GuitarPCB Mammoth Kit builders - Check it out!

Moderators: Ghost Hip, blakemoth

GuitarPCB Mammoth Kit builders - Check it out!

Postby blakemoth » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Let's see your GuitarPCB kit build in this thread! Tell us what issues you faced, how those issues were resolved, etc.

Or, just show us! We want to share the GuitarPCB.com love! Let's pump Barry's amazing PCB's!
blakemoth

involved
involved

Re: GuitarPCB Mammoth Kit builders - Check it out!

Postby Comfort Player » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

GuitarPCB MorC

Great pedal. I had a little bit of a hard time with the location of the DC jack, but on my next order I contacted Blake and had them not drill that hole. I drilled it myself in a better ( easier ) location

Comfort Player

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby my7of9 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Just finished up this Stage 3 Booster for a Customer in a Tiny Mammoth 1590 with Mammoth Chicken Knob.

Slightly customized and simplified by request for the customer. Oh and the Bias Trimmer was Glued so the Customer would not be tempted. ;)

Fresh PCB's and Projects @ www.GuitarPCB.com
Worldwide Shipping Available
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby blakemoth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

my7of9 wrote:Just finished up this Stage 3 Booster for a Customer in a Tiny Mammoth 1590 with Mammoth Chicken Knob.

Slightly customized and simplified by request for the customer. Oh and the Bias Trimmer was Glued so the Customer would not be tempted. ;)

Dang. Barry, that's awesome. Really inspiring to see your handiwork. Smooth move with the nut inside the external nut DC jack. Really pulls that in to a nicer length.
blakemoth

involved
involved

Postby my7of9 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for noticing Blake!

There is still one more thing someone hasn't noticed yet but it is kind of hard to tell. A trade secret perhaps? ;)

My first 1590. In hindsight I would have done a few things different wiring wise but all is good.

I will have it nailed for my second attempt. As you know I ordered 4 of these bad boys from you!
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby my7of9 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

Comfort Player wrote:GuitarPCB MorC

Great pedal. I had a little bit of a hard time with the location of the DC jack, but on my next order I contacted Blake and had them not drill that hole. I drilled it myself in a better ( easier ) location

As you may or may not know I am a Penn State fan however I love the artwork on this great pedal! Fantastic job.
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby blakemoth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Spent some time inspecting that photo to see if I could notice anything else. Nothing yet, but I'm intrigued nonetheless. I want to build one of those boosters into a 1590A sometime soon.
blakemoth

involved
involved

Postby Jero » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

blakemoth wrote:Smooth move with the nut inside the external nut DC jack. Really pulls that in to a nicer length.

Use to do this too, but I got tired of wasting nuts and switched back to the other style jacks.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blakemoth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Jero wrote:
blakemoth wrote:Smooth move with the nut inside the external nut DC jack. Really pulls that in to a nicer length.

Use to do this too, but I got tired of wasting nuts and switched back to the other style jacks.

Yeah, I feel ya. There's got to be some kind of washer, or even a glue that could be used to give a little cushion.
blakemoth

involved
involved

Postby my7of9 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Actually there is a plastic washer you can get from the hardware Store (True Value Store) for me that costs .02 each that does the job perfectly but I did not have any on hand when making the build.

He said "wasting his nuts". :lol: Sorry but that caught me off guard and had a good chuckle. Thanks!

Also while you are at the hardware store pick yourself up some 3/4" E-Clips for less than a $1 and have the perfect Straplock that will only come off when you need it to.

I got a lot more where that came from.
my7of9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby blakemoth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm

my7of9 wrote:Actually there is a plastic washer you can get from the hardware Store (True Value Store) for me that costs .02 each that does the job perfectly but I did not have any on hand when making the build.

He said "wasting his nuts". :lol: Sorry but that caught me off guard and had a good chuckle. Thanks!

Also while you are at the hardware store pick yourself up some 3/4" E-Clips for less than a $1 and have the perfect Straplock that will only come off when you need it to.

I got a lot more where that came from.

Hahaha, that's awesome, I totally didn't catch that.

Great washer fix, Barry! BTW, got the boards in today. they look AMAZING as usual.
blakemoth

involved
involved

Postby Comfort Player » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Because everyone love a good Trem

ImageImage

No issues with the build. Great Trem tone and you can add the external LED to indicate the rate.. Highly recommended
Comfort Player

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 pm

You had me at that butt
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Timshelton79 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I wanted to show what I have accomplished with a combo of a Mammoth enclosure and a GuitarPCB MoRC board. If you are like me, a noob by all accounts of the word to effects building, then look no further. With a Mammoth/GuitarPCB kit you get everything you need to build the pedal of your choice right down to Full technical support from GuitarPCB.com. I chose to source all my parts myself. I bought the enclosure from Mammoth, it is the 1590BB Granny Smith Sparkle with the New GuitarPCB MoRC v2 Compressor. This thing was easy to solder, and the build instructions are easy to follow. If you feel that there is something missing in your guitar setup, look no further than this pedal. I am a bare bones kind of guitarist, a minimalist so to speak, usually my effects chain consist of an eq,wah, and a few dirt pedals. I use Schecter guitars with EMG 81/85 combos in my actives and Duncan Detonator/ Invaders for my passives. These are feed into my Peavey 6505+. I had always heard this muddiness in my set-up and could never figure out how to pull it out until I threw a MoRC in the Mix. Every note articulates evenly and the muddiness is gone. I Highly recommend this pedal! That is all, Enjoy!

Tim Shelton
Knoxville, TN

Timshelton79

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby CounterfeitGentleman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm

3-in-1 Boostapalooza:

L-R: GuitarPCB.com Stage 3v4, Vero board Linear Power Booster, GuitarPCB SHO 'Nuff

Black textured enclosure, all hardware, knobs etc from Mammoth

Inside:

The Vero board used a bunch of leftover components (hence the mismatched capacitors), but works just fine. It was also useful to use it as a parent board to provide power/ground to the other two boards, keeps it nice and neat.

No battery power, but it wouldn't be completely inconceivable to shuffle some parts around to fit a battery in there. I prefer to just use DC power, for environmental and cost reasons.

Each boost circuit has its own unique character, and with 2 or more on you can get some really nice (though basic) sounding overdrive.

This is maybe my 10th pedal build, using GuitarPCB boards and mostly Mammoth parts (I'll confess to using Radio Shack in a pinch, when I'm trying to finish a project against the clock). I had no real knowledge of electronics prior to starting these projects, apart from a few times poking around with passive circuits inside my guitars.
CounterfeitGentleman

interested
interested

Next

Return to Mammoth Electronics