Expressionator and Goatkeeper 3, I think because they're wired different (non standard), your Orbit is one of them and I guess you wire all expression inputs the same so it might be worth looking into wiring it in a way that it does work with those units, that would be really awesome!
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby univalve » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:40 am

I only own the dubscope but all three external CV Inputs work very good with my stuff (including goatkeeper). I can revisit this but i had Good Times with that Thing and CV.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 am

I just checked again, it does indeed work with the Goatkeeper 3 and so does the GB24 (another pedal I was having the same difficulties with), the weird thing is that with the Orbit you have to use a regular jack cable while the GB24 needs a stereo TRS cable, that's probably what led to my misunderstanding, sorry for the confusion…
I can't try out the Orbit with the Expressionator again at the moment because I seem to have lost all of my stereo TRS cables apart from one. :(
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby autopilot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 am

the orbit is wired as TS type (but also accepts TRS), for the expressionator you can use a TRS, probably the issue, is that the range is best suited for 25k expression
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby autopilot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 am

and if i'm correct, the goatkeeper the out jack is CV, so if it doesnt accept CV, it wont work as intended the expression parameter
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby univalve » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 pm

CV always TS cables, Not TRS (afaik)
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Copilot fx