How's the Arc Effects Gamut?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

How's the Arc Effects Gamut?

Postby synthezatory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 am

Lacking some infos out there, to those who has fiddled with this pedal.. how was it and what's your setup? Been thinking of getting another booster. Thankies!
synthezatory

committed
committed

Re: How's the Arc Effects Gamut?

Postby jrmy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 am

Have you checked the product thread in the Shark Tank? There's at least one happy customer review in there, and two video demos.

viewtopic.php?f=211&t=28193
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby synthezatory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:04 am

jrmy wrote:Have you checked the product thread in the Shark Tank? There's at least one happy customer review in there, and two video demos.

viewtopic.php?f=211&t=28193

Yeah I believe I've seen that thread.. and that 2 videos are about their only demos available anywhere for the pedal. Thing is, I've always concerned on getting pedals directly from the builder, cos I wont be able to return it if it doesn't meet my expectation/match with my rig. Neeeed more inputs
synthezatory

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 am

It rules. it'll brighten up any fuzz you put after it, it'll take your dark amp and brighten it up, you can boost the hell out of your amp with it. It can be clean, it can be a little hairy around the edges. It gets LOUD. I still hold a special part of my heart close to the Gamut.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby synthezatory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 pm

skullservant wrote:It rules. it'll brighten up any fuzz you put after it, it'll take your dark amp and brighten it up, you can boost the hell out of your amp with it. It can be clean, it can be a little hairy around the edges. It gets LOUD. I still hold a special part of my heart close to the Gamut.

Now this is what I'm talking about, thanks! I've never used any kind of treble booster before, how's the gamut compared to others like ep booster or micro amp? I've been using the ep for few weeks now and loving it. I use it to drive my breaking up amp set it between 10-1 o'clock and get the dirt outta my amp. But it's also nice to be an always on pedal and set to minimum just to fatten up my guitar sound, this is what I'm planning to do with the ep and set it up at the first of the chain. So I need other booster specialized to crack open the dirt of my amp.

You've also mentioned about it being bright, how much bright is it? I'm just concern it'll be unbearable cos there's no treble/tone control other than range knob (adds bass?) since I'm using fender jaguar into a tweed-style amp (swart sst30)
synthezatory

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I've never used the EP or a Micro Amp, but I have used a Super Hard On, a Super Duper 2-In-1 and a general JFET booster. All of those literally take your signal and MAKE IT LOUDER without really doing anything except punching your amp in the gut. No coloring, discoloring, sag, bleh.

But with a Rangemaster, you're not dealing with Silcon, you're dealing with Germanium, which is like the whiny cousin of the family that everyone kind of looks at weirdly and sits at the opposite end of the table from at family reunions. What I'm really just saying is that Germanium acts a lot differently from silicon in that when you push a Rangemaster, it adds a lot of sparkle. Rangemasters are meant/created to brighten up dark valves.

But what if you aren't playing dark valves?? "To hell with British tone!" That's where the Gamut steps in and says "oh no, classic Rangemaster, you've lost your manhood, let me remind you of what makes you so awesome." The range control on the Gamut adds in another capacitor to the input, which in turn increases gain AND brings back some low end to the circuit. When you boost the volume on a standard Rangemaster, it gets gritty in a good way. But instead of being a thin gritty, you can make it a thick gritty with that range control. Like a thick stack of pancakes. You can turn that thin french mustache of a tone into a full on lumberjack beard and THAT is why the Gamut rules.

Sure, you can cut glass if you have the range control all the way down on the Gamut. I actually kind of dig the shrill tones of standard Ragemasters. But crank the range past 2 o'clock on the dial and you'll have to invest in a new razor.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby synthezatory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm

^I Lol'd

skullservant wrote:...When you boost the volume on a standard Rangemaster, it gets gritty in a good way. But instead of being a thin gritty, you can make it a thick gritty with that range control. Like a thick stack of pancakes. You can turn that thin french mustache of a tone into a full on lumberjack beard and THAT is why the Gamut rules.

Sure, you can cut glass if you have the range control all the way down on the Gamut. I actually kind of dig the shrill tones of standard Ragemasters. But crank the range past 2 o'clock on the dial and you'll have to invest in a new razor.

^^ This explains a lot and added more knowledge to my tiny head, thank you Skull-Master!

BUT.......

skullservant wrote: ... Germanium, which is like the whiny cousin of the family that everyone kind of looks at weirdly and sits at the opposite end of the table from at family reunions.

^^ THIS, you've said the magic spells.. now I'll be getting the pedal.

I appreciate your help broham!
synthezatory

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:15 pm

no problem dude!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Fuck, I totally want a Gamut now.

Love my Big Green Pi and have been longing for a Gamut ever since it showed up....
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby insubordination » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 pm

skullservant wrote:I've never used the EP or a Micro Amp, but I have used a Super Hard On, a Super Duper 2-In-1 and a general JFET booster. All of those literally take your signal and MAKE IT LOUDER without really doing anything except punching your amp in the gut. No coloring, discoloring, sag, bleh.

But with a Rangemaster, you're not dealing with Silcon, you're dealing with Germanium, which is like the whiny cousin of the family that everyone kind of looks at weirdly and sits at the opposite end of the table from at family reunions. What I'm really just saying is that Germanium acts a lot differently from silicon in that when you push a Rangemaster, it adds a lot of sparkle. Rangemasters are meant/created to brighten up dark valves.

But what if you aren't playing dark valves?? "To hell with British tone!" That's where the Gamut steps in and says "oh no, classic Rangemaster, you've lost your manhood, let me remind you of what makes you so awesome." The range control on the Gamut adds in another capacitor to the input, which in turn increases gain AND brings back some low end to the circuit. When you boost the volume on a standard Rangemaster, it gets gritty in a good way. But instead of being a thin gritty, you can make it a thick gritty with that range control. Like a thick stack of pancakes. You can turn that thin french mustache of a tone into a full on lumberjack beard and THAT is why the Gamut rules.

This is a good post. :cool:
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ARC Effects » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:00 pm

insubordination wrote:
skullservant wrote:I've never used the EP or a Micro Amp, but I have used a Super Hard On, a Super Duper 2-In-1 and a general JFET booster. All of those literally take your signal and MAKE IT LOUDER without really doing anything except punching your amp in the gut. No coloring, discoloring, sag, bleh.

Indeed!
ARC Effects

experienced
experienced

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm

StupidDream88 wrote:
insubordination wrote:

Indeed!

Sold me! :thumb:

Crimson King and Klone v2 gonna be mine too.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ARC Effects » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Holy Schnikes wrote:
StupidDream88 wrote:
insubordination wrote:

Indeed!

Sold me! :thumb:

Crimson King and Klone v2 gonna be mine too.

It all makes sense now.... :lol: :joy:
ARC Effects

experienced
experienced

Postby blindrabbit » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:38 am

Sheer brilliance. Arc Effects should hire you. This statement alone will probably sell a handful of Gamuts - I know I want one now!
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 am

:!!!: :hug:
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear