Rickenbacker Colorado VI

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Rickenbacker Colorado VI

Postby BoatRich » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am

I'm thinking this might be my next project. Walnut body, bolt on with hopefully an aluminum neck I should be getting built around tax return season. Has anyone used the toaster pickups Rick uses in lower tunings? I was thinking of trying firebird pickups or P90's I just really like the body shape.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Rickenbacker Colorado VI

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

Confused by this.
Would you be getting a body made that is the shape of the colorado? Or somehow turning an existing colorado, with neck thru design into a bolt on guitar? The former would make far more sense.

Also, where you gettin this aluminum neck made?!?!

Sounds cool. Love that shape, as well.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 am

There's a dude I saw posted on a Facebook group that does aluminum bolt on necks! I'd either be building a neck through one sized up to 30" scale, or translating the design into a bolt on to do the aluminum neck thing. I have no clue where I'd buy a body for this tbh, but I have access to a wood shop and a really good luthier as a coworker so we'll be doing the build together.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 pm

You must share this bolt on neck dude.
Must.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Obulus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:You must share this bolt on neck dude.
Must.
Obulus

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm 90% sure it's like Innovative guitars out of Utah, but I can't find the email on my phone. I'll check deeper when I get home tonight
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun May 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Any luck on this?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

There's Robot Graves Industries: https://www.facebook.com/robotgravesindustries/

Alternative to EGC, he's kind of just starting it all up (I think last post mentioning it, he was finishing up neck 004), but he's talked of starting up a regular production line of sorts.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Subbing to this :snax:
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue May 16, 2017 8:45 am

I actually placed an order for an aluminum neck with innovative guitars the day after learning about them in this thread (only to have EGC offer their bolt ons less than a week after I made my down payment).

Regardless, Wayne (innovative guitars) said he hopes to finish up my neck by the end of this week. It was cool to be able to choose nut width and fret size (couldnt choose radius), and also have something with a fender-style headstock. He doesnt use a cnc machine, so the bulk of the work is done by hand.

The guitar its intended for (jazzmaster) probably wont be done for another month, so Im very tempted to put the neck on my strat in the meantime.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

antennafarm wrote:There's Robot Graves Industries: https://www.facebook.com/robotgravesindustries/

Alternative to EGC, he's kind of just starting it all up (I think last post mentioning it, he was finishing up neck 004), but he's talked of starting up a regular production line of sorts.

He charged $100 less than EGC on his most recent run, and if he keeps the same price point and offers different scale lengths, it'd be pretty great. From what I've seen of Innovative Guitars stuff is that his necks are pretty much rectangular and look a bit off.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Olin wrote:He charged $100 less than EGC on his most recent run, and if he keeps the same price point and offers different scale lengths, it'd be pretty great. From what I've seen of Innovative Guitars stuff is that his necks are pretty much rectangular and look a bit off.

Aren't all guitar necks rectangular?
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby antennafarm » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 am

Muff_Diver wrote:
Olin wrote:He charged $100 less than EGC on his most recent run, and if he keeps the same price point and offers different scale lengths, it'd be pretty great. From what I've seen of Innovative Guitars stuff is that his necks are pretty much rectangular and look a bit off.

Aren't all guitar necks rectangular?

aren't they generally slightly tapered? width at the heel vs width at the nut.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

antennafarm wrote:aren't they generally slightly tapered? width at the heel vs width at the nut.

Indeed, they are. But I'm certain that none of the bolt-on IG necks are rectangular in that respect; it has to be wide enough at the heel to fit a fender neck pocket and narrow enough at the nut to be 1.62" (personal request). Not to say one couldn't order one to be truly rectangular, but it certainly isn't the norm.

I think his main focus is on lap steel guitars, which do have a more rectangular look, but by no means have similar dimensions to a guitar neck.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Sat May 27, 2017 8:23 am

Mm by rectangular I more meant in the profile, the corners seem to be almost 90 degrees and the back profile completely flat.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects