B.o.S. builds a .. Rando winter build part 2..

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. boxed another project.. finally

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Painted this up for my Dead Astronaut Abductor 2 .. It's a quad delay with separate volumes for each stage. Does really really long delays too.

It'll probably look better with a gloss coat. Need to touch up the numbers a little too. My brushes are old so it wasn't real accurate.
Attachments
20180712_195812_crop_402x507.jpg
20180712_195812_crop_402x507.jpg (152.86 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Painted this up for my Dead Astronaut Abductor 2 .. It's a quad delay with separate volumes for each stage. Does really really long delays too.

It'll probably look better with a gloss coat. Need to touch up the numbers a little too. My brushes are old so it wasn't real accurate.

Dude, that looks pretty killer! Alcohol inks?
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. hand painted case take 1

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks man! Nah it's all just Wal-Mart acrylics watered down and blended and layered.. I was pretty pleased with how it came out.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Painted this up for my Dead Astronaut Abductor 2 .. It's a quad delay with separate volumes for each stage. Does really really long delays too.

Very cool! :joy:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks dude, I am in the process of boxing a bunch of stuff and wanted to do something special for the Abductor. I rolled a couple 5537 LDR/LED combos to try in my meatball clone after a few dudes swore they were better than the 1M dark LDRs.. so we will see.

I bought five C1k 16mm pots from GB off eBay because Tayda only has the crap ones, and I didn't want to commit to a small bear order.. though I need to, so I can get a set of FZ-1A transistors.. I find most circuits that call for a 1k for the "Fuzz" knob always end up needing a C1k .. I was playing the black acid clone and it definitely needs a C taper for the fuzz.

I'm thinking I may hand paint a few more boxes this weekend since it's like 300° outside
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 am

Shoot man, I just got a small bear order in, I could have added something like that on there for ya.
Maybe we should start a diy group buy thread :idea:

...and multiple enclosures at once is the way to go. Especially if painting, and the weather permitting. I was doing a batch of enclosures last week, and came up with a new finish for one of my designs, which involved multiple layers/masking/etc...only to completely muck it up on the very last thing I had to add :facepalm: much disappointment.

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:12 am

Yeah I legitimately start stressing out hard when I'm like 90% done with an enclosure.

I have that little group of goodies I was threatening to send to you, I just have one final step to complete it.. I've been lazy and busy at work so my bench time is at a stand still.

I go through these stages where I'd really like to make higher quality enclosures and then reality sets in and I realize my cat and partner don't give a shit..

I built a what the fuzz .. using Freppos layout and it's quite possibly one of the more interesting 2 knob effects I've played.. I want to try some starve values to see what it does before I box it. It retains all the crazy sounds while cleaning up with volume knob on the guitar.. a highly recommended build. For sure.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:32 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Yeah I legitimately start stressing out hard when I'm like 90% done with an enclosure.

I have that little group of goodies I was threatening to send to you, I just have one final step to complete it.. I've been lazy and busy at work so my bench time is at a stand still.

I go through these stages where I'd really like to make higher quality enclosures and then reality sets in and I realize my cat and partner don't give a shit..

I built a what the fuzz .. using Freppos layout and it's quite possibly one of the more interesting 2 knob effects I've played.. I want to try some starve values to see what it does before I box it. It retains all the crazy sounds while cleaning up with volume knob on the guitar.. a highly recommended build. For sure.

I'm usually not too worried about it in the process, but I was elated by the turn out of this one, and then just totally fucked up. The enclosure got stuck to the stamp, and when I lifted, it picked up and released...face down right onto an ink pad :facepalm: Decided to finish stamping the controls anyway, and put one in the wrong spot...Reminder that working through the night isn't always a good idea...I'll post it eventually...my cats didn't care either :grumpy: :lol:

Looking forward to the goody box! You have me more curious now :cool:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Painted box looks rad!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Painted box looks rad!

Thanks man! I clear coated it yesterday and it looks even better. I am pretty pleased. I need to start etching
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzonaut » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 am

Yeah, the painted enclosure is super rad - as is the Dead Astronaut Abductor 2!

Looking forward to see your etchings - I just had a first ever go at it past weekend and the results were, uhm, quite interesting. :lol:
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks man!

:erm: I'm pretty sure I'll chemically barbeque a few boxes before I get anything that's decent.. but I feel like it might be the next step for enclosures for me.. share any advice you learned the hard way? :)*
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzonaut » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Ha-ha, well, I actually had the hardest time getting a decent transfer of the image, it just didn't work out properly, but I went ahead with the etching anyway ...

I had 3 back plates to try and used different paper/printers, maybe I also didn't sand down properly beforehand - or my ironing thing is not powerful enough or I didn't do it long enough?

The etching itself went pretty smoothly and it's a cool process to do - and watch.
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 pm

I've been revisiting my highly modified Opamp Bigmuff I was working on a few months ago.. The clipping options are interesting but I'm not sure I really want to have 7.. I usually end up finding one or two I like and putting them on a toggle. The mosfet clipping sounds cool, and I like asymmetric clipping as well. Got some new strange diodes from China that were supposed to be 1N34A's.. but they aren't. It was only a dollar so hey I'm not mad. They actually sound pretty good, 350mV ish forward voltage. It's definitely one of the more interesting Big Muffs around. Still can't quite get the oscillation controls the way I'd like, but it's getting closer. It might be fun to try a LDR in there with a "seeing eye" style control.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Built a Team Awesome.. didn't have any low gain Germanium NPN.. had some 100+ hfe 404's.. forget the letter .. maybe B? But anyway they sound great, but the gate doesn't work. Unrelated I had ordered some MP38's.. trying to get some MP35's.. but they have similar characteristics..

What a great fuzz. I may still just buy one if the price is right.

I got an accutronics real spring reverb that I'm going to put into my Echo base with a first toggle .. it may get spring rumble when stomped on .. but that could be cool. I was going to do the "Ruthenium" build, with an external gain pot if it sounds cool.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects