How to turn a Gloss finish into Satin?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

How to turn a Gloss finish into Satin?

Postby grokostimpy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm looking for some advice on how to make a normal gloss poly guitar into a satin finish.

Not looking to strip off the poly or make it a relic or anything, I just want to knock the gloss off and give it a satin-feel.

Logic would tell me either steel wool or sandpaper would do the trick, but I thought I'd ask here to see if I can learn from anyone else first.

Thanks!
grokostimpy

involved
involved

Re: How to turn a Gloss finish into Satin?

Postby Achtane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Seems like you could get the lightest steel wool ever and go over the body, then maybe lightly buff it. I don't really know though, never done it before. I do #0000 steel wool the backs of my guitar necks to make 'em smooooove, and they lose their gloss.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby masked elwood » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 pm

^^^^ yep. ^^^
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Man I LOVE a satin finish. You should post some before and after pics........ :cool:
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I tried one of those green scratchy pads fro washing dishes, but had way better results with super fine sandpaper. I've done two of them!
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby FuzzHugger » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Achtane wrote:Seems like you could get the lightest steel wool ever and go over the body, then maybe lightly buff it. I don't really know though, never done it before. I do #0000 steel wool the backs of my guitar necks to make 'em smooooove, and they lose their gloss.

masked elwood wrote:^^^^ yep. ^^^

Thirded.

0000 steel wool.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

I've done this twice in the last couple of years. I only have before and after pictures of one of them, and I will try to take pictures of the other tomorrow.

The first one I did was an Agile AL-2000, Honey sunburst flame. The thing looked like plastic. I stuck a plastic steel wool substitute to a random orbital sander, and hit all of the gloss. After that step, it was pretty dull. I then brought it up to the shine I wanted. I used some rubbing compound and a drill-mounted polishing pad to remove some of the scratches, then rubbing compound by hand, and then carnauba cleaner wax a few times. It left the instrument with a nice, warm sheen, and I think it looks a lot better. Pics tomorrow.

The second one is my Squier Cyclone. I did this one entirely by hand. I used the plastic wool, and then rubbing compound, and then cleaner wax. I like the results.

Before:

Image Image Image Image

After:

Image Image Image Image
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:53 am

Hah -- I was just looking up Mike's blog post because I thought the Cyclone came out looking nicely de-shined.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby grokostimpy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 am

Nicely done on that cyclone, Mike.

I have one guitar with a nitro finish that I routinely use 0000 steel wool to re-matte the forearm contour, because I tend to gloss it up with my baby smooth arms, apparently :) I'll give the 0000 a shot on the Poly finish too, see how it goes. I'll probably get to it after the holidays and post some pics. Thanks for the tips!
grokostimpy

involved
involved

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 pm

grokostimpy wrote:I have one guitar with a nitro finish that I routinely use 0000 steel wool to re-matte the forearm contour, because I tend to gloss it up with my baby smooth arms, apparently :)

That's my only real qualm with a satin finish, areas that are exposed to touch/friction on a regular basis will most definitely build up a shine.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Nelson Instruments » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm

There are two ways to get a satin finish. The first one is done while spraying the instrument. A flatting paste is added to the finish which difuses the light differently so it will never acheive a high gloss.
The other method (that I use) is to just knock the sheen down with 0000 steel wool. You can use a little lemon oil as a lubricant if needed.
0000 steel wool is approx the equiv of 600 grit sandpaper. So if you want the same result but with less visible scratches do some wetsanding with a higher grit (1000 or 1500 would work nicely)

This just flashed me back to a music store I used to work at. This kid had an american fender 57 reissue strat and he wanted to show me his relic job. He had always wanted a custom shop relic strat (and for what he paid for the guitar he had when new he could have found a used custom shop...but whatever I guess)

So he pulled it out of the case and I am horrified to see deep scratches that go in all directions.
I grab the guitar and notice the scratches on the back of the neck. The scratched weren't going in the long direction of the shaft of the neck (as they should.) but went with the curvature of the neck....so he basically put speed bumps in the neck.
I said "you did this yourself eh?"
he replied "yes"
"what grit sandpaper did you use?"
..........."60 grit" was the answer.
ouch!!!!! With a wave of his hand his guitar was worthless. Hahahaha
Nelson Instruments

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:59 pm

CRIPES
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

OK, here are the images of my AL-2000.

Before:
Image Image Image

After:
Image Image Image

I'm sure there are some people who prefer the super shiny look. It just looked and felt like plastic to me. I am really happy with how it came out.
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby the_carl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

That AL-2000 looks sooooo much better after. This is making not buying one way more difficult.
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kosta » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am

Those both look awesome Mike! And that story about that "relic'ed" Strat is a heartbreaker Bobby!
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass