Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 am

Holy Schnikes wrote:
AngryGoldfish wrote:I think it depends on the circuit. My modified Jet City has enough low-end for a small amp, especially on top of a 4x12. It didn't have that much bass before it was modified. My Fryette Memphis has tons of low-end for a small 30-watt amp. It has too much sometimes as with the right guitar it can flub out. I dig that about it. It has nothing on the bigger amps I've tried and owned so I totally get what you're saying, but I love it unconditionally. :D

Man, I agree. Both my Dwarvenauts have SHIT TONS of low end but one is actually bass spec'd so that's to be expected I suppose. I get what Skip is saying though in that those lows aren't always translated when you're trying to push a buncha speakers (esp 15s) with a mere 15-30W. Running 'em with my 2x12s or a pair of 2x12s sounds pretty massive.

I think alot of my perceived lack of low end is from being used to playing with kt88 / 6550 amps or bass amps and then switching to a little low power amp. My hiwatt has the least amount of bass out of my harem (even though it has more power then my verellen, but that's a 6550 amp) but its not really lacking just not pushing out as much. For me because I use alot of 15's I need that low end to get them pumping, but if your using just a 2x12 or 4x12 I can see them having more than adequate low end for 98% of the possible uses. It really all has to do with design though, the Jet City 20 which had no low end to me is the same chassis as Shannon's Dwarvenauts but they have mods. Through talking with Nick alot there's cap and resistor values they put in to limit the frequency bandwidth, which is what gives an amp its character, if you widen the frequency response to 20-20k it becomes more neutral and "generic" as it loses its character. But to me that's perfect, I want that full response so i can dial it out as I see fit. Subtractive synthesis is superior, as most amps filter out certain frequencies and even if you try and add it before hand via a pedal or EQ it still gets removed once it hits your amps preamp.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am

"Harem" is the perfect word to describe your collection of amps Skip. :thumb:
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 am

:lol: Thanks Shannon!
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:35 am

I just think Skip has yet to play the right EL84 based amp. The DoomTrain had a lot of bass. If I took like a sextet of EL84s or octet and ran that I would have 50-70W of total power and I bet the bass would be as good as a 2 Kt88 amp running at 70W
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

Tis entirely possible, my experience is limited to the Verellen Jet City and a Vox AC15.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

One day I will do a single ECC99 in push pull Class AB for like 8-10W and then see if bass can be pumped even at that low of a power
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 am

ryan summit wrote:i like that name railway15

Cool! Do you prefer Railway15 or Railway 15 with the space? I'm at odds. I'm a finicky bastard, sorry. :lol:

Holy Schnikes wrote:
AngryGoldfish wrote:I think it depends on the circuit. My modified Jet City has enough low-end for a small amp, especially on top of a 4x12. It didn't have that much bass before it was modified. My Fryette Memphis has tons of low-end for a small 30-watt amp. It has too much sometimes as with the right guitar it can flub out. I dig that about it. It has nothing on the bigger amps I've tried and owned so I totally get what you're saying, but I love it unconditionally. :D

Man, I agree. Both my Dwarvenauts have SHIT TONS of low end but one is actually bass spec'd so that's to be expected I suppose. I get what Skip is saying though in that those lows aren't always translated when you're trying to push a buncha speakers (esp 15s) with a mere 15-30W. Running 'em with my 2x12s or a pair of 2x12s sounds pretty massive.

I think having a depth knob like my Jet City or your Dwarvenaut also makes a huge difference. That kind of low-end is more chest thumping and air moving and less about the reaction of bass frequencies to guitar input. I think that's why modern amps use depth and presence knobs, because they add low-end and high-end without actually changing the way the amp reacts to playing.

skullservant wrote:This might have been covered, but are you going to have the speaker hardwired to the amp, or are you going to have it where you can plug the combo into a larger cab if you wanted to for whatever reason?

I haven't spoken to Nick about this. I was hoping to have the traditional speaker outputs with 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. A speaker cable would be hardwired to the speaker but can removed from the amp itself to accommodate extension cabinet(s).

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Through talking with Nick alot there's cap and resistor values they put in to limit the frequency bandwidth, which is what gives an amp its character, if you widen the frequency response to 20-20k it becomes more neutral and "generic" as it loses its character. But to me that's perfect, I want that full response so i can dial it out as I see fit. Subtractive synthesis is superior, as most amps filter out certain frequencies and even if you try and add it before hand via a pedal or EQ it still gets removed once it hits your amps preamp.

This is very interesting. It relates to your friendship of that 'hi-fi' sound. No frequencies are excluded for the sake of 'vintage qualities' or 'recording capability'. It's just pure unadulterated sound.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am

Oh the encyclopedia of future Dunwich projects, for ever growing, never shrinking. Just the way we like it.

AngryGoldfish wrote:This is very interesting. It relates to your friendship of that 'hi-fi' sound. No frequencies are excluded for the sake of 'vintage qualities' or 'recording capability'. It's just pure unadulterated sound.

Exactly! I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to tone, I'd rather have it available and take it out as necessary then need it and not have it there.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14 am

I'm the same with knobs and switches. One switch can make the difference between liking an amp and loving it. And of course, when you take the amp out of its original habitat (home), you can switch those switches and turn those knobs until its acclimatized to its new temporary resting place (stage). Some have the philosophy, and I agree with it for the most part, that the more you add to the circuit the more you take away from the core tone. Although that is the case, which is why Nick is installing a feature that removes both EQ's from the circuit effectively adding a boost, if you design an amp right then you can have three+ channels with loads of switches, effects loops, midi, etc. without consuming the guitar. In fact, it can add to it. Guys like CEC, Fryette, Dunwich, they know how to add a feature without it colouring the sound.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby amnesiac305 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:49 pm

I don't know why but I much prefer railway 15 compared to railway15.
Excellent Transactions: monkeydancer, dorfmeister, Rygot, bronzetalon, PumpkinPieces, Wes Mantooth, Deltaphoenix, Blooghost, Fuzz_Pi, Neanderthal Head, lordgalvar
amnesiac305

experienced
experienced

Postby Greenfuz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:25 pm

I like amps that have two knobs I'm a simple man I get overwhelmed with too many
Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 pm

More than six or seven knobs and one channel and my brain goes funny.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 am

here is the first design I came up with for Dan

I figured I can share this since we are making it a public discussion on this amp.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:48 am

Font looks pretty slick. :thumb:

Color scheme gonna be identical to your mockup, black print on white background or is that yet to be decided?
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby new05002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 am

i think dan is moving towards that but either way, thats the format the plate makers wants it so it can be etched any color from that look.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear