Industrialectric RM-1N vs Caroline Meteore

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Industrialectric RM-1N vs Caroline Meteore

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 pm

breakdown wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:
popvulture wrote:I love the RM1N but would stay away from it if you're looking for pretty.

One that could be an option, and probably something you could get for fairly cheap used, is an EQD Dispatch Master. I love mine—there's not a lot of tweakability, but it does big/pretty/atmospheric VERY well without adding any kind of dumb shimmer. Of course that last bit of disdain for over sparkliness just based on personal opinion, but all in all I'd say the DM does a great job of pretty without being fussy.

I do have an avalanche run but am actually selling it because I have the empress echosystem and reverb pedals and feel like I can do 99% of what the avalanche run is capable of with them. The one sound that I love that I haven’t got from the empress reverb is that dirty, overdrive reverb a la Meteore. The RM-1N seems to have a similar sound, but can go way more extreme. I’m maybe better off exploring other less expensive more accessible options.

Maybe a cheap dirt pedal after your empress? :idk:

Haha, that would be the easy answer hey? I don’t know, there is something about the sound of the drive on those pedals in particular that I quite like. I can’t say I’ve reeeaaally tried to replicate it tho. Maybe just a dirt pedal in the effects loop would work well.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:
popvulture wrote:I love the RM1N but would stay away from it if you're looking for pretty.

One that could be an option, and probably something you could get for fairly cheap used, is an EQD Dispatch Master. I love mine—there's not a lot of tweakability, but it does big/pretty/atmospheric VERY well without adding any kind of dumb shimmer. Of course that last bit of disdain for over sparkliness just based on personal opinion, but all in all I'd say the DM does a great job of pretty without being fussy.

I do have an avalanche run but am actually selling it because I have the empress echosystem and reverb pedals and feel like I can do 99% of what the avalanche run is capable of with them. The one sound that I love that I haven’t got from the empress reverb is that dirty, overdrive reverb a la Meteore. The RM-1N seems to have a similar sound, but can go way more extreme. I’m maybe better off exploring other less expensive more accessible options.

Haha, that would be the easy answer hey? I don’t know, there is something about the sound of the drive on those pedals in particular that I quite like. I can’t say I’ve reeeaaally tried to replicate it tho. Maybe just a dirt pedal in the effects loop would work well.

Update, I put the fuck overdrive in the effects loop of the reverb as I thought maybe I could get some fucked up blown speaker sounds in the reverb, but it just actually sounded kind of meh. A bit tinny and without that same warm, dirty character I get from the Meteore. Hmm, maybe the Meteore in the effects loop...
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:59 am

Blood_mountain wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

Update, I put the fuck overdrive in the effects loop of the reverb as I thought maybe I could get some fucked up blown speaker sounds in the reverb, but it just actually sounded kind of meh. A bit tinny and without that same warm, dirty character I get from the Meteore. Hmm, maybe the Meteore in the effects loop...

Isn’t the dirt in the Meteore just a really dirty preamp? If you have like an EP booster or something around I find that works super well after reverb.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ALLisNOISE » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:32 am

I can’t speak for the Meteore, so I’m sorry this is gonna be one sided, but I love the RM-1n!
Mine’s a little different from the stock one; I had mine custom made where the Pre-Gain knob is footswitchable. With the knob bypassed, I get a lot more headroom at the loss of some overall volume. With it on, its the standard circuit.
It’s true that it doesn’t really have anything approaching headroom, and it can spiral into self oscillation if you so much as look at the feedback knob.
However, nothing I have even remotely touches on the harmonic complexity of each gain stage obliterating the next one, compressing, folding in on itself then being drowned in overtones.
It won’t do well as you’re “pretty” or “on all the time” reverb. It won’t “blend” well in a soundscape... there will be an abrupt transition when you step on it. But that blown out compression lends itself incredibly well to Godspeed-esque crescendos or eBow driven drones that rise above the din.

People describe a good ambient reverb as spacious, cavernous, cathedral-like, but I can only think of the RM-1n as claustrophobic, and that’s why I won’t ever let mine go.
ALLisNOISE

committed
committed

Postby neonblack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 am

This guy reverberates
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 am

The fuzz/dirt on the RM1N is one of the coolest sounding dirt/fuzzes ever. With them cranked it sort of crashes into being. Miss having that pedal.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby postpostrock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

To muddy the waters a bit:

Have you checked out the Beautiful Noise When the Sun Explodes, DBA Reverberation Machine, or Midnight Amplification Skyhorse?
postpostrock

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Blood_mountain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 am

postpostrock wrote:To muddy the waters a bit:

Have you checked out the Beautiful Noise When the Sun Explodes, DBA Reverberation Machine, or Midnight Amplification Skyhorse?

Thanks, I’ll check those out!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:44 am

What’s the story on this Jptr FX company? Their Kaleidoscope pedal seems pretty rad, but I recall seeing some negative feedback on build quality, resale value, company overall. What’s up with them?
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:25 am

postpostrock wrote:To muddy the waters a bit:

I see that Beautiful Noise is releasing another batch of these pedals soon.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby raj007 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 pm

RM1N is still the champ in my book. I've played the Meteore, Beholder, Reverberation Machine and the Keeley Loomer.

RM just sounds the best and has awesome features/controls.

I think if the Beholder had a Mix knob to control the dirt more...it'd be a home run.

The only bummer about the RM is how damn big it is. So, if you run a small board it's definitely a setback.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 pm

raj007 wrote:RM1N is still the champ in my book. I've played the Meteore, Beholder, Reverberation Machine and the Keeley Loomer.

I think if the Beholder had a Mix knob to control the dirt more...it'd be a home run.

The only bummer about the RM is how damn big it is. So, if you run a small board it's definitely a setback.

It sounds amazing, but every time I see someone playing it the settings I could see myself using are with the pre/post gains almost off, and I know it goes hard from there, so I think I'm better off finder something quieter and tamer. I'm meek.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby raj007 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
raj007 wrote:RM1N is still the champ in my book. I've played the Meteore, Beholder, Reverberation Machine and the Keeley Loomer.

It sounds amazing, but every time I see someone playing it the settings I could see myself using are with the pre/post gains almost off, and I know it goes hard from there, so I think I'm better off finder something quieter and tamer. I'm meek.

Honestly...it can be tamed. The Beholder is near untamable ...but the RM you can dial the dirt completely out. And if you have low settings on the pre and post gain...it's a nice fuzzy OD thing.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm

raj007 wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

Honestly...it can be tamed. The Beholder is near untamable ...but the RM you can dial the dirt completely out. And if you have low settings on the pre and post gain...it's a nice fuzzy OD thing.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy this JPTR FX Kaleidoscope pedal next. If that doesn't do it for me, maybe then I'll see if I can find an RM-1N
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear