Help with a borked bypass

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Help with a borked bypass

Postby The4455 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 pm

I think first we'll have to find out the meaning of the word "apposed".[/quote]
:lol: gosh

The4455, that class sounds interesting, what all did you guys do? As for the cold solder, the dull ones are typically the culprit. Side note, ROHS solder is somewhat dull looking regardless of a good/bad joint, in my experience.[/quote]

It was more focused on building circuits using logica gates, testing them in a program called multi-sim and breadboarding them. And Ohm's law and Kerchawf's law and stuff. It was FUN! but I am still a noob.
"The future is the past not yet written!"
The4455

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

well my soldering iron broke so I'm gonna pick a new one up when I get back from out of town, which joints should I be looking at again?
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Psyre wrote:well my soldering iron broke so I'm gonna pick a new one up when I get back from out of town, which joints should I be looking at again?

All of them, but start with the switch/s, test, and go from there.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby in_sherman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 pm

i think a solder joint can actually be somewhat resistive if you move the whole thing significantly while it's solidifying. good luck!
in_sherman

committed
committed

Postby schrodingersgoldfish » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:17 pm

You should start at the dirty chan bypass footswitch, as it seems to be not working when you have dirty bypassed.

If you have a multimeter, set it to continuity. set the DC to bypass, and put one prong on the lug of the DC footswitch where your guitar input goes and the other prong on the lug that has the wire that connects it to the other footswitch. If it comes up negative, test the two lugs that are joined by that short bit of wire, this is the actual bypass. I'm guessing the solder's gone bad on that little bit.

If you don't have a multimeter, just try re-soldering that little wire between the two lugs in the bypass. If you can, get a desolder pump or desoldering braid and remove the old solder and put some fresh stuff on there.
schrodingersgoldfish

involved
involved

Previous

Return to DIY Effects