Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

I am very pro-Arpitecht, I love it, and even have its expansion board the heralded TRIAD.

But guess what? I have no fucking clue how to use the TRIAD so it's currently not hooked up. I could never get it to, you know, make chords. Anyway, the shortcoming is my imagination and not the module as I have read legends of other people using the Triad and enjoying it.

behndy, why do you have that Dual Quantizer and the Arpitecht? Arpitecht does a quantize.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 pm

because REASONS!

lol. my THOUGHT is that....

a) Klee has the option of 2 outs, so want to have a dual quanty available.

b) would be nice to have a very VERY simple quantizy option.

c) if i LOVE the Apritechtal, there's a goooooood chance it will migrate to the main case.

and i'm unsure if i want the two Mannequins there or the two WMD drum modules. UNSURE.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:21 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:I am very pro-Arpitecht, I love it, and even have its expansion board the heralded TRIAD.

But guess what? I have no fucking clue how to use the TRIAD so it's currently not hooked up. I could never get it to, you know, make chords. Anyway, the shortcoming is my imagination and not the module as I have read legends of other people using the Triad and enjoying it.

behndy, why do you have that Dual Quantizer and the Arpitecht? Arpitecht does a quantize.

Triad should just make chords? But it doesn’t do it based off of what’s going on on the ARP. You have to give it voltages into the triad CV input. I too thought it would just follow the Arpitecht, but it doesn’t. I actually sequencer it for my last track, but it’s still pretty limited without the CV for inversion being used, too. I understand why it has the limitations- there were only two IO ports left on Arpitecht when Triad was designed- but it can be frustrating.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Ruiner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I keep meaning to go over to WMD's shop since I live here now and pick up an Apritecht..... need to do that soon.

That Klee looks nuts :drool:

Picked up two Insturo Aithers so I could cv control with my iPad wirelessly.... that's been a ton of fun and love having the interface with Parat+ app.

Got a bunch of other random stuff lately like Flame Quad CV Recorder, Noise Engineering Mimetic Sequent, Planar 2, Lofi Junky, Matter II, NerdSeq, ......

Also picked up some ADDAC Eurorack Bridge systems so I can connect one case to another with a single cable and still have 16 I/O for audio or cv without crossing cables to other cases. Did this since I'm turning my desk which has built in rack mounts into a giant eurorack case that spans across the desk.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:14 pm

loot. HAUL.

'm still curious about the NerdSeq. will grab at some point.

murf. just rearranged my whole desk yarea, WAY better now. still have to clean the Above Desk shelves and wire all the things.

odd bodkins part? my two MN Skiffs are SLIGHTLY different sizes.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 pm

lol. so, after deciding to grab an Arpal Techtal, like always, looked through Muffs FS first. found one that was more than new (why), one that was not much cheaper than both new but DID COME WITH A TRIAD WOOOO, and one for 2 hundy. pm'd 2 Hundy Dooder, got a response the next day that, "oh that sold a while ago.".

cool. whatever. i suck at updating lists too.

but then i rememebered that his FS post said he was still trying to raise funds for a IME Donut 3. and then i realized it was a guy that bought a NoiseEng Burst module (forget the real name) that showed up non-functional, trashed me in a thread 2 minutes after he pm'd me, then after some talk and telling him i'd cover the shipping back and refund his ends (of course) i had to remind him to revise his public statements.

annnnnd it's still up for sale.

i don't want to give him any of my money now, because. i mean. dood. be an adult. just say you were uncomfortable with the last transaction and would rather sell to someone else. not like i tried ti get over on him or was a dickbag about the refund.

HUMANS.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Anyone here used a Verbos Scan & Pan? I'd really love a small panning mixer with sliders and there really isn't much out there, at least nothing that isn't just overkill for me.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm

holy massive loots day Birb Butt Man.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 am

lol. also, i know this is going to sound hecksa fickle, but i just don't have room for the Heetz Donerts, so if someone wants, hit me up. otherwise going to list Monday or so.

also also, one of my MN Skiffs is 104.5 hp wide and the other is 105 hp wide. i realized after assembling the Klee Based Skiff, so emptied it, undertook the ANNOYING process of moving the WMD PM And Extras into the larger one so i could offset the odd hp of the Dark Matter.

NEAT.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 pm

FIRST PATCH!!!

After a couple of months of planning, procrastinating, overwork, impulse buying, loose screws and general tomfoolery, I finally finished assembling my rack and got to spend some time with my modular.

Despite having spent some time with VCVrack and some semi modulars, I’ll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I’m doing - but having a good time doing so.

Stumbled upon a great sound for my first patch. Rhythmic, abrasive, and actually playable. Tap from the RPG modulating the delay time on the Neutron; overdriven oscillating delay and noise outputs rising and falling against each other via Maths, and whatever witchcraft the Maths is conjuring feeding back into the delay circuit. End result is something like Pansonic scoring an adaptation of Maus - pulsing sheets of feedback intercut with sharp scratching claws marching in time - and all without powering up the Cat module.

All in all, a good evening.
Attachments
687A989E-776C-4AB9-A47F-382636A7E456.jpeg
687A989E-776C-4AB9-A47F-382636A7E456.jpeg (211.34 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 am

WHERE'S THE NOISES.

WHERE.

WHERE MEOWOOM.

WHEREEEEE.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Y'all... I saw r beny's instagram video last week of a "strumming" type patch utilizing Rings' string mode, by using Mutable Stages as a gate delay, and this weekend I rigged up my own version.
It took some serious brain work to figure out how to combine all the gates from Stages' outputs, but using all 4 channels of Maths and to sum 4 of the 6, and Cold Mac to OR that with the remaining gate output from Stages along with a copy of the initial clock/trigger event, I was able to create a set of 6 pulses out for every one in, and the sliders on Stages essentially control the timing between note events. I then set about creating 8 banks of 12 notes, 2 "chords" each, that I cycled through with a third Tempi clock. Ran it all through QPAS, then into the Morphagene, and out came a gorgeous wall of magic.
I have a brief excerpt on my instagram, linked here, but this was an awesome exercise in learning how to make my synth work for me, rather than my usual "what if..." style to building patches. I feel more confident with my synth than I ever have, and I'm pretty happy I didn't get rid of my Stages or Rings like I'd initially planned.
vid here: http://www.instagram.com/p/BuPqQvVnszF/
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm

beautiful work; thanks for sharing how you got there--it's encouraging
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Rearranged my workstation over the weekend. Very happy with the results so far.

Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby doommeow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 pm

behndy wrote:WHERE'S THE NOISES.

WHERE.

WHERE MEOWOOM.

WHEREEEEE.

Someday. And maybe even someday soon. ES-8 was the impetus for exploring modular and should mean fairly easy quick and dirty recordings.

So, note to self. :poke:
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear