Gibson Ripper?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Gibson Ripper?

Postby frigid midget » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm wildly lusting for one, even though I never even played one. They're not exactly easy to come by, but I'm a patient man. I've obviously got a fair idea of how they sound, but how would you describe the feel, playability? I can handle a somewhat chunky neck, but my small-ish hands prefer smoother slim necks, like the average stingray neck.

What's the next best thing, for a similar tone? Those aria/ibanez/etc ripper copies pop up on the used market now and then, but they're always located a bazillion miles from my home and/or they costs just a couple hundreds less than the real thing :idk:

Gibson EB14, RD, Alembic Stanley Clarke, wal MKII,...Seems like my taste in basses always leans towards shit I can't find and/or afford :facepalm:

Nothing wrong with the good old classics, I do dig stingrays, p-basses, j-basses,...But that's what all the other kids are playing already :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Gibson Ripper?

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

My buddy bought a used Epiphone ripper like the one below and he really digs it. Can't give much more detail other than I held it and played it a wee bit and was like "yeah this is pretty neat."

Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby frigid midget » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Yeah, as far as what I could find out about it online, it does a more than decent ripper tone, and it was a great bang for the buck.

Too bad it falls in the "rare" category though. Even though they're not that old, and epi isn't an obscure nor pricey brand or anything...It was apparantly a limited run. Don't remember how many exactly they made, but it's definatelly not enough for all the ripper fans out there that don't have the scratch for a gibbo :/
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassist_Diver » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am

If you can handle the weight, a Peavey T40 should sub in nicely. Or just a basic P bass.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:47 am

Ghost Hip wrote:My buddy bought a used Epiphone ripper like the one below and he really digs it. Can't give much more detail other than I held it and played it a wee bit and was like "yeah this is pretty neat."

Ugh I don't understand why Gibson don't use their pickups anymore. More chrome dog darnit! I am not a fan of the PJ on everything obssion.

On topic though a Ripper would sound sorta jazzish since it has single coils in sorta that position, they are bigger so they will sound fatter but I dont know if they are any darker though. If I remember correctly also the pickups have started to go bad in many of them now so look out for that. Also the bridges arent the greatest but there are replacements but hipshot that are liked. The necks on gibsons tend to vary but I suspect they are P-bass:ish on the rippers.

Lastly and mostimportantly: if you go new be very wary that gibson has the worst quality control and do not buy anything you haven't tested.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mct » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm

I recorded on a Grabber a few years back. The neck was heavy as hell and my left arm was sore for a few days after. Definitely harder to play than other basses but it sounds so fucking good. The pleasure was worth the pain.
Notables: masked elwood, TheInk'd, DannDubbleEwe, higain617, chippywallace, ianmarks, ooop, iamthesnow, oyrgawd, FOTP91, digi2t, lumena
https://kircher.bandcamp.com/track/sicko
https://tedandthenuggets.bandcamp.com/releases
https://crabaction.bandcamp.com
http://equestrians.bandcamp.com/
mct

committed
committed

Postby Wittgenstein » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Concur on the Grabber...effortlessly great bass tone, full, punchy, sits well in a mix
This course, a perpetual alternation of determining what is true, and then setting aside this determining, constitutes, strictly speaking, the steady everyday life and activity of perpetual consciousness, a consciousness which fancies itself to be moving in the realm of truth.
Wittgenstein

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dozicusmaximus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Ripper - thicker neck. Also the scale length is 34.5".
Everybody bitches about the bridge. It's a string through body so it will probably be fine. But, do keep an eye on it.
My stepdad has had one since 1977 or so. I remember him telling me, "Don't pay more that 800 for one." less than 10 years ago. haha.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Return to Guitar and Bass