Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:13 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:19 pm

So 65 bucks for a circuit board basically
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:26 pm

dminner wrote:
ck3 wrote:That optical ring mod looks to be teh seks. How does it differ from something like a Minifooger R-mod?

I am not sure any other ring mod works the way the optical ring does. When I designed it I didn’t really know much about ring mods so it works in somewhat of an inconvential way. The carrier signal is actually an optical theremin based circuit. The guitar goes through a fuzz circuit with led clippings and leds control the pitch and volume of the optical theremin carrier. This is what lend the name optical ring and how it creates unique wind down and pitch bending effects with your playing without the need for an expression pedal :)

So you use the act of the LEDs lighting up when clipping to control the LDR for the theremin? I was fooling around with the Nurse Quacky envelope and LDRs on a few things recently... I like your idea. Running a clipping pair to ground through a B10k or whatever probs gives you a sensititvy control I'd imagine too.

I have a MFOS ring mod, and you can plug in all kinds of stuff for your carrier or multiplier, pretty fantastic design. Uses the 633 multiplier chip.. pretty cool design.

I love ring mods
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 pm

As far as I can tell, the PAiA is just a Craig Anderton Ring Mod kit.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 pm

If it's anything like my Mossapotamus CA, it'll be a nice (very) grimy ring mod :love:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 am

Chankgeez wrote:Beat up & apparently RARE:

https://reverb.com/item/15484185-rare-p ... -diy-pedal

Fuck it, I bought this. I made a few versions of this from Scott from Montreal Assembly's PCBs way back. I always loved it because of the effects loop as I always loved running delay and fuzz in parallel with the Ring Mod. This was cheap and will be easy to clean up. Will be interesting to see how it sounds compared to Scott's old boards. It's the same circuit as the one on the Mossapotamus site. :joy:
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:41 am

Dope man. Let us know :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:15 pm

LaoWiz wrote:
Fuck it, I bought this. I made a few versions of this from Scott from Montreal Assembly's PCBs way back. I always loved it because of the effects loop as I always loved running delay and fuzz in parallel with the Ring Mod. This was cheap and will be easy to clean up. Will be interesting to see how it sounds compared to Scott's old boards. It's the same circuit as the one on the Mossapotamus site. :joy:

:!!!: :yay: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:25 am

Looks like jonnyangle's sellin' his "Monoloth":

https://reverb.com/item/15978583-rma-monoloth

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 am

I'd buy it to compare to current and correct all the early "flaws", but I'm pedge until years end.

If memory serves, that unit would benefit from an output volume control.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:55 am

It's like a Skippy with a couple more features.. ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:12 pm

A Pigtronix Ringmaster arrived earlier today. I had an hour or so to do some tinkering with it placed in my amp's effects loop. Per the usual protocol, I did so without reading a manual and was eventually able to deduce how the knobs and switches interact. So far, it seems muffled, overly clippy, and and meh aside from hypnotic glitchiness and synth-like textures possible when engaging the intelligent, LFO, and sample hold ring modulation modes. The tremolo seems pretty weak and unwieldy compared to other options on hand, but may just need to be tweaked better. There is also the distinct possibility the pedal may sound better in front of my amp, though I can already tell that the included power supply will generate a noticeable amount of unwanted noise. More experimentation is in order before rendering a final verdict.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 pm

Blast it second in your chain with a good boost and see if that makes it go bananas.. pigtronix make a good stuff typically.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eyobeez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am

Today's my day off for the week, and I'm like this close to ordering a Subdecay Vitruvian Mod.
eyobeez

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear