The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby KingNed » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01 pm

I saw a band called Khost last night in my local venue. I booked/promoted and also played the night, and they were the headliner. They were fantastic, but the room was pretty much empty (main support brought loads of people, who all immediately left after they played. Gig also clashed with some other heavy gigs in town and world cup games). They were amazing - look them up if you want to hear some genuinely frightening industrial/atmospheric doomy stuff. They're two tall scary looking guys playing some pretty evil music, but are genuinely lovely in person.
The reason for this post was the guitarist's tone. He was running a Schecter 8 string with EMG's through a couple of Mooer pedals (I only saw him actually use a delay and tuner), into a Laney GH100L with a 2x12 with V30s (which I lent him). It was honestly one of the most destructively massive distortion tones I've heard. A little bit of scoop/fizz (V30's I assume. It was this cab's first outing after I got it for a crazy price), but it was just humongous otherwise. It makes me start to doubt all the time and money I've put into experimenting with my tone via pedals, multiple amps, cabs etc, when he can achieve a positively jaw dropping heavy tone plugged straight into a beat up Laney and a random cab he borrowed. I saw Conan and Monolord a couple of weeks ago in the same venue playing their Hilbish and Orange rigs (respectively) through full stacks and it honestly wasn't much better than what I heard last night. Food for thought...
Staff Party - Noise Rock Power Trio https://thisisstaffparty.bandcamp.com/
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Those reusable bags you get at a lot of stores, specifically the Vans store but probably others the same size, are the perfect dimensions for a Nano +
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby foomanfat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Should I hardtail my Mustang or rout it for a Jaguar vibrato?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 am

Chankgeez wrote:
Dandolin wrote:Framus Quad lap steel slide guitar 4 neck vintage 1950,s

http://reverb.com/item/13108009-framus-quad-lap-steel-slide-guitar-4-neck-vintage-1950-s

:eek: :joy:

:whoa: :rock: :animal:

Just imagine the guy's lap.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:07 pm

jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Yikes. That's dope! I wonder what the 93$ in shipping gets you ...
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Someone installed an optical theremin thing in one, badass
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 pm

lost in music wrote:
Just imagine the guy's lap.

:lol:

That's what the legs are for.

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ognoy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Thinking of getting a DL4 again.
Sold my old one when I bought a Timeline in 2012, but it still miss the looper. I remember the delays as kinda dull though.
Anyone still use a DL4?
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby greenmario » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 pm

ognoy wrote:Thinking of getting a DL4 again.
Sold my old one when I bought a Timeline in 2012, but it still miss the looper. I remember the delays as kinda dull though.
Anyone still use a DL4?

I've been thinking of buying one again too for the same reason + n o s t a l g i a
greenmario

involved
involved

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 pm

I've always wanted one.. and then I start looking at the TC stuff .. I suppose if someone sold me a DL4 cheap AF I'd probably just jam on it

More specifically I've been wanting a flashback triple
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 pm

my friend hooked me up w/ a cheapo bass. having a lot of fun jamming on it but that shit hurts my fingers.
its green too!
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm

So I bought a EHX Russian Big Muff reissue and an Op Amp Big Muff. Only previous **personal** experience was with a black Russian Muff, which I didn't like at the time, and with a couple of malfunctioning BYOC muff micro clones. I set the EHX muffs up with a Boss LS-2 so I could A/B them seamlessly.

Seems like there is a lot of overlap there, I was able to make the Russian sound like the Op Amp, and vice versa. The basic DNA of the Russian is darker and more muffled, but with the tone controls up high around 3:00 or 4:00, the Russian was able to get OP Amp sounds (when the Op Amp tone knob was around noon). Really nice full sound with good bass and enough detail in the treble, harmonics(?) etc. Turning the tone knob down below noon on the Op Amp muff, I could get similar bass to the Russian muff and still have plenty of detail in the highs. After knob tweaking, I could flip back and forth, and not know which pedal was on.

Op Amp muff does have a lot more range in the upper frequencies, it's possible to make the Op Amp sound harsh and trebly, which the Russian muff basically cannot do. So the Op Amp muff is a little more flexible and if you like mids (like I do) maybe the Op Amp is a better choice, because there is a lot of flexibility/range in the mids. I did really like the Russian with the tone turned up pretty high (like 3:00) it's really great that way, IMO.

Then I ran them together and that was amazing. First time I've stacked fuzz and gotten impressive results. Amp was solid state, maybe that's why? (Orange OR-120). In the past I've used toob amps. Guitar was a Squier Jaguar. It's possible that I was hearing a lot of the Jaguar coloring the tone, I don't know. It's possible with a different guitar I would hear more differences in the pedals.

Oh yeah, I didn't run the Op Amp muff with the Tone Bypass switch on. I liked it better when I could add more treble via the tone knob. I hope that wasn't a faux pas.

Sorry if this is old news to everybody else, or stating the obvious, etc. I previously haven't liked Muffs, but this time was different. Both pedals were bought in the $65 range. I recommend both, they are both excellent.
Last edited by K2000 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:my friend hooked me up w/ a cheapo bass. having a lot of fun jamming on it but that shit hurts my fingers.
its green too!

Don't hurt your fingers! That's where the tone is.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 am

K2000, that's a solid write up on those to muff variants!

Attention pedal builders: Why bother with top mounted jacks if you're still going to put the power, or a toggle, on the side? :grumpy: (looking at you idiotbox)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear