New band...Needs new dirt :/

Moderator: Ghost Hip

New band...Needs new dirt :/

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm not really into these bands that much, but so far it seems that the vibe/sound/mojo of bands like Maybeshewill, And So I Watch You From Afar, Russian Circles, Maserati, Red Sparrows,...would fit best for what we've got in our heads. It'll probably end up a little more 'punk rock' though, as in '3-piece no synth' and no 'epic shimmery apocalyptic film score parts' that seems typical for this style. I'm basicly gonna force my 'city of caterpillar'-esque influences into the mix once -if- we find someone to add vocals...

I sounds like I'd be better off with a slightly more 'hi fi' approach to my dirty sounds. My HM-2 does a decent job, but other than that all my other dirt pedals are true fuzz pedals, really gritty and sizzly. My Harmonic Percolator lacks gain, and so does my Microamp.

I can't afford to buy pedals for the sake of buying pedals anymore, but I really doubt stacking or eq'ing will get me there...

I don't know if maybe "get a high gain amp" would be the short answer here, but there's simply no budget for that, and there's no way in hell I'm flipping my Traynor YBA-1.

It's been too long since I tried OCD type overdrives, I can't really remember/imagine how they sound, at least not on my amp, and maybe pushed with another pedal. Rats are way too sizzly and lack low end, but I've been out of the loop in terms of "boring" overdrive/distortion. There's way too much stuff out there to randomly check bloozy sounding youtube clips, I'm curious what you guys have to say...Way Huge, EQD, Dod/Digitech,...I'm open to boutique stuff as well, as long as it's relatively easy to come by and not too pricey :) Cheers.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: New band...Needs new dirt :/

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm

When in doubt, Metal Zone.
Or whatever boutique $200 distortion box that sounds like it in a mix.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Not sure if you're serious there, but my cheap old HM-2 is actually the closest I came to the sound I'm after.

For the first time ever I'm actually looking for a pedlol that could be described with terms like 'note definition', 'warmth', 'clarity'...:facepalm:

I'm stoked about the new band and all, but I'd rather not lower myself to using miab type peds or dumb looking mesa/bogner distortion pedals :p
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 pm

HM-3 and DOD Gunslinger come to mind. No joke.
and both are pretty cheap ($30-50)
...You can borrow either, or both, for a few days if you'd like

(My Haxan might work too, but it may be too sizzly. "Harmonic porcupine" with the gain maxed)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Maybe you're just looking for an OD or Distortion that has extra EQ possibilities? Maybe look for something that has at least a 3 band EQ, or maybe a boost switch on it? Something like a Visual Sounds VS-XO or Jekyll & Hyde, a Fulltone GT-500, or an MXR EVH?
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Boss odb-3 Rips pretty much anything

Cheap, durable, non cork sniffing
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 pm

frigid midget wrote:Not sure if you're serious there, but my cheap old HM-2 is actually the closest I came to the sound I'm after.

For the first time ever I'm actually looking for a pedlol that could be described with terms like 'note definition', 'warmth', 'clarity'...:facepalm:

I'm stoked about the new band and all, but I'd rather not lower myself to using miab type peds or dumb looking mesa/bogner distortion pedals :p

I am, lol.

You already have a great amp (biased because I love mine) and I actually liked the MT-2 through that fucker, gain set low-ish was key though.

And AFAIK, those bands except by Russian Circles are all about Oranges and Marshalls, not sure how close you want to get there but can't recall them being that chug chug.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm

My current band has some sonic similarities to the bands you mentioned, and I've been using an Idiotbox Han-Taun and a Chase Bliss Brothers (fuzz on the left, boost on the right, in parallel). It sounds best with all three on, but I also use the Han-Taun by itself from time to time. I know that's not a cheap answer, but that's what I've got (well, Han-Tauns are cheap). Have you considered a Smallsound/Bigsound Mini? If I had to use just one dirt pedal for what I'm doing, it would probably be that.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby misterstomach » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Elements.
Elements.
Elements.

I can't recommend it enough for what you're looking for. The EQ options are insane. and it sounds so good. I wish I hadn't sold mine. It can get fuzzy sounding if you want, but it does the OD/distortion thing perfectly and has all the gain you'll need. It's probably the most versatile pedal i've owned. Good balance and note clarity. And i'm sure you could tweak it to get along with any amp. It manages to have such a crazy versatile EQ, while still being relatively easy to just dial in a good sound. You don't have to spend all day knob twisting if you don't want to.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Of you opt for the dark Klone route, are on a budget, and don't mind mini pedals, the Tone City Bad Horse is half the price of a Han-Taun. A DOD Boneshaker may also be worth considering. And +1 for the Elements.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I’ve been using a DOD Gunslinger and a RAT into a Carvin X100b for this sort of stuff. I feel like the clean channel on that sounds a lot like the YBA-1 I used to have. It works really well and neither is expensive
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Jero wrote:HM-3 and DOD Gunslinger come to mind. No joke.
and both are pretty cheap ($30-50)
...You can borrow either, or both, for a few days if you'd like

(My Haxan might work too, but it may be too sizzly. "Harmonic porcupine" with the gain maxed)

DOD Gunslinger is pretty chronic for all types of dirt. Specially for the price.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 am

I'd go with a EAE Longsword, or a Caroline Wave Cannon because those are easier to get
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 am

Gt500 is a good option for the sounds it can make/price ratio. Would probably work awesome.

That or I always love the mini and/or a rat. They just sound right for everything I ever want to do, which is similar to what you’re trying to do.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 am

Rat!
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next