Pitch shifting delay

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pitch shifting delay

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I'd like a ps delay that does brighter and brighter repeats (darker and darker repeats would be a neat-to-have option), mostly for a wishy-washy gazing kind of sound. I know about the Boss PS series, but can anyone recommend some other pedals that'll do the trick? I just want some more models to look for whenever I'm browsing the local second-hand site. The only real requirement is that it does delay (20-800ms or something would be a good range, doesn't need to be tap-in, preferably a quite long tail) with brighter and brighter repeats. I'm looking to get something cheap that just gets the job done. (I'm in the process of acquiring all the different kinds of pedals I want on my board, and initially I'm looking at quite cheap options, with the intent to replace them with fancier pedals down the road.)
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Re: Pitch shifting delay

Postby oscillateur » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 am

By "brighter" you mean with a higher pitch, not high-pass filtered, right ?
If so, a Boss PS-2 or PS-3 can get you there. I'm a big fan of the PS-3 as it can do tons of cool things (which is why I have 3 of them) but the PS-2 is also good for this specific thing I think.

There might very well be an effect for that in the Zoom MS-70 CDR (which does tons of things and apparently sounds very decent), which would make it a very affordable option.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 am

Yeah, I mean higher pitch, thus *pitch*-shifting. And as I mentioned in the OP, I already know about the Boss PS series. So what I'm asking is if there's some other boxes that can achieve the same thing, that I can be on the lookout for, when browsing the local second-hand site. Sorry for a perhaps confusing OP!

I've looked at those Zoom boxes. Particularly the "shoegaze-in-one-box" kind, like the 70CDR. I really dislike the UI of those, preferring more of a do-one-thing-do-it-well approach when it comes to pedals, but if they come around cheap enough, I'll probably consider getting one! Maybe something like an Alesis Midiverb or a Yamaha SPX can do the same thing as well.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Pepe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 am

Some old multi effects boards are great, too. I loved that effect in the KORG AX30G. The pitch shifter of this unit can do a few more tricks than the PS-3 (that I also love to pieces).
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 am

You can do this with an Eventide Eclipse, but that's a rack unit. I'm not sure if any of their pedal algos do it.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby Invisible Man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:15 am

Also: pitchfactor. Not cheap, either.

Ct5 does it, too.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby fcknoise » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 am

i come in here like THIS IS MY TIME getting naked ready to lay down the suggestion until I realized

this is like the one thing timebender doesn't do. Or it could alternate between two/three different pitches but not continually keep going. That bicycle delay thing does that tho
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby weebles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Mondegreen
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby Invisible Man » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:29 am

fcknoise wrote:i come in here like THIS IS MY TIME getting naked ready to lay down the suggestion until I realized

this is like the one thing timebender doesn't do. Or it could alternate between two/three different pitches but not continually keep going. That bicycle delay thing does that tho

That’s because the pitchfactor is superior to the timebender, by which I mean you’ve made a terrible mistake.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm

EQD Rainbow Machine is another option. Did anyone mention the Digitech Timebender?

But the Boss PS-2 is going with me to my grave and I cannot recommend it enough if you want a delay that is anything but subtle.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby frodog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:48 pm

The Bicycle Delay does this pretty nicely. My friend has one and I've twiddled the knobs on it sever times while he was playing, so though I still don't get it entirely, I know the repeats are very adjustable in regard to timbre, pitch, etc. Can get gradually thinner delays with no pitch shiftin or down/up vortexes to Elysium.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Davin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

I stick a Boss PS-2 in the effects loop of a Rubberneck. You can pitch it up or down for delays that take off or plunge into the depths.
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby damnableman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby shovelhands » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 am

PS2 all the way
shovelhands

interested
interested

Postby frigid midget » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:16 pm

daedelus23 wrote:I stick a Boss PS-2 in the effects loop of a Rubberneck. You can pitch it up or down for delays that take off or plunge into the depths.

Fuck I totally forgot the Rubberneck has a loop. Want one even more now :facepalm:

Btw, dunno if you have any PS-3 experience? Probably the oldes pedlol question on the interweb, srry...: What's the difference? Love my PS-3, but what am I missing out on? :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear