EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Postby Olin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

cantremember wrote:Did he at least cut you a deal on the neck?

Mhm, but a significantly smaller one than you got. When I tried to negotiate my emails were ignored for about 8 weeks until I got a shipping notification with no other details.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Olin wrote:Am I a giant crybaby? Maybe. Am I allowed to have a whinge on the internet? Yes, that's what it's for. Hope everyone else is getting along fine with mine, they seem to be much better with the 25.5 inch necks at least.

i dunno, sounds like you have totally valid complaints that are way outside the normal "you know what you're getting into when you buy an EGC." it's really too bad that EGC isn't a little more in touch with their customers and perhaps a little more self-aware in how much time it takes to get this stuff made... personally i think it's totally balanced by the product, but i also didn't go through what you did!!
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Sucks, Olin. I agree you have a valid complaint. When I have an issue with a transaction I can never really get over it and enjoy the item I purchased. Hopefully you put these issues behind you can enjoy what you have. But I also have gripes with his lack of communication and general business practices. The bolt-ons might just be a money grab, perhaps helping them stay in business with a huge influx of cash, but they should have the thin necks for better balance with bodies. My bassist has two full builds on order, going on 5 years now and has a very hard time getting a hold of him. It was about a year ago that he was told to pay the remainder of his invoice because it was "home stretch." It also took a whole fucking year to make me a new pickguard. Choosing to not mention waiting a year and a half for something else at the moment. EGC is like cocaine, if you want it hard enough you will go through some bullshit to get it.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 am

I'm inclined to agree the bolt-on necks are a money-grab. Nothing wrong with that on its own, but the response of "oh boy we took on too many and can't keep up" isn't really acceptable for an established business, I don't think. I've sent them an email just saying that they sent a neck I didn't pay for, blah blah, but I don't expect a response, they only responded to me before they took their money lol.
However, been playing it a bit and it is pretty cool, affects the sound more than I expected it would, not in a "like taking a rug off my amp" kind of way, more like having a treble booster built into your output kind of way.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:25 am

codetocontra wrote:Sucks, Olin. I agree you have a valid complaint. When I have an issue with a transaction I can never really get over it and enjoy the item I purchased. Hopefully you put these issues behind you can enjoy what you have. But I also have gripes with his lack of communication and general business practices. The bolt-ons might just be a money grab, perhaps helping them stay in business with a huge influx of cash, but they should have the thin necks for better balance with bodies. My bassist has two full builds on order, going on 5 years now and has a very hard time getting a hold of him. It was about a year ago that he was told to pay the remainder of his invoice because it was "home stretch." It also took a whole fucking year to make me a new pickguard. Choosing to not mention waiting a year and a half for something else at the moment. EGC is like cocaine, if you want it hard enough you will go through some bullshit to get it.

woah woah woah, am i reading this correctly? your bassist has been waiting for his two builds for FIVE YEARS?!
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 am

Yeah. I did the math, he has been saying 4 years for a year now. They are a bit customized with German carves. I think one isn't working out well, and the other one is done. I told him to take the finished one but he wants an epic new bass day.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby antennafarm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 am

that's insanity, german carve or no.

what's the standard wait time on a single EGC instrument? i'm thinking of ordering a Standard next year (grad present to self because why not masturbate my life to death) but if it's going to be like that.....
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 am

What you get quoted and when it is delivered are not the same. An aluminum finish (not ano or paint) will be quickest. It is hard to recommend buying new with such varying lead times. Might be best to be on the lookout for used ones. They pop up for decent prices sometimes, usually around for what they sell new, just minus the wait.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 am

I've seen wait times from barely a month or two (Albini, etc) to about 6 years and then a refund for one of us normal folk. Average seems to be 2 years for a custom. Tyrannies are nice because they're only listed when they're available to sell.

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 am

man, I just want a white standard.

ah well.
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't want to dissuade you from looking into it and getting ahold of Kevin. I think you should actually. But the reality is that you may not get it as quick as he quotes.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

That's a bummer the service is so inconsistent. I've been told my neck's shipping this week, which will mean a three-month turnaround if it happens. I think I had to send nearly every email twice to get a response, but that seemed to be all it took.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby antennafarm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 pm

codetocontra wrote:I don't want to dissuade you from looking into it and getting ahold of Kevin. I think you should actually. But the reality is that you may not get it as quick as he quotes.

oh, I learned that lesson with my bolt-on! but there's a big difference between "a couple months late" and "a couple years late" y'know?
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby imJonWain » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Off topic but it reminds me alot of this local guy Doug who used to build custom motorcycle exhausts, mainly for race bikes. The guys work was insane, crazy titanium tig welded glory but when more people started coming to him for projects he kinda fell apart and people were waiting years for shit.

Tis a bummer...
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:10 am

totally, but that's the nature of some of this stuff. it's awesome but doesn't lend itself to larger production scales without sacrificing some of what makes it awesome in the first place, which is a trade-off that's really up to the manufacturer.
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects