Baritone Pickup Suggestion

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Baritone Pickup Suggestion

Postby dallasisacowboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Looking for some baritone pickup recommendations! Please and thanks.
dallasisacowboy

committed
committed

Re: Baritone Pickup Suggestion

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Not nearly enough information. What kind of music, guitar, tuning, etc...?
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dallasisacowboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 pm

You're absolutely right, my bad. It's a Warmoth Les Paul build (mahogany body, roasted maple neck). I tune to G. Looking for something humbucker-sized (I'm down with p90s). I'm also looking for something low/medium gain as I play in a "doom" band but we do have clean parts. Thanks.
dallasisacowboy

committed
committed

Postby voerking » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 am

i have a TV Jones Magnatron in the bridge of my baritone Telecaster. i'd highly recommend it. it's very low output and on the bright side, but it sounds killer with pretty much every amp/pedal combo i've run it through.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Maybe something like a PAF clone like a Seth Lover or Fralin Pure PAF?
They are low output, have scooped EQ and sound a little single coil-ish which is nice for cleans.
It seems like it helps a lot to have a somewhat higher output humbucker for the bridge position because there is a large difference in volume between the neck and bridge which seems more apparent with humbuckers (with more volume coming from the neck pickup). I have a 14k bridge and 6k neck in my Les Paul right now and the neck still seems a tiny bit louder (with the bridge set high and the neck pretty slammed) due to how much more volume a neck pickup will get from the larger string movement at that area on the string as opposed to the bridge area.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby doommeow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:31 pm

GFS Mean 90s (not dreams, not 180s) seem to sound great in pretty much everything.

I've got use fairly standard tele pickups in my bari - handwounds, yes, and 4-way switching - but nothing particularly out of the ordinary. Plenty of low end heft, great clean or dirty - especially with the extra position.

I like A4 for low wind humbuckers. A2s can sound dull, a5s generic. A4 hits that sweet spot - clarity, bite, girth, all the flowery lawyer tone descriptors that are cliche but end up sound great through a big wound up amp.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:29 am

I have BAreknuckle Nailbombs in my baritone Nude Guitar. Tuned to B-standard. Really versatile, also the cleans sound superb and the distorted tone are crushing.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby dallasisacowboy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Went with an Alumitone/Deathbucker combo deal for a very affordable price (Labor Day sales!). Thanks for the help everyone!
dallasisacowboy

committed
committed

Postby oscillofuzz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 am

Do you have the alumitones installed yet? How do you like their sound?
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby dallasisacowboy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Yeah, I have Alumitones installed in my Baritone & my Bass VI. I like them a great deal. I've had them in other instruments before and they've never really let me down. Lots of clarity. They handle gain well! I would say that the main complaint about them around these parts/the internet is that they lack character and to some degree, I can see where people are coming from. But for my set-up they have proven time and time again that I can try all the Duncan's, DiMarzio's, Railhammer's, and other Lace pickups that I want and sure enough, at the end of the day they're still going to be the best pickup for me.
dallasisacowboy

committed
committed

Postby bemaha » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:35 am

I have Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in my guitar, which is tuned to A standard. Sounds pretty wicked.
bemaha

interested
interested

Postby Faldoe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I have a SD Alt 8 in the bridge and it's hot but cleans up nicely. SD Super Distortion in the neck. 27'' scale. Drop A tuning.
Faldoe

Postby TraceItalian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 pm

If budget isn't a huge thing, I'd seriously call up Fralin. He's super patient and will actually coordinate your sound and what you need. Last time I needed pickups, I was on the phone with him for 30 minutes while he walked me through the difference of wire gauge
TraceItalian

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:43 pm

i would consider the TV Jones T-Armond Dynasonic clone which i believe you can get in a humbucker-sized casing. Dynas and Dyna-types are the best pickups for neck position i've ever heard.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Return to Guitar and Bass