Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Dandolin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am

^^ right there with ya $hark :love: :drool: :love:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 am

That Cloudscapes concept is magnificent.

If it's still under design may I ask if there's a way to tap or port that carrier waveform to the outside world? Being able to exploit another leg of that signal with other things (in addition to the 633 multiplier on board) could result in interesting user experiences.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:43 am

crochambeau wrote:That Cloudscapes concept is magnificent.

If it's still under design may I ask if there's a way to tap or port that carrier waveform to the outside world? Being able to exploit another leg of that signal with other things (in addition to the 633 multiplier on board) could result in interesting user experiences.

Isn't that already in there? The top knob of the final mixer appears to be from the carrier waveform?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 am

MrNovember wrote:
crochambeau wrote:That Cloudscapes concept is magnificent.

Isn't that already in there? The top knob of the final mixer appears to be from the carrier waveform?

I interpret the top knob as being a manipulation of the carrier "set". I'm not seeing a point at which a copy of the carrier is offered by itself as a utility (or sound source) output.

Just spit-balling though, I'm certain the build will be cool no matter how it's put together.

---------------------

Edit, shit, sorry. I see the DIY thread now. That looks pretty built. I'm not being helpful with suggestions so I'll slink back into the shadows.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:02 am

If I'm reading Curtis correctly, I thought about this... You take that carrier concept as a standalone thing and input it into some of your other ring mods?
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 am

$harkToootth wrote:If I'm reading Curtis correctly, I thought about this... You take that carrier concept as a standalone thing and input it into some of your other ring mods?

Or slap some CV sensing to frequency scaling on it and have yourself a nice little VCDO, I mean, if it's now become a stand-alone thing...

But I should really stop speculating in this manner on another builder's project, sorry cloudscapes!

I'm slowly trudging near the point at which I will actually cut a demo of it, but pictured here is the final form of the RMA Monobius variant (of which BoS owns the pilot build):

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

Mmmmm. :love: Maybe my monobius time is near.... Is there a write-up of how this varies from the tourbox version? :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:04 pm

crochambeau wrote:Image
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Dandolin wrote:Mmmmm. :love: Maybe my monobius time is near.... Is there a write-up of how this varies from the tourbox version? :snax:

No, not yet. The video demo I have in mind will focus on the differences for sure, but for now:

There are three additional switches (beyond the standard fuzz/ringmod mode, filter/oscillator frequency range, and diode ring configuration) which are:

1) transformer ratio (iron gain) switch for input signal side of diode ring.
2) transformer ratio switch for carrier side of diode ring
3) feedback* source

The additional knobs (beyond output volume, input level, carrier level, frequency, and mix) are:
1-2) two knobs each for input and carrier level, resulting in a sort of pre-gain, post level on those branches.
3) feedback* level control
4) secondary feedback circuit which kind of acts similar to a presence control.

The additional jacks (beyond signal input, carrier input, and output) are:
1) expression pedal input (side mounted) which allows you to bypass the frequency pot with a foot treadle pedal
2) sub-carrier insert (rear mounted) which interrupts the primary feedback* circuit for external signal input, this bypasses the feedback* source switch (since it has become external). This feedback/sub-carrier drives the "unused" windings of the transformer that is doing inductor duty in the tuning section of the bandpass filter that defines frequency of oscillation or filter applied to the external carrier (or as applied to that leg when in FUZZ mode).

So, ultimately there are a lot more chaos thresholds at play in the variant, but at twice the price of the standard.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Gotcha--very intriguing :)* Thanks for the detailed down-low :hug:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Jesus Christ Curtis...
You know I'm typing this jokingly as an internet friend... that thing is going to take you like a decade to "perfect to your standards". (Again, I'm playing :hug: )
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:10 pm

$harkToootth wrote:that thing is going to take you like a decade to make.

:hug:

Oh yeah, I follow my own time. Though to be fair, most of the time sink aspect in this one was shouldered by BetterOffShred.

Any delay now is mostly in my setting up a standardized sound source (not my loose and sloppy guitar wrangling) so I can have consistency across videos of different circuits. This is taking the form of a MIDI sequence that is getting closer to completion.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm

I edited my comment. Changed “make” to “perfect to your standards”. That is more accurate.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I edited my comment. Changed “make” to “perfect to your standards”. That is more accurate.

True, and you edited that between my reading your post and hitting reply, so I edited your edit back to the wording I started with, hahahaha. :picard:

It'll never hit perfection, that's a dead in the water game - it's whatever happens to pass for acceptable that constantly redirects puke to clog my jets. Anyway, I'll take this as encouragement to stop dragging my ass and create some content.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm

crochambeau wrote:It'll never hit perfection, that's a dead in the water game - it's whatever happens to pass for acceptable that constantly redirects puke to clog my jets. Anyway, I'll take this as encouragement to stop dragging my ass and create some content.

Well... I know I’m VERY happy with my Monobious. I know B.o.S. is too!
Different device but my variation of the crustacean is as close to perfect as I think you can get (the one you had ready made and on Reverb but I pm’d you directly).

I feel bad now :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: . But, your content does rule and I’m always super happy when I get a YouTube notification from your channel.

EDIT: Oh one more thing for motivation... I know for a fact ibarakishi want crochambeu style mic pre-amps. I'm sure others do too :thumb: :lol:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear