Pedalboard Layout Nerdiness

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pedalboard Layout Nerdiness

Postby npfrs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:58 am

If you make thee sorts of drawings or find this intriguing, you might have a problem... I know I do.

I laid out the pedals before diagramming it out. I found a suitcase today that's the exact size I need. I'm hoping to finish this board officially over the next couple of weeks.
npfrs

committed
committed

Re: Pedalboard Layout Nerdiness

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:23 am

Wow, cool board and complicated too! I definitely see the need for a diagram with a signal chain like that. I use boring pedal 1 -> pedal 2 ->... pedal x -> single amp setups though because I'm too dumb for fancy routing, so there's no need.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby erector » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:10 am

I love doing this sort of thing (and looking at other people's drawings/diagrams).

...I occasionally draw diagrams featuring pedals/equipment that I don't even have.
Jerk Kerouac (harsh noise)
Kalimantan (improv not-jazz shambles)
ZDICM (space-drone-synth-thing)
erector

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

I have my current pedal board in a scale drawing in Inkscape. All pedals are too scale. Every time I make a purchase I put it into the diagram and rearrange my board digitally.

1) it's nerdy fun
2) I have saved so much time and hassle by planning it this way. I used to hate winging it then being short half a pedal and having to rip up everything.

So in conclusion: your diagram rules and the whole process of diagramming a pedal board is awesome.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 am

Btw: I understand nothing of that signal chain. My brain refuses to compute parallel chains and especially fails to understand the key master. Unless you're incorporating a ghostbusters VHS in your rig. I get ghostbusters.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Glenouille » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:23 am

I was doing it a lot when I had a huge board, and then I moved on to doing different things with smaller boards which were somehow simpler.
I found this pic from back then:

I need to do some drawings for the pedz I'm trying to sync, it really helps.
Glenouille

committed
committed

Postby Ghost Hip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

I used to think of pedal orders I'd try before a new pedal arrived. I'd draw them out in my notebooks in high school.

When I was planning the God Machine with Devi through email, I was drawing different ideas for it in my Anthropology class.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby sonidero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 am

YES!!! I have a couple notebooks full of diagrams and layouts and notes... I write down all the weird chains and tape projects in a notebook called "The Sounds and How I Made Them" so I can remember what the hell I was doing... I think about sounds all day and am always plugging and unplugging pedals and noise makers in my mind... Seeing stuff written or drawn out really helps you get a grasp of whats going on and lets you figure out whats really happening with the signal flow... Also I need a Keymaster bad...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Used to do it a lot when work was slow or I had new pedals on the way. I still find random pieces of paper with diagrams of pedals I no longer have :(

goroth wrote:Btw: I understand nothing of that signal chain. My brain refuses to compute parallel chains and especially fails to understand the key master. Unless you're incorporating a ghostbusters VHS in your rig. I get ghostbusters.

:lol: :lol:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby warwick.hoy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Ya'll pretty nerdy.

I like to formulate a signal chain before I tear down my board for a rethink. Usually that involves finding whatever piece of paper is handy and jotting down the names of the pedals in the flow that I envision.

For me the obsessive part comes when I'm trying to go to sleep and I'm just laying in bed agonizing, loosing sleep, over signal chains (or excitement over a new gear acquisition).
behndy wrote:"huh. i'm on acid."

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:
Mecha Shiva on Soundcloud.

WHY DID JOHNNY KILL? on Bandcamp. <--Beer Fund

Good Dealings with: futuresailors, Eric!, Multi_S, hatshirt, leastwise, Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D
warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I was gonna say that I once figured out how to use my 2880 as an awesome Delay with Reverse and Octave but I forgot to write it down and it was lost but I just figured it out again so I'll post here for nerdiness...

Arm the 2880 for a new loop and move the tempo slider all the way up, push record twice as fast as you can then push record again and play over the top and you have a delay where the time is set by the tempo slider... It works with the reverse and octave and if you let it record a lil longer you can get really long gnarly lo-fi delayzzz for dayzzz... :thumb:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby npfrs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 pm

goroth wrote:Btw: I understand nothing of that signal chain. My brain refuses to compute parallel chains and especially fails to understand the key master. Unless you're incorporating a ghostbusters VHS in your rig. I get ghostbusters.

It's a secondary looping-only pedalboard for a folk/electronic project. The signal hits my ABY and A goes to the Keymaster.

In loop 1 of the Keymaster is a small Mackie mixer with 4 inputs. The first is my guitar, with highs dimmed and lows boosted, for when I use my baritone or Whammy Oct -1. Second input is a microphone. Third input is a banjo and the fourth is a wildcard, but most often an SP-404 Sampler. The mixer output (mono) then goes back into the Keymaster to close the loop.

In loop 2 of the Keymaster is a Boss RC-3 loaded with sampled sounds (ambient, motifs, etc) into a killswitch (I'll explain) into a Freeze into an M9 then back to the Keymaster. The idea with this loop is padding. I can use the RC-3 samples to create pads and use the M9 to manipulate them OR I can create a pad with the Freeze and manipulate that. The killswitch means I can keep the loop open and the pad going without having my guitar signal run through the M9 and be affected. I might switch the order of the RC/killswitch now that I think about it...

The Keymaster then goes out into the right input of another RC-3 (used for looping) then the right input of the Boomerang III then the A input of the Voodoo Lab Amp Selector which splits to a SF modded Super Reverb and an Ampeg Micro VR 2x10 bass amp.

The B of the ABY goes into the left input of the looping RC-3 then the left input of the Boomerang III then the B input of the Voodoo Lab Amp Selector which splits to a Dr. Z Maz 38 with 2x10 cab and an Orange OR15 with 2x12 cab.

I think that explains it all?
npfrs

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:18 pm

erector wrote:...I occasionally draw diagrams featuring pedals/equipment that I don't even have.

I do this ALL the time when work is slow! It's the number one reason for my obsessive gas for pedals...I DEFINITELY HAVE a problem...

:facepalm: edited my dyslexic grammar.

Jero wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by MrNovember on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby npfrs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I forgot to point out there is no Ghostbusters VHS involved but there is a Point Break one.
npfrs

committed
committed

Postby Greenfuz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

jesus christ my pedalboard consists of like 3 things, maybe 5 if I'm doin somethin a little psych-ish
Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear