MacBook nerds: I need thee

Moderator: Ghost Hip

MacBook nerds: I need thee

Postby Faldoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 pm

My friend is living in China - teaching and studying - and his computer died. I was thinking of getting him a computer and sending it to him.

I still have my early 2011 MBP - using it right now - and it's held up but I'm not sure how much life it has left. What would be a reasonable year MBP to consider that would still have a good amount of life left in it. Say 2013-2015? I'm be buying something used.

He'd likely use it for school, movies/streaming. He's not a gamer. Maybe an AIR would be good too?
Faldoe

Re: MacBook nerds: I need thee

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Macbook Pros tend to last about 7 to 8 years, depending on use. And honestly, unless you're doing intense editing, hard scientific computations, or other graphically-intense processes you don't really need spend the extra $1,000 on a MBP. Save the scrap and buy a used Air or regular Macbook.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 pm

mine is late 2008 and still going strong. *knock on wood*
semi recently put twice the apple spec'ed amount of ram in it and an SSD
which made it fly as far as i was concerned.
i use it a ton every single day. and recently replaced the battery as well

i heard that at some point (2011?) they changed it so there isn't any or as many user replaceable parts
which would prolly shorten the life on any laptop.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Mine is 2011 and I also maxed the ram - 16gb - and added an SSD. Perhaps it was the 2013 or so when they went to flash memory I think where the RAM is also soldered in.
Faldoe

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

ah word yea i kinda hope they go back to the user replaceable shit by the time i am looking for a new one

anyway, i agree w/ BD, if the person isn't doing anything crazy w/ it, they prolly dont need anything fancy.

i seen some really cheap refurbed MB's and AIR's on eBay recently for like 2-3 hundo (atleast seemed cheap to me i didn't really look into it and compare)
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm

also what a nice friend u are!
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Why does he need a Macbook? Can't it be something else? :idk:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 am

Bassist_Diver wrote:Macbook Pros tend to last about 7 to 8 years, depending on use. And honestly, unless you're doing intense editing, hard scientific computations, or other graphically-intense processes you don't really need spend the extra $1,000 on a MBP. Save the scrap and buy a used Air or regular Macbook.

Yeah I changed the title to MacBook after realizing the air could be good for him.

Trem - yeah, could get something else. I think he is interested given his awareness of their reliability, but I’m sure there are other windows laptops that are as good.
Faldoe

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 am

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and a 2009 13" MacBook, both with a solid state hard drive added coming in the post right now. I have needed for them and they are both machines I like.. AND neither are coming with fucking 10.13 on them fuck 10.13 :mad: I also have a 10.8 disk coming from Apple and if the 10.11 that they are coming with pisses me off I will downgrade the is on both.

As the good doctor said.. Stay awayyyyyyyyyy from 2011 15 & 17 MacBooks I know... I have a dead one...
Last edited by Mudfuzz on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 am

Mudfuzz wrote:I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and a 2009 13" MacBook, both with a solid state hard drive added coming in the post right now.

As the good doctor said.. Stay awayyyyyyyyyy from 2011 15 & 17 MacBooks I know... I have a dead one...

Interesting. Is there something about those that made them more susceptible to failure?
Faldoe

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 am

The graphics cards overheated https://www.cultofmac.com/262861/early- ... ues-blame/
Mine lasted until February of 2017... Other than it dying it was a awesome computer, never had issues... Until.. Almost as good as my G4.. Now that computer is a tank :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Bassist_Diver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and a 2009 13" MacBook, both with a solid state hard drive added coming in the post right now. I have needed for them and they are both machines I like.. AND neither are coming with fucking 10.13 on them fuck 10.13 :mad: I also have a 10.8 disk coming from Apple and if the 10.11 that they are coming with pisses me off I will downgrade the is on both.

I have a mid-2015 MBP and it's been beast mode so far....
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 pm

i think he meant 2011 -> 15" & 17" :idk:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:22 am

Yes, it was a batch in that year. And only the larger sized ones.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby odontophobia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 am

I have a 2009 hanging around that’s still going strong. 6gb of RAM because I haven’t ordered another 4 GB stick. Traditional hard drive still. I’ll upgrade to SSD at some point. But honestly the only thing I’ve used it for is web browsing and iTunes.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussion