so how's the rainy day delay coming along

Moderator: Ryan

Re: so how's the rainy day delay coming along

Postby excane » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 pm

madmax1012 wrote:regardless of what it is, I'll probably buy it because it's from the Dr.

Absolutely :!!!:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby VBD » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I lost the SDD, :idk: but I in the line for a rainy day delay :!!!:
VBD

interested
interested

Postby AngryGoldfish » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Ryan wrote:Good question.. I've got a couple ideas to try...

First, I'll try an all analog delay and see what kind of circuit I can get going with the V3205 chips. They're really the only viable analog BBD chip available now.. I've never tried one yet though and I didn't like the V3207 compared to the MN3007...

What I'd like to do even more though is get my hands on a decent resolution digital delay chip that can do very clean and pristine repeats of a reasonable length, at least a second. Then make it so that you can degrade that clean and pure delay and make it sound analog all the way to lo-fi with some kind of quality control knob.

I found a cool tutorial where a guy uses an ATmega32 to make a really simple delay processor.. I'm wondering if I can do something similar with high resolution AD/DA converters and maybe a chip or two of external memory.

Lots to think about with a new delay pedal and my hamster wheel is definitely turning...

I'm definitely in favour of this personally. Analog is cool and everything, but there are quite a few analog delays right now that can cover simple delay tones. I'd prefer something with a little more versatility myself. Of course, if you can do something like the JHS Panther delay then all well and could, but I don't want to pay $500 for a delay pedal unless it has as many features as the SuperDelay/Timeline/Timefactor or is as well-made and wonderful sounding as the Echoczar.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby madmax1012 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 pm

RYAN DO NOT FOLLOW THE JHS MODEL OF PEDAL DESIGN.
and if you could do some super special ILF-only graphics it'd be much appreciated
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby e-vang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 am

..just when I thought I was over with delay quest.. this comes along.. Ilusions, right? Oh well.. The effects loop sounds like fun!! Will be anxious about this. Water skipping ripples or multiple mirrors reflecting a jazzmaster could be involved on graphics too (just an idea)
GAS capacitors: Check
e-vang

involved
involved

Postby Ryan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Dudes, guys, this is a fun thread but this delay is like over a year away probably and I have no idea what chips I'm even using or what box I'll be using or any of that stuff, it's so far away. It's not going to be called Rainy Day Delay either, that was just a cool suggestion. I don't know what it'll look like but there won't be a special ILF finish either, we have to do 125 of every finish and ILF won't buy that many. And it probably won't be in a 1590BB, you can't fit a stereo delay with 6 jacks in that box, it's completely impossible. It's fun kicking around ideas but pointless to really get into nuts and bolts yet, let me get something bread boarded first at least!

AngryGoldfish wrote:Of course, if you can do something like the JHS

I'll stop being Dr. Scientist before I do anything like JHS. Or Farndurk or Freekish Blues.

I appreciate the input etc but come on, of course I'm going to make a killer sounding and powerful delay pedal! I'm not gonna work on a Dr. Sci version of the Carbon Copy or something! :p :cool: (no offense to the Carbon Copy, I just mean I'm not gonna do a simple 3 knobber mono analog delay pedal.................................................. mine's gonna have 4 knobs)
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muse FTW » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 am

Ryan wrote:Dudes, guys, this is a fun thread but this delay is like over a year away probably and I have no idea what chips I'm even using or what box I'll be using or any of that stuff, it's so far away. It's not going to be called Rainy Day Delay either, that was just a cool suggestion. I don't know what it'll look like but there won't be a special ILF finish either, we have to do 125 of every finish and ILF won't buy that many. And it probably won't be in a 1590BB, you can't fit a stereo delay with 6 jacks in that box, it's completely impossible. It's fun kicking around ideas but pointless to really get into nuts and bolts yet, let me get something bread boarded first at least!

AngryGoldfish wrote:Of course, if you can do something like the JHS

I'll stop being Dr. Scientist before I do anything like JHS. Or Farndurk or Freekish Blues.

I appreciate the input etc but come on, of course I'm going to make a killer sounding and powerful delay pedal! I'm not gonna work on a Dr. Sci version of the Carbon Copy or something! :p :cool: (no offense to the Carbon Copy, I just mean I'm not gonna do a simple 3 knobber mono analog delay pedal.................................................. mine's gonna have 4 knobs)

A) You gotta stop being such a badass. I already had a lot of respect for Dr. Scientist pedals, but now it's going through the freaking roof! :thumb:

B) Whatever you do with the delay, whenever you do it, I'll get one to add to the collection I'm building up. These pedals have never failed to impress, and always have some sort of magical mojo which sets them apart from the rest.

C) I think everyone needs to calm it down the some of the suggestions. Have some faith that Ryan will come up with a sick design, and a unique one at that!
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Waterpilot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:31 am

Muse FTW wrote:C) I think everyone needs to calm it down the some of the suggestions. Have some faith that Ryan will come up with a sick design, and a unique one at that!

:thumb:
Waterpilot

experienced
experienced

Postby spacelordmother » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Ryan wrote:It's not going to be called Rainy Day Delay either, that was just a cool suggestion.

spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby e-vang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:55 am

Hey Ryan, we all sound push-y don't we? Sorry about that, it's because we are so enthusiastic about your works ;) You do what you feel is right, everybody's supporting, I'm sure
GAS capacitors: Check
e-vang

involved
involved

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

Who wouldn't want to be Freekish Blues? They have red dots and everything. :lol:

We're just fucking around in excitement. No one expects all your current adventures to be dropped so we can nerd out over a future pedal, so don't worry. And I would never expect you to copy anyone else, least not JHS or FanDuck. I'm just waffling.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:56 pm

spacelordmother wrote:sadness

I'm sorry buddy! Was that your suggestion? It definitely is a gooder! I hate to be selfish and difficult here, but... this is my delay pedal and I want to name it how I want! *runs back to bedroom and slams door*

e-vang wrote:Hey Ryan, we all sound push-y don't we? Sorry about that, it's because we are so enthusiastic about your works ;) You do what you feel is right, everybody's supporting, I'm sure

Naw bub, you guys are awesome and I'm sorry that I get defensive/sensitive about stuff like this pretty easily. It's the impossible/unreasonable suggestions that fly in before there's even any idea of the actual circuit, I don't love 'em.

The enthusiasm and support is special and powerful and I love it extra much, so you betcha we'll always be discussing features and plans for the pedals.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 am

Ryan wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:sadness

I'm sorry buddy! Was that your suggestion? It definitely is a gooder! I hate to be selfish and difficult here, but... this is my delay pedal and I want to name it how I want! *runs back to bedroom and slams door*

e-vang wrote:Hey Ryan, we all sound push-y don't we? Sorry about that, it's because we are so enthusiastic about your works ;) You do what you feel is right, everybody's supporting, I'm sure

Naw bub, you guys are awesome and I'm sorry that I get defensive/sensitive about stuff like this pretty easily. It's the impossible/unreasonable suggestions that fly in before there's even any idea of the actual circuit, I don't love 'em.

The enthusiasm and support is special and powerful and I love it extra much, so you betcha we'll always be discussing features and plans for the pedals.

No, not my suggestion. I just liked it i a wholllllle lot. I like the rain a wholllle lot.

Dood. You have every right to do it how and when and why you want to do it! The reason why we all love Dr. Sci is because of how Dr Sci do!
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby madmax1012 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 am

what the fuck is a farndurk? a pokemon? I CHOOSE YOU FARNDURK
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby excane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am

Ryan wrote:

I agree with this 100%

It's your baby, you name it how you see fit! :)*
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist