New band...Needs new dirt :/

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New band...Needs new dirt :/

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 am

Thanks!

I should be embarassed about all the stuff that's been suggested that I tied and flipped, usually for the dumbest reasons. Mostly GAS I guess :facepalm:

The Boneshaker didn't have a ton of saturation when maxed, at least to my ears. Single coils vs humbuckers might make a difference there too I guess.
And I generally don't get along with dirt pedals that have more than three controls. My 'set and forget' approach gets messed up when I'm looking down at 6 controls. LIke I said, dumb reasons :facepalm:

The GT500 is rather big, but since it's got the two channels, it could push my Microamp of the board :idk:
Those Boss options are worth a shot, cheap enough and easy to come by. Had an ODB-3, it's a bit too menacing I think, but the blend control would've been nice for what I'm looking for now. Gunslinger, MXR EVH, J&H...Definatelly affordable, I'll look into all of those.

The idea is to go into high gain territory without ending with the usual messy heap of noise. Dispite those postrock references that is, cause I'll steer the band into a sligtly different direction eventually :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:34 am

ognoy wrote:Rat!

this
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 am

frigid midget wrote:Rats are way too sizzly and lack low end.

:idk:

At the highest gain setting, there's just too much lows being sacrified for all those mids. I've had AWESOME tones coming out of my old silverface twin reverb, using a ruetz'd rat stacked with a Hotcake or SD-1...But on it's own, at least with my current rig, a Rat doesn't really do the trick imo :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 am

Russian Circles guitarist uses a Bogner Burnley Distortion ito a Twin and it sounds awesome.

If you can get your hands on an OCD I think that could work for you. Loma Prieta used then to great effect into V4s and they get pretty heavy.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:24 am

OCDs are awesome but you have so much gear already FM I'm sure you can find something that works if you stack them?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 am

frigid midget wrote:
but I'd rather not lower myself to using miab type peds

Ok, so I haven't heard any of the bands you listed and can't check them out at the moment. But if they have Marshall-y type sounds, just get a fucking MIAB. If your pride is still getting in the way, I guess you could mount it underneath your board :lol:
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 am

I know they're a bit hyped/unobtainium these days but the hudson broadcast is amazing for a tasteful touch of warm grit, or blow-your-hat-off fuzz
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am

The other guitarist in my band is using a yellow MXR and Rat in conjunction, and it sounds great too. For reference, she's feeding into a Sovtek Mig50 and I'm using a Quad Reverb. Have you settled on your reverb options? You may want to keep that in mind when finalizing your dirt complement. I imagine you'll want them to sound good together too.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am

You could plug a turd into a Mig 50 and it would sound good loud.. just sayin. Stacking is the undiscovered country for me and I find something new and great almost every time. Current favorite Angry Troll boost-->Black Acid
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am

You're not wrong.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:I know they're a bit hyped/unobtainium these days but the hudson broadcast is amazing for a tasteful touch of warm grit, or blow-your-hat-off fuzz

I got a clone off reverb for 125. Love it!!!
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm

I would have thought HM-2 or a fuzz pedal that's not too splatty or some combination of both would do the trick. :idk: I don't know everything you have though.

If a new dirt pedal is needed for those sorts of sounds I'd definitely second the Elements. It's great for the sort of tight distortion in those bands you mentioned and is versatile enough to do a load of other stuff so is a good buy.

Maybe a Rat if the Elements is too pricey/not quite to your taste for some reason.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:11 pm

That Joe Gore pedal—the Gross—looks really fantastic for a very tweakable distortion. If you're into having lots of flavors (some maybe subtly different, I understand), might be an option to check out.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:I know they're a bit hyped/unobtainium these days but the hudson broadcast is amazing for a tasteful touch of warm grit, or blow-your-hat-off fuzz

I got a clone off reverb for 125. Love it!!!

I'm really glad i grabbed one before the hype exploded. they can't make them fast enough these days, they just get snapped up and then any that get flipped go for more than the new price
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm

popvulture wrote:That Joe Gore pedal—the Gross—looks really fantastic for a very tweakable distortion. If you're into having lots of flavors (some maybe subtly different, I understand), might be an option to check out.

That one immediately grabbed my attention when I came across a NAMM clip not too long ago! Thanks for reminding me, I'll look into the local availability nstuff.

And yeah, I'm also surprised that nothing in my current arsenal seems to work, but than again, like I said...Sizzly buzzy zippery fuzz or clean boosts or bees in a jar...Are just pretty far on other sides of the od/dist spectrum :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear