what should i do pwm fuzz? (now with videos)

Moderator: autopilot

what should i do pwm fuzz? (now with videos)

Postby autopilot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm

after a lot of the new TMV spins and misfit love (qotsa), i started reworking on a pwm fuzz design i had, so far i have vol, int(pwm sweep), i played a bit adding a triangle lfo to sweep the int (so you can get the movement). So what you'll prefer lfo or exp for manual sweep?
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: what should i do pwm fuzz?

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 pm

My only PWM fuzz experience is the SS/BS Blargg and the only addition I'd like would be a blend knob.
Manual sweep would be fun but your various LFO waveforms would be cool, too. I think we'd need to hear a demo of that to judge.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

I would love this with EXP control of sweep and yes a clean blend for sure. Better yet, clean volume and fuzz volume knobs for better gain matching with other pedals.

Also, I don't know how necessary it is, but a gate might be nice to have to keep things tight.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 am

I think that would pretty cool, Adam. I use the Behringer Bass Synth on mode 9 (I think) for PWM right now, but I'd love to have it in a fuzz.

I think that it absolutely should have an LFO sweeping the pulse width, otherwise it's not PWM. It might seem pedantic, but when people build the PWM fuzz without an LFO, it's not actually PWM at all, it's just a pulse wave. PWM by definition means that you modulate the pulse width.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 am

bigchiefbc wrote:I think that it absolutely should have an LFO sweeping the pulse width, otherwise it's not PWM. It might seem pedantic, but when people build the PWM fuzz without an LFO, it's not actually PWM at all, it's just a pulse wave. PWM by definition means that you modulate the pulse width.

While true, I think that flavour of pulse wave fuzz is useful. I'd be happy if there was an LFO on board as long as it can be turned off and the PW swept manually or by EXP.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby autopilot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am

i did 2 videos, one manually by a knob and the other by a triangle lfo, tonight they will be up. i'm thinking a 4knobber with a simple lfo that can be turned of for manual sweep and a bigger expanded version with more stuff. interesting about the clean blend will check what can i do about
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby autopilot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Manual Sweep

LFO
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: what should i do pwm fuzz? (now with videos)

Postby simmerman11 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 am

those clips sounded really cool. i'm really looking forward to new info later.
simmerman11

interested
interested

Postby jmoote » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 am

Sounds awesome :drool:

I am guessing 4 knobs will be something like Pulse Width, Volume, LFO speed, LFO depth?
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby autopilot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm

vol, lfo rate, range (pulse width), i'm thinking on adding a toggle to activate the lfo and the range will then be lfo amount, but need to get a consistent range because with bass and synths is working well, but on guitar the sweeps ends sounding more like a tremolo
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Envelope controlled LFO speed?
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

autopilot wrote:vol, lfo rate, range (pulse width), i'm thinking on adding a toggle to activate the lfo and the range will then be lfo amount, but need to get a consistent range because with bass and synths is working well, but on guitar the sweeps ends sounding more like a tremolo

The toggle idea as described sounds good. A clean volume in parallel with the effect would be awesome but I know that's not for everyone. Exp control of any of the parameters would also be great!

Needless to say I want one already :joy:
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby autopilot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:12 am

if everything goes to plan, there will be an small version and a large one with more waveforms and options/knobs, i could add by request the clean parallel dry to the small one. I havent experimented a lot with envelopes, i know it could be doable, but dont wait for it for this one at least for now :)
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby autopilot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 pm

lot of progress i'm really happy with results, with the triangle lfo and guitar can get very phaser-esque, dont know why but my first thought after strumming a chord and let ring was MBV. Kinda understood the need for clean blend when there were modulation. Also without modulation lots of different of fuzztones, that convinced me that the small version will be pulse width with exp option and then a large version with lfo and waves and other options
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Tue May 01, 2012 9:48 pm

This sounds cool enough that I am already planning board space for it.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Next

Return to Copilot fx