EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Postby Olin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Well, I sent a few more emails asking what was up, got no response, filed a paypal claim and was given a refund in about 40 minutes or so.
Thoroughly disappointing experience, I only wanted any communication at all to let me know what was happening, which was apparently too hard. They make great instruments but maybe they should think about hiring someone to deal with correspondence...
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 am

Sucks.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby morange » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am

Don't overlook the mojotone wrhb, you guys that are looking for that kind of pickup. Sound great and better constructed than the duncan, lollar, or novak versions I had and returned. Plus they are four conductor wired so you can do fun things with splitting and phase.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby karmablock » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Not EGC but...

It's a Robot Graves Industries neck
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby antennafarm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm

fuuuuuuck.

i have a no f-hole thinline body waiting for one of those necks. can't wait for his next preorder and hope i have the scratch to put the deposit down.

how do you like it? have you been able to compare it to an EGC?
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby karmablock » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm

I haven't played an EGC only Kramers. I'm liking it a lot and I have only had it about a day. It is a one of thinnest necks I've ever played but it has been surprising how comfortable it feels.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby cantremember » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Got word that my neck is finally shipping today. I actually talked with Kevin over the phone a few times now and he is overwhelmed with people inquiring about the necks. It was like pulling teeth to try and get a response but I'm glad I followed through with it after how long it's taken. He is a really cool dude and cut me a really good deal for having to wait so long. Can't wait for it to finally show up!
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby kosta » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm

antennafarm wrote:fuuuuuuck.

i have a no f-hole thinline body waiting for one of those necks. can't wait for his next preorder and hope i have the scratch to put the deposit down.

how do you like it? have you been able to compare it to an EGC?

Neck-dive might be a thing with that combo of body and neck, depending on the body wood.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Were any of the earlier runs telecaster necks? If so, does anyone have heel measurements? I have a deposit on one, and I want to make sure it's going to be a match for the body I have in mind. They're both third-party telecaster parts, but I've had a few people tell me that may not guarantee a match.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I gave up on my build and parted it out. Everything sold within 24 hours. Very grateful to the two ILFers that bought parts. I lost money on the project, as expected, but it is more about intent and feel, as I just did not bond with the thicker neck and much prefer my EGC thin neck. Plus the neck dive issue. The bolt on sound pretty good though. Ultimately I don't think I need multiple guitars of similar scales. Not saying I am a "one guitar guy" but that is sort of how I feel sometimes. Going to be owning a Bass VI in the future though.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Reposted because fuck photobucket.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

That's a beautiful instrument, and honestly pretty similar in look to what I'm going for with my build. I saw you were selling one of those aluminum Backbone plates for the back of a tele, and I assume that had been intended for this. Did you find that to have a meaningful impact on the instrument's sound (if you even got that far in the build)? Also, I assume the strings are supposed to run through the interchangeable plate on the Backbone, so I assume it only works with bridges where the strings start at the back of the guitar, or am I off base there? Either way, it was a great-looking guitar!
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

kosta wrote:Neck-dive might be a thing

I'm not saying that there is a fix-all for neckdive on an unbalanced instrument but strap placement CAN help. one thing you guys could try is get a small C clap and tie a strap to it and move it around to see if you can get the things to balance before drilling the hole.. it took 2 tries on my V bass to get it right, but once I got the right spot it balances better than a lot of light bodied Ps and rics :idk:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby kosta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
kosta wrote:Neck-dive might be a thing

I'm not saying that there is a fix-all for neckdive on an unbalanced instrument but strap placement CAN help. one thing you guys could try is get a small C clap and tie a strap to it and move it around to see if you can get the things to balance before drilling the hole.. it took 2 tries on my V bass to get it right, but once I got the right spot it balances better than a lot of light bodied Ps and rics :idk:

That's real. Geometry (vis-a-vis strap placement) is a powerful thing. The P-Deluxe that I'm building up with my aluminum neck is balancing pretty well with standard strap placement so far. But I think that's more to do with the body being heavy as hell. (It's made of plywood.) (No idea how it's gonna sound....)
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm

bennroe wrote:That's a beautiful instrument, and honestly pretty similar in look to what I'm going for with my build. I saw you were selling one of those aluminum Backbone plates for the back of a tele, and I assume that had been intended for this. Did you find that to have a meaningful impact on the instrument's sound (if you even got that far in the build)? Also, I assume the strings are supposed to run through the interchangeable plate on the Backbone, so I assume it only works with bridges where the strings start at the back of the guitar, or am I off base there? Either way, it was a great-looking guitar!

I didn't have a normal neckplate to try, only the Backbone, so I couldn't give you any comparison difference. I did have the guitar strung up and pickup wired direct to the output jack for testing. Lots of output. But even unplugged the guitar was loud and had good sustain. This is the fundamental idea behind Travis beans, although a modded version of it, biggest difference is that the pickups and bridge aren't mounted directly to the aluminum neck through the body. I think the Backbone was worth it only to maximize the benefits of having an aluminum neck, transferring extra vibrations. And yes, the strings go through the backplate. My build had a Mastery bridge that would allow strings to go through the body or to the Bigsby, whatever I choose. Never got around to installing the Bigsby though.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects