Fixing fret buzz for idiots

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Fixing fret buzz for idiots

Postby Big Mon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm the idiot.

I got one of those cheap little Epiphone LP specials with the P90's. I've got obnoxious fret buzz on frets 5-7 on the A and D strings, as well as on the 8th fret of the High E.
It has a wraparound bridge. Do I need to adjust the truss rod or can I raise the bridge some and fix it that way? (in my super layman observations, the neck looks pretty straight, but see "super layman").
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Fixing fret buzz for idiots

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:20 pm

yeah... raising might help.. maybe..

here have some snarky Canadian help
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Big Mon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:04 am

Thank you, old friend. But Big Mon handled that shit (though I raised the action quite high-maybe high enough for slide play. Double duty as a lap steel? :idea: )
Big Mon

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 am

if you cut a new nut you can lower the action a tiny bit. you can alternatively dress the frets but you will also flatten them slightly. cheaper than putting a new nut. a recrown for your new flat spots after dressing is cost prohibitive. the nut is kinda cost prohibitive also. if you were a guitar repair ninja you could file down the problem spots after taking lots of super accurate measurements using special tools. you pretty much already know where the high spots are now you just gotta take those measurements so you can be %100 sure where and how much you need to grind the frets down. sometimes on those pawn shop epi's you have frets lifting up in which case you use a fret hammer to hammer them back down until they are seated again. no guarantee your hammering will be permanent though.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects