Let's talk baritones.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's talk baritones.

Postby gnomethrone » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 pm

If you like danos you could try one their baritones. Build quality isn't always the best but they have that distinctive sound that's worth it. For twang / doom / clanging I'd say get a baritone tele. I put one together that nails that kinda thing. It's is a fender modern player plus telecaster body with a dc kunkle neck on it. Cost was about $350 all together which was cheaper than any production guitars i was looking at buying. It has a splittable hot humbucker at the bridge, middle strat pickup & tele nick pickup. I use the bridge split for clean twang stuff, the bridge split + middle for hum canceled overdriven stuff and the bridge in full humbucking for fuzzed out doom. Couldn't be more stoked on it.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 am

Bari teles is a good way to go!
Unfortunately there is no good baritone teles in production, at least not for cheap.
But a DC Kunkle neck on a semi-cheap tele will get you there.

The Eastwood is OK, but could need new pickups. The stock are a little dull.

Is the Squier Bari Jazzmaster still in production? That one could also work for twang and doom. But I've never tried one.

Another option could be a Squier Bass VI with baritone strings.
Mine was tuned to B when I got mine, and it played and sounded quite cool. :)
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 pm

I got a chance to go by a couple of chain stores and try some baritones, although the pickings were as slim as you'd expect.

First was the Ibanez black one with the EMGs. I hated the way it sounded. Definitely not my thing. The EMGs sounded weird clean and like they wanted to play Metallica dirty.

Then I went across the street and tried a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Baritone. That one was very enticing. More bass-like than I expected, but in a good way. If definitely have to play it a little differently from how I anticipated.

But it's so giant and so simple, it's like playing a cross between a P-bass and a Telecaster, and the hideous Antigua finish is a big plus.

I'm pondering it.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:09 pm

I ended up getting this Yamaha AES 820 because the price was very right. I was having trouble finding anything used or discounted. I would have preferred a more bass-like and single-coilish baritone (this one has a 26.5 scale length), but this one has splittable DiMarzios, weird locking tuners and an input jack on the back! It should have some pretty cool sounds, although I haven't been able to plug it in yet.
Attachments
IMG_20160901_190155.jpg
maggot

committed
committed

Postby gnomethrone » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Cool, haven't seen one of those before. The knobs and tailpiece look rad. What are you tuning it to?
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm tuning to B or C. It's pretty short for a Baritone (a little over 26"), so it's not gonna want to go super low, except for detuned sludge. The coolest thing is how the tuners angle toward the center of the headstock. And the fact that the input jack is on the back. It definitely plays a lot like a regular guitar. If I find myself crazed for Bari, I may eventually switch to a 30" like a Baritone Jazzmaster or a Schecter Hellcat.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby Tritone » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 pm

I have a baritone in the mail. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. I don't really like how it looks, but it was on sale. Will post pics on Wednesday or Thursday!
Tritone

involved
involved

Postby Tritone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 pm

Got it today. It sounds YUUUUUUGE. The fretwork, finish and action are as good as any of my American-made guitars. Great value. I'm not a fan of flamed maple, really, but I don't hate it on this guitar. I might swap out the pots and pickups at a later date.

Last edited by Tritone on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tritone

involved
involved

Postby maggot » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:24 pm

I played one of the solid PRS SEs and I thought it was pretty nice. That thing looks awesome.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby Stinkbug » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:38 am

To those of you who play baritones in bands; what tuning does your bassist use? Do they use BEAD?
Gatorpunch.bandcamp.com
Stinkbug

involved
involved

Postby ognoy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 am

Depends on the band.
In my rock band the bass player tunes standard E, in the doom band drop B(the two other guitar players also tunes drop B, I did too, until I started using baritones.
And in my postrock/free impro band I play the baritone and the bass player use a Bass VI(going to both bass and guitar amp).
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby CyaNitrate » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:58 pm

ognoy wrote:Bari teles is a good way to go!
Unfortunately there is no good baritone teles in production, at least not for cheap.
But a DC Kunkle neck on a semi-cheap tele will get you there.

I got a DC Kunkle neck from ThurberMingus as a part of my Secret Santa this year :yay:
Found a cheap Squier Affinity Tele that had the bridge swapped to a nicer (probably MIM) one and slaped it together. Tuned it to A#..it dooms. It dooms real good.
20161213_143417.jpg
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

experienced
experienced

Postby fcknoise » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:29 pm

That is fecking awesome. Looks killer, and I want
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Also, I was looking around for a coversion neck that works with my Squier vm jag but I can't seem to find any, which is a shame. Does anyone of you know where I should look?
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CyaNitrate » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:02 pm

I dunno if they exist...they all seem to be for 25.5 inch scale, instead of 24..but I could be wrong. I suppose you could contact Warmoth to see if they could build you one.
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass