What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dapper Bandit » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Discworld is always great but I'm biased and nostalgic because it's my childhood.

I think they're all worth reading (if you like the general idea) but wouldn't recommend sitting down to read them all in one go!! Having read them the year they came out since I was old enough till he died, it was a much nicer pace than trying to consistently read nothing but Discworld.

Definitely agree the City Watch and UU books are particularly good. Along with the Witches and some standalones that are fantastic (e.g. Small Gods).

There's no real requirement to read most of the books in order. But reading all of the watch/UU (rincewind)/witch books in their internal orders (which are all just chronological with publishing date thankfully) makes sense.

As I get older, the more I think that the witches books may be my favourites of the whole franchise. I would third any recommendation of UU/Watch as well. Perhaps Colour of Magic / The Light Fantastic would be a good starting point. Been a good few years since I read those but they're a damned good introduction to the series.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am

Does anyone here use goodreads.com? I've used it a bit and its nice for keeping track of books you wanna read and your progress in different books. maybe we can add eachother (i don't really use it socially at all but you know fuzz friends are fuzz friends)
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Discworld is always great but I'm biased and nostalgic because it's my childhood.

I think they're all worth reading (if you like the general idea) but wouldn't recommend sitting down to read them all in one go!! Having read them the year they came out since I was old enough till he died, it was a much nicer pace than trying to consistently read nothing but Discworld.

Definitely agree the City Watch and UU books are particularly good. Along with the Witches and some standalones that are fantastic (e.g. Small Gods).

There's no real requirement to read most of the books in order. But reading all of the watch/UU (rincewind)/witch books in their internal orders (which are all just chronological with publishing date thankfully) makes sense.

As I get older, the more I think that the witches books may be my favourites of the whole franchise. I would third any recommendation of UU/Watch as well. Perhaps Colour of Magic / The Light Fantastic would be a good starting point. Been a good few years since I read those but they're a damned good introduction to the series.

Colour of Magic/Life Fantastic are the first ones so not surprising :lol:

I don't use Goodreads, although I kind of like the idea of tracking what I'm reading.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I would be down to give GoodReads a try. It would be interesting to track the things I'm reading
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby morange » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:11 am

cloudscapes wrote:rereading the Stand.

I think the thing I dislike about Steven King is he wallows in pubescent torment. And why is there always an awkward horny fat guy?

I've been reading some Hellboy comic books lately. Found a nice website (readcomiconline.to) with a ton of comics on it as long as you use a browser with ad block, like firefox with ublock origin (nice because it allows the ad-on on the moble version, unlike chrome).
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

morange wrote:

I've been reading some Hellboy comic books lately.

Excuse me ... please refer to it as Heckboy
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:25 am

I think most know my name to search for on Goodreads should you get it. I’d be interested in seeing what you all are reading (apart from this thread of course), otherwise pm me and ill add you

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 am

I Goodreads, it is a very helpful tool for keeping track of what you've read. The recommendations algorithm is a little strange though. Or maybe that's just me?
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:16 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:I Goodreads, it is a very helpful tool for keeping track of what you've read. The recommendations algorithm is a little strange though. Or maybe that's just me?

Nah I agree, it's pretty shit. I kinda hate that "non-fiction" is its own category. Idgaf about non-fiction self help books, but I read on economic history all the time. So somehow thats the same genre.

Speaking of, I just started reading this:

So far its pretty good, but far from as good as The Great Transformation. I need to read more Polanyi for my masters thesis. Soon I'll be reading other shit hopefully.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby TraceItalian » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:40 pm

cloudscapes wrote:Ithink the thing I dislike about Steven King is he wallows in pubescent torment. And why is there always an awkward horny fat guy?

I'll never be able to unread that. I just disliked him for his good vs evil narrative and that his books are shit for rereading. But I still try to read each one

I just got done with Joe Abercombie's half a king trilogy. I liked em, but not as much as his more adult leaning books
TraceItalian

committed
committed

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed May 01, 2019 3:32 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:I Goodreads, it is a very helpful tool for keeping track of what you've read. The recommendations algorithm is a little strange though. Or maybe that's just me?

Nope, the recommendations engine is garbage. (To be fair, the only recommendation engine that's ever worked for me is Spotify - they have misses but their generated playlists are actually good at finding things I haven't heard before.)
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 am

I read Jim Bouton's Ball Four when I was a baseball-obsessed tween. Combo of baseball and "beaver shooting" stories hooked me.

Re-reading it 20+ years later, much more a casual follower of baseball, it's still surprisingly good.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby sears » Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 am

morange wrote:

I think the thing I dislike about Steven King is he wallows in pubescent torment. And why is there always an awkward horny fat guy?

Since he's gotten sober his characters are more adult. I'm not saying his books are better but he's still writing really good ones.
sears

committed
committed

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 am

11/22/63 wasn't perfect (cut it out with the music references, man) but it might honestly have been the best novel-length King I've read.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby fcknoise » Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 am

I just finished on art and life, and I recommend it to everyone here. It managed to put words to why I love drone music and make sense of certain political concepts, through the lens of just talking about gothic architecture. Also its just 100 pages, and I got it used for like 5€.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion