Nuts

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Nuts

Postby the_carl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 pm

The nut on my MIM strat is kinda fucked up and one end is chipped and things buzz unless I use really thick strings. If I get a new nut does it actually matter what it's made out of? Do I need graphtech super synthetic marketspeak whatever or is plastic chinese stuff fine or do I want bone or what? Are brass nuts cool? If I get something pre-slotted will it be easy enough to sand for height and put it in myself or should I go to my local shop that wants $80-90 for nut + setup?
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Nuts

Postby Muff_Diver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Materials do affect sound, how much is really up to the listener, but there are plenty of google-able comparisons.

I would say get it done by a pro. Its a pretty crucial element to your instrument and wont require further attention afterwards, unless you decide to dramatically change your string gauge.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:25 pm

^That's probably good advice.

I know I'd likely screw up a nut replacement. :D If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, go ahead. I'd rather spend the money and have it done by a professional. :thumb: I'd also probably go with synthetic bone(r). :lol: (seriously)

Or you could just use heavier strings? :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 pm

Anything other than water buffalo horn is a good choice.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Those graph tech nuts are like 10 bucks with shipping off amazon, they work very well and are pre-slotted. I've put some on guitars where they didn't need any nut slot filing.

It's hard to fuck up a nut if you just watch some youtube vids and have some sandpaper. I can understand techs getting 100-125 for a fret dress and file, 80-100 for a nut installation is something that's always seemed bonkers to me. Legit nut files can be a bit pricey, there are some bootleg options though for very cheap like putting a piece of automotive sandpaper around a feeler gauge, cheap jewelers files, welding gun cleaning sticks. I'm sure the Stew Mac files are just repurposed files from something or other and then a 1000% increase in price as usual with a lot of stuff they do....haven't found them as stock files anywhere though.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sears » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

sears

committed
committed

Postby Boxbie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 pm

repoman wrote: It's hard to fuck up a nut if you just watch some youtube vids and have some sandpaper. I can understand techs getting 100-125 for a fret dress and file, 80-100 for a nut installation is something that's always seemed bonkers to me.

Pre-slotted plastic nuts sure. But carving a nut from an un-slotted bone blank is a super fiddly time consuming affair with the correct tools, and def worth the money.
Boxbie

experienced
experienced

Postby OldGeorge » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 pm

I've played with brass, nylon, and bone nuts (hehe :omg: ) and I would say I like the brass for it's brightness and the hair extra sustain. I have bone on my sg now and will probably switch back to brass within the year. As far as what's good... with the correct filing and fitting just about anything stewmac would offer is of decent quality and meterial is a matter of preference. That's just me though

As for putting them on and filing, I always have my homie do it. He's a god with a file
OldGeorge

committed
committed

Postby sears » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

I have a graphite nut on a 70s p-bass and it sounds rad. Then there's the Danelectro sound with wood bridge and metal nut. I don't get why the nut has to be bone.
sears

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:48 pm

It is because acoustic guitars.
Most nut material differences make a difference on a acoustic instrument, but on a electric? No. Sorry. It does not really translate the same, I am not saying that there might be a audible, noticible mojos,but....

I have electric basses and guitars with metal, bone, plastics, horn and wood and the difference it all makes is not enough to really be even worth bothering with. The important part is it has to be a hard material so the string is not dampened.

My preferences: I think on a fretless instrument the nut should be the same as the fingerboard so the difference in the harmonic overtones between a fingered note and an open one is not a huge difference. Same reason I like zero frets and metal nuts (or really hard plastic) the harmonic overtones of a fretted string will be more similar to the open giving you a more even response.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Return to Guitar and Bass