so how's the rainy day delay coming along

Moderator: Ryan

Re: so how's the rainy day delay coming along

Postby hatshirt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:52 am

Ryan wrote:Yeah I think I'll go pretty nuts with this sucker...

I was thinking it would be cool if this delay also had all the waveforms and tap option that could drive other pedals too like the Cosmi and Trem and anything that works with CV. Like a CV master-station plus powerful stereo delay.

I like the two stomp switch idea too.. I always think one is best at first but it would be cool to have a second momentary switch that could do a few different things, ideally 4 to make it worthwhile with a rotary switch.

I think trails is really important too.. it might have to be switchable inside the pedal.. maybe make it an option for each channel...

I'm starting to get the itch to get started on this delay.. the Cosmi is nearly ready and soon we'll just be waiting for its production parts so it's nearly time to set up a huge new bread board... I love doing that.

shit man, this sounds awesome!! :love: :drool:
hatshirt

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Haha no, this isn't gonna be a multi-effects pedal!

Syl you have crazy ideas, man! This pedal won't do cavernous reverb or have synthy repeats! (what does that even mean?) Don't mix up computer delays like the TimeLine with analog delays, analog delays are very limited/focused and specific in what they do and sound like.

Analog delays have soupy warm repeats... and that's if you're lucky! It takes a ton of signal conditioning and filtering just to achieve that, that's like the whole goal of an analog delay. The whole battle is getting rid of the excessive clock noise and hiss and keeping some sort of sweet sounding signal after that.

I'll be adding tricks to make the pedal more powerful/controllable but ultimately it's not going to be a multi-effects pedal, it's going to be an analog delay!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah I know... when there is delay talking... I'm going experimentaly crazy. :animal:
But I need one of those analog delay too. :!!!:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:53 pm

haha yeah buddy, I hear you!

I think for me and my analog thingies it's more about decking them out so they're very controllable rather than having them making every sound under the sun... I want them to excel at the main sound sound, eg chorus, delay, and then be powerful enough to control that main sound's parameters a lot.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

FX Loop would do the magic... If you can include that.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

This sounds like it's going to be great. To be honest I'm pretty content with my current delay setup (El Capistan and Sunny Day Delay) but I can definitely see myself getting this too if it comes out sounding half as good as I'm expecting. Especially if it has trails, the lack of trails is really my only complaint with the SDD.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby madmax1012 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:15 pm

is there an ETA on this? i need a delay and if this is as awesome as it sounds, I might have to hold out for a while...
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ryan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I really the trails idea, I think that's important. I really like the tap and waveforms idea, I think they're important. I really want the CV option and an expression control at least for repeats or rate. I do agree an effects loop is cool and I'll probably do it on the bread board for experimentations but I still want this in a reasonable sized box and I don't love the idea of having 6 jacks on a 1590bb... every feature can't be included and I just don't love big box effects, that ain't my thing.

ETA? 2013 I bet. I doubt this will be in our line this year, it'll be months of designing and then months of affording, so it's going to be a long ways away.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby raphaël » Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey all,

I don't understand what "trail" is (my lack of english gears vocabulary!!) but I'm thrilled because you are!!!
If I may, I'll be superhappy if there will be a tone knob on the RDD...darkest to brightest delay sounds...hum, delightful???
And if I may again, to be honest I don't need modulation on a delay pedal, like chorus on the SDD...so if you don't put it on the new hit-delay-pedal-to-be because you need room on the small box it won't be a problem to me!!

Anyway, I can't wait for a Dr. Sci delay!!!
raphaël

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Fri May 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Hey Raphael! Trails is when you click your delay pedal off, bypass it, but instead of the delay signal just cutting off it repeats and fades out naturally. It means that a pedal isn't true bypass, in that mode at least, but if done well it sounds great and is very musical rather than true bypass delay pedals where the repeats instantly stop when the pedal is bypassed.

I really love modulation on repeats.. I gotta put modulation in the box! I think it could be a cool option to have the modulation driven by the CV waveforms, that's one experimentation to do. I'll probably do a treble knob too... this delay will actually be set up a lot like the Cosmichorus so it's skeleton is basically ready. Buffer in, dry mix, pre-emph, compander, filter the highs, treble control, compander, de-emph, levels, wet mix, buffer out, Bob's your uncle.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby raphaël » Fri May 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Ok, I get it, trail is for smooth and musical transitions...great!!!
By modulation you meant chorus right? or something else?
I'm waiting badly for this pedal...
raphaël

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Modulation is altering the delay time of the repeats slightly so they have some movement to them. It's like chorus but more crude and really just meant to give the repeats some wiggle or warble to make them sound more interesting and dynamic.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby madmax1012 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm

it's kinda like this for your eardrums
Fuzzy Fred wrote: please excuse me. can we keep this discussion civil and about donkey fucking?

hbombgraphics wrote:Why does it have to be Digital, but with an analog soul and buffalo semen???
madmax1012

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby excane » Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 pm

madmax1012 wrote:it's kinda like this for your eardrums

EXACTLY :lol:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby colin » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 am

Ryan wrote:Hey Raphael! Trails is when you click your delay pedal off, bypass it, but instead of the delay signal just cutting off it repeats and fades out naturally. It means that a pedal isn't true bypass, in that mode at least, but if done well it sounds great and is very musical rather than true bypass delay pedals where the repeats instantly stop when the pedal is bypassed.

I really love modulation on repeats.. I gotta put modulation in the box! I think it could be a cool option to have the modulation driven by the CV waveforms, that's one experimentation to do. I'll probably do a treble knob too... this delay will actually be set up a lot like the Cosmichorus so it's skeleton is basically ready. Buffer in, dry mix, pre-emph, compander, filter the highs, treble control, compander, de-emph, levels, wet mix, buffer out, Bob's your uncle.

Does this mean that it'll be able to go 100% wet?
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist