Arcing Prisms - frequency shifter delay

Moderator: Taylor Livingston

Re: Arcing Prisms - frequency shifter delay

Postby taco satori » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 pm

Yeah, this scratches an ongoing itch I have w/r/t delays and ring mod-esque sounds. Will try to pick one of these up when I can!
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Taylor Livingston wrote:I think this one may have more niche appeal

Bro... this sounds fantastic to me! I think everyone in the ring mod thread is going to be a fan (I see most of them over here already!)!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Yass! Just came back from lurking the IE store :joy: :mope:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I think everyone in the ring mod thread is going to be a fan (I see most of them over here already!)!

You mean all seven of us? :lol: :thumb: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 pm

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Taylor Livingston » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:I think everyone in the ring mod thread is going to be a fan (I see most of them over here already!)!

You mean all seven of us? :lol: :thumb: :snax:

:lol: Glad to hear you guys like it. Partly I just mean that the people who know about me as a maker are mostly bassists, and a pedal like a frequency shifter or ring mod is gonna be harder to take advantage of for the average bass player.

I'm a big ring mod fan, though. The very first pedals I sold, which predate the Iron Ether name, were clones of the Lovetone Ring Stinger. Prior to that I used a Nord Micro Modular for my ring mod, as it had a very pure sine and accurate multiplication so it was really clean - the total opposite of the Ring Stinger. Both very cool in their own ways.

The cool thing about frequency shifting is that it's a very similar result to ring modulation, but you only get sidebands in one direction, up or down, rather than both up and down as in ring mod. For me this makes it a little easier to integrate musically, because you're only get half the amount of clangy weird harmonics. If you want a big dense wall of sound though, the delay lets you stack things up as much you need.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Dowi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am

Dandolin wrote:Yass! Just came back from lurking the IE store :joy: :mope:

same, i subscribed to know when they're back in stock :cool:

Taylor Livingston wrote:For me this makes it a little easier to integrate musically, because you're only get half the amount of clangy weird harmonics. If you want a big dense wall of sound though, the delay lets you stack things up as much you need.

that's what caught me!
regarding the delay part i plan to have a delay before it so i can get the option to have the repeats shifted a single time instead of having those shifting again at every repeat.
Don't know if it could be doable but, in an imaginary realm, it'd be cool if there was a third small switch like the ones on top to select if the freq. shifter is inside the feedback loop or after. just wandering..
:snax:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby shikawkee » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am

Subscribed as well. Looking forward to trying that thing.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 pm

A big part of the appeal of this, to me, is the ability to use the delay line in the comb filter range to mix with the frequency shifting...the longer delay times are definitely a bonus. :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby taco satori » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Dowi wrote:
Taylor Livingston wrote:For me this makes it a little easier to integrate musically, because you're only get half the amount of clangy weird harmonics. If you want a big dense wall of sound though, the delay lets you stack things up as much you need.

that's what caught me!
regarding the delay part i plan to have a delay before it so i can get the option to have the repeats shifted a single time instead of having those shifting again at every repeat.
Don't know if it could be doable but, in an imaginary realm, it'd be cool if there was a third small switch like the ones on top to select if the freq. shifter is inside the feedback loop or after. just wandering..
:snax:

I’d be interested in this idea, too! :thumb:
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:40 am

Oh! I just woke up. How did I missed this post.

Seems so interesting!!!
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 pm

wow, interesting idea, gorgeous pedal design, spooky sounds. Love it! Not something I'd use on guitar or bass (though the "subtle" sounds in the demos are reeeeaaally nice!!!) but.. Seems very fun to play around with.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:12 am

Oh man, this pedal is very intriguing! I am definitely interested in getting my hands on one. Subscribed to the waitlist as well
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dowi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 am

I'd say we want a limited ILF run! :joy:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Got mine Monday and wow. It is crazy. Was able to get this...I don’t know how to describe it - glassy reverb? Like what I would imagine a reflection of light would sound like. The expression control is super useable. This is one deep pedal. Excellent and very different modulation. I was able to thicken the hell out of a synth-type sound with some destuned/ shifted ring mod settings. I wish I could properly demo it, but yeah. This thing is nuts. And stupid beautiful.
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Ether