when an amp is not an option...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: when an amp is not an option...

Postby blahquaker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:12 pm

also, there are tube preamps like the verellen skyhammer and meatsmoke. I've been very happy with my skyhammer preamp for home practice.
blahquaker

committed
committed

Postby GardenoftheDead » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Vox Tonelab, Boss GT-8 (they can be found used pretty cheap), the aforementioned Tech21 pedals, or even a Behringer V-Amp.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby drehpehs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm

tashiattack wrote:I'm curious,

if they allow you to plug into the monitors, then why aren't you aloud to use an amplifier? It would be easier, and would sound better to mic a small combo amp...

I've brought that up many times. I've even told them I'd build an iso box and buy the mic and stand myself. I have a blues junior that handles pedals like a champ and a guy I used to play guitar with has said that he'd help me with the iso box and even come to the church and help me figure out the best option. I think it might be because so much of our congregation is older people that would be horrified is they saw an amp on the stage... A woman literally covered her ears one day while I was playing a solo. :picard:

They're just resistant to change...
drehpehs

involved
involved

Postby drehpehs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:46 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:I know they're not considered "cool" around here, but Tech 21's character series pedals sound really good. Each one does a pretty convincing imitation of a specific amp. I've tried the Vox and Hiwatt models and they're both pretty damned good. Run on of those before the DI and it'll sound decently close to an amp.

about how much do they run? I might consider that.
drehpehs

involved
involved

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:49 pm

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm

drehpehs wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:I know they're not considered "cool" around here, but Tech 21's character series pedals sound really good. Each one does a pretty convincing imitation of a specific amp. I've tried the Vox and Hiwatt models and they're both pretty damned good. Run on of those before the DI and it'll sound decently close to an amp.

about how much do they run? I might consider that.

New they're like 150 or 160. Can usually find them used around 100-110
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drehpehs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm

sonidero wrote:
MEC wrote:
tashiattack wrote:I'm curious,
if they allow you to plug into the monitors, then why aren't you aloud to use an amplifier? It would be easier, and would sound better to mic a small combo amp...

Toobs amps are the devil's playground.

:doom:

He forgot to mention, he plays these...

It's funny because I do love the features of those heads, I recall reading an article where Gates mentioned that a huge part of the process was finding a killer clean tone, and they do sound like they're pretty well rounded amps. The two voicings sound promising, plus the focus knob and noise gate are cool features. Plus it's all tube!! I have a really nice Fender tube combo (VM Deluxe), and my Blues junior. I've been looking into different heads lately and this one was the one that appealed most to me, plus it has cabinet emulation.
drehpehs

involved
involved

Postby drehpehs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Would a Yamaha GW50 work? I got it from a friend for 50 bucks and haven't really used it. I don't know how well it will handle having pedals before it.
drehpehs

involved
involved

Postby sylnau » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 pm

drehpehs wrote:Would a Yamaha GW50 work? I got it from a friend for 50 bucks and haven't really used it. I don't know how well it will handle having pedals before it.

Never tried... but the DG-Stomp handle pedal perfectly.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Weezer used to use those Tech21s.
Just sayin.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drehpehs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 pm

I think I'm going to try the GW50, it has a stack, combo, and tube simulator. Plus it has several effects I don't already have on my board, so that's nice.
drehpehs

involved
involved

Previous

Return to General Gear