B.o.S. builds a .. Rando winter build part 2..

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. Violet Rams Head

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am

BetterOffShred wrote:Watson decided to help find the pots for my next build that I haven't had a chance to put away yet ..

That's awesome! :!!!: :lol: :hobbes:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:42 am

He's a real big help .. ;)

What else can you ask from a kitty?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. Vibrochamp combo

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 pm

I started building a Vibrochamp when I was still in college, bought a reproduction chassis off eBay, from the same guy who builds the lovetone clone boxes, and built the board myself, sourced most of the components from Doug Hoffman (which I highly recommend for amp and "mojo" pedal components should that sort of thing interest you. Anyway, I never wanted the 8" speaker, I wanted a 12".. a nice guy from California under the moniker of Rawcabs makes just about everything, so I ordered a pine 12" enclosure for the vibrochamp head. It's beautiful and I also got red wine tolex and period authentic fender grill cloth. I have the Silverface era handle and bottom corner caps not pictured. I'm going paint the whole thing black and then cover with the wine tolex. I've watched about 20 videos on it so far .. seems like 30% technique and 70% artform..

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with amp face plates ? I don't want a fender reproduction, but something classy and probably shiny aluminum ..
Attachments
20180407_090725-800x450.jpg
20180407_090540_crop_540x367.jpg
20180407_090540_crop_540x367.jpg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. Vibrochamp Combo

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Oh and also.. Cannabis Rex 12".. 8ohm. :joy:
Attachments
20180407_093101_crop_459x524.jpg
20180407_093101_crop_459x524.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Dude you are not helping my gas for a smaller diy tube amp...AT ALL :lol:

Get one of the bad ass resident etchers to do you something cool for a faceplate!
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Yeah man I won't say it was cheap..
Transformers: $130
Chassis: $45
Cab: $180
Speaker: $60
Grill cloth: $20
Tolex: $24
Electronic bits: $50
Handle: $12
Chassis straps:$10
Tubes:$40 (it'll run 6L6 or 6V6, and has a toggle for diode/5Y3 rectification)
And probably some other costs along the way. I just like building :D
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 am

Chankgeez wrote:It sounds good, huh? :snax:

As the recipient of this beauty, I can say that IT SOUNDS GOOD. Like real good. Like everything I want in a muff.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Boxed my stripboard Corruptor, put in the straight square wave toggle since the Fuzz is kind of brutal. Fredrik helped me with a volume trimmer, the Fuzz only mode was way louder than ring mod..

Yeah the enclosure is hideous, but pink sparkles.
Attachments
20180412_174931_crop_270x431.jpg
20180412_174931_crop_270x431.jpg (123.16 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: B.o.S. builds a .. Ringu-moduru!

Postby AZX309 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Its the fun kind of uggo tho
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 pm

What's the trick to using those knobs? I can't ever find a spot to line them up at. Am I daft?

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 pm

I put a pink led in it. It sounds dope as hell of course.

Finished my Arcadiator and into the unknown too. Lots of Freppo circuits this week.

The knobs man, I just set the zero position (all the way down) to be vertical, and then draw a pointer. So as you turn it up the pointer points at a higher number ;) they only go up to like 8.5.. but that's cool
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 am

Ah, so then you just deal with them being weird too, gotcha :lol:

I have several of those that I will like much more once I remove that metal ring ;)

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:48 am

Looks sharp!

I have some of those knobs too. I installed them to where the 0 is at 12 o'clock when the dial is full CCW. Honestly, I hadn't noticed that they cannot reach full on until you two mentioned it. Now that I do know, it will only act as a reminder that we can never reach reach our theoretical maximum of potential and I'll Zen on whilst others suffer.

I really like lovemyswitches as a supplier, but for production stuff I find *any* bottom dollar knob somewhat lacking in quality. I used a bunch in my 90s serial range after Mouser more than doubled the price on my preferred knob, but have gone back to using the Eagle Plastics knobs for quality reasons. For random shit I build for myself, LMS knobs are good enough because of their outstanding service.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

Yeah for sure man, I'm not happy with most knobs these days. The 1900 clones from Tayda are about the best imo, and smallbear has the cool synth pointer knobs as seen a page back on my wolf computer builds. I've looked on Mouser at knobs, but that's a nightmare if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

Anybody have a good source I may have missed ?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

The fit & finish of Davies & Eagle are super nice. Being able to turn the set screw and not have the pressed thread end ridge catch and shift the pot shaft position while tightening is dreamy, the the knob slides right on. ;)

They cost more, but ultimately that is what the user feels while in direct interaction with your build. Mouser's filter function works pretty well if you feed it right.

There are tons of cool knobs in the cut throat realm of surplus too, and hopefully more craftspeople will start popping their own custom jobbers through etsy and shit (for yeah, escalating cost, but... KNOBS)
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects