Asking suppliers/stores to use less plastic for your order.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Asking suppliers/stores to use less plastic for your order.

Postby Snufkino » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm

A bit random but thought this was worthwhile posting here. :idk:

Just wanted to say that I've been ordering from Bits Box (UK) for a long while, and like other suppliers and online shops they've always been in the habit of bagging every single item, even if it's a single transistor. Since the use of plastics has been in the news more lately it gave me a kick up the arse to just leave a note with them asking to use as little plastic packaging for my order as possible. That I can work out all the different resistor and cap values myself etc. And they obliged! My most recent order was even better. Just a single bag with everything in it.

Just wanted to put this out there. You might think it's a drop in the ocean, but an ocean is just a collection of drops, and positive action doesn't cost anything, and hopefully might make the other person start taking action without prompting. Besides that, since they're not having to bag and label everything, you might get your order made quicker!

Having said all that, maybe it turns out these little bags are biodegradable, so it's not worth it on the environmental front, but I'd still do it anyway since I really don't need dozens of little bags every time. Total waste of time and effort to all concerned.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Re: Asking suppliers/stores to use less plastic for your ord

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I fully support this, but I'll add that most places probably aren't set-up to accommodate requests like that.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby kosta » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Great thought!
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm torn between my personal sense of responsibility to do the right thing and my resentment about how the government/media place the moral impetus for saving the planet on normal people, instead of the handful of corporations and rich people who actually cause the bulk of the problem and have the means to enact real change, if only the onus to do so were forced upon them.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby drolo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:58 pm

that' a very good initiative and places like bits box are usually open to such requests. there just still is the fear a lot of companies have to upset potential customers that expect things to be packaged thoroughly ... but eventually I think more people will accept or even request it.
I sure wish bigger companies like Mouser etc would make some efforts because boy do they use lots of plastic ....
I usually try to ask someone about that but they have such complex automated processes that making a different process for someone is a nono. But eventually if enough people ask ...
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Good post! :)*

drolo wrote:I usually try to ask someone about that but they have such complex automated processes that making a different process for someone is a nono. But eventually if enough people ask ...

That's what I was thinking, packing procedures are probably pretty ingrained. :cry:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby drolo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Good post! :)*

drolo wrote:I usually try to ask someone about that but they have such complex automated processes that making a different process for someone is a nono. But eventually if enough people ask ...

That's what I was thinking, packing procedures are probably pretty ingrained. :cry:

That's why I try to order in bulk as much as I can. But you should see the amount of plastic I end up with regularly...it's crazy ... I bring them to our recycling centers who have a special bin for soft plastic, bags etc. They get recycled somehow apparently but I have not been able to get any precise details ..
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:49 pm

People rely too heavily on the "recycle" part of the "reduce, reuse, recycle" equation.

The "reduce" is the most important part. It's becoming less and less profitable to recycle. What are we gonna do then? :eek:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drolo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:51 pm

true and honestly the recycling part is bit opaque here ... so not really sure they're even doing that right
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects