The "I did this to my house" Thread.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The "I did this to my house" Thread.

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:07 am

Invisible Man wrote:
lord galvar wrote:Now, on the other hand, my house looks like Cost Plus World Market catalog (but I get to pick up beer when my wife goes to get curtains or whatever so it's cool).

Haha same here. Just accidentally flipped my house in a year...got a new job nine months after I bought this one, and the commute is too far. I changed every single inch of this place-- every bit of flooring, paint, ceiling, every fixture, outlet and knob. Now someone needs to buy it ASAP so my wife can go nuts at Cost Plus for the new place.

Quick like! 9 months is a good turnaround. My wife has to commute like 1 hour each way now...but we will never sell (as far as I can tell). I just commute to the garage or to ILF or wherever I want to walk.

Nice work Colin!

I guess update? Kitchen is almost done finally. Copper countertops, Sapele cabinets, encaustic concrete floors (a whole PITA on its own...the sealer we got sold (BEST BY ALL MEASURES) doesn't seal...so I had to fix that...white concrete....same with the saltillo....wax is the true path), and terra cotta herring bone 2x8 tiles. Pictures someday.

Ceiling collapsed in the guest bedroom and I patched that and just redid that whole room (80 year old plaster). Other projects: patched the roof, finished the complete sewer repipe (last bit failed...80 year old cast iron....whole house has been repiped on DWV and water though now), moved the water heater and built it a tower (like 3'x3' and 15' tall...looks cool, needs third layer of stucco), tons of other stuff that isn't worth mentioning (failed experiments), and built a fence and gate (I don't remember when I did that, but my dog learned to climb chain link so that was important)....

Mostly been trying to keep the plants alive in the drought...should just give up.

Next, after the kitchen, I've got another ceiling to drywall (I hate drywall), saltillo the rest of the house, finish the back bedroom, bookshelves, misc. wiring, build the patio, build an isolation chamber over the backyard to block out neighbors, add a backdoor, fix the damage from the break-in, and finally re-landscape the front yard (weekend project...mostly tweaks).

(this list is partially to motivate me to move faster, haha)

I need to rent dumpster part 11*: YARD WASTE (screw that bougainvillea and honeysuckle).

*long story, but the house wasn't empty when we moved in....and everything was kinda rotting...I found years old sausage under the range (farmer john doesn't decay), stuff like that. I ain't wasting, just when you cart out a closet of syringes, local trash aint the best place (plus, I've near gotten in a fist fight over my trash cans with a-holes which I wont ramble on about because I have rambled enough).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:12 am

I like your rambling.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:49 am

Invisible Man wrote:I like your rambling.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:20 pm

So, I will be able to participate in this thread in the coming months/years as we're looking at a change in venue by year's end.

First up will be converting this dilapidated old horse "barn" into my shop space, and for a while the music room:

I can just feel the fun right around the bend.

Tearing it down and starting from new is simply not feasible at this point.

So roughing it MacGyver style is my only option. Expect laughable hillbilly engineering in the coming months, I just need to literally shovel some shit first.

I'm pretty sure there's electrical beneath the spider palace here. Wish me luck! hahaha
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hbombgraphics » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 pm

good luck!

looks like a fun project,

can't wait to see how it turns out
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:09 pm

The new patio is complete! Well, it still need a bit of touch-up paint, but nothing major. Most of the credit for this goes to my father-in-law, as I have neither the tools nor the skills to pull something like this off on my own.

colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sylnau » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:28 pm

That's a nice looking place Colin. :thumb:

My last project was a coffee table for my living room.

IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG (90.29 KiB) Viewed 4521 times

IMG_7812.JPG
IMG_7812.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Last edited by sylnau on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm

:)* Are you gonna let some vines grow on that trellis, Colin?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby sylnau » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm

And the result:

IMG_7889.JPG
IMG_7889.JPG (92.97 KiB) Viewed 4521 times

IMG_7927.JPG
IMG_7927.JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby colin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks Syl, that table looks great! I need to learn some more woodworking skills one of these years.

The plan is definitely for some vines on the lattice chankgeez. It's hard to see in that photo, but there's a climbing rose behind the big panel already. I think the plan for next spring is to plant some clematis on the other trellis panels, maybe some more roses too.
colin

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lost in music » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am

crochambeau wrote:Expect laughable hillbilly engineering in the coming months,

We bought our house as a fixer-upper. It had been owned and completely maintained for 40 years by an old hillbilly, who ignored all sorts of basic construction tenets, building codes, and as best I can tell, the laws of euclidean geometry. We thought "this will be a great opportunity! We can convert this place into such a cozy home!" But after the money ran out, we found we still had an uphill battle on our hands to even make the place livable. Unable to pay contractors on a regular basis, we've had to adopt many of the same solutions that we had mocked the previous owner for employing. I'm hitching my wagon to the "laughable hillbilly engineering" train.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby aedes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Digging this thread. I'll throw some of my projects up here...

We redid the bonus room this winter. This is what it looked like when we bought the place...

This is what it looks like now (sort of--the window and seat is finished now). Put it some built-in shelves, put in hardwood floors, took out the closet and made that a place for the pinball machine and video game console. :!!!:

aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Just necro-bumping this as I'm moving into my new house next month and plan on doing a butt load of crap to it, including:

1. Change all the floor boards in the whole house, and add heating foil.
2. Put up two walls, one with internal sliding door, plus swap out a few other doors.
3. Swap the skirtings (?)
4. Paint all rooms, walls, windows and ceilings.
5. Refurbish the fireplace to look less 80s.
6. Make box stairs instead of open stairs.
7. Disassemble the kitchen and repaint it or install new kitchen (if we can afford it).

It's going to be exciting and exhausting! Before and after pics? Oh yeaaaaah!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:31 am

Following up on the necro-bump cause I want updates.... from everyone.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Here's my tiny workshop, just moved all of my crap into our new rental house. Not really happy with the placement of everything, but I'll find something that works. I'd like to make a workbench but there's just no room in this house.
I share a work space with a washer, dryer, and a turtle :lol:

The smaller cabinet is filled with auto-related tools, the bigger one is more general stuff and the machinist's chest is woodworking stuffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion