· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Prison Does Not Seem Great (Educational but probs NSFW...)

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:05 am

Everyone is virtual anyway... an you're on an archaic bbcode forum dedicated to pedals... and I did mark this NSFW anyway, so if you have a problem... keep it to yourself. :joy: :omg: :!!!: :animal:

All the embedded links are in NSFW so the page loads faster. Please reciprocate this if you post anything. This site is barely hanging on as it is with loading quickly. IT'S TIME TO GET THIS RIGHT!

My new thing (that's sort of been a thing for a while since I started watching OZ when I was 11) is watching prison youtube channels. I've learned quite a lot. I hope to literally never have to use this knowledge. Pay every parking ticket, don't go to prison.

I figured I would share some of my favorite Ex-prisoner youtube channels. If anyone else is into this, please post. This is not a "ranked" ordering.

1. Larry Lawton - People are spot on when they say Larry is like your crazy Uncle with good stories. I love his thumbnails (for videos, I don't think I've seen his actual "thumbnails") because... there is almost a "giddiness" to when he talks about his prison stories. His facial expressions are not unlike Whoopie Goldberg sometimes.
NSFW: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdg72JJxrsA
2. FRESH OUT! (Big Herc 916) - He's a true OG on this subject. One of the first to start a YouTube channel on prison life. I'm posting one of his earlier videos... he has come a LONG WAY though. Old videos were just him ranting. Newer ones are full blown productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-TkNcWi_8
3. Wes Watson - Very intense and motivational dude. BRING YOUR PAPER WORK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmkPsnA04jk

There are more, but those are my main three. Jessica Kent is also excellent. Her channel only "seems" like it became more prison oriented. I remember when I first found her it was more of a drug rehabilitation channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2HAcskzHs

If anyone wants a real downer, watch the BBC documentary on the New Mexico prison riot. Not great.

Also, if you're depressed already, check out the documentary HOBO and you won't feel better. Nothing to do with prison. Just a cool movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0ii9W224A

Re: Prison Does Not Seem Great (Educational but probs NSFW..

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 am

I went to prison twice - for work - to see clients - and this is a minimum security CANADIAN prison and it was still one of the most intense experiences of my whole life. Just like the shows, white guys on one side of the yard, black guys on the other and everyone just staring at each other. And of course some guy in the isolation room going berserk.

I’ve been in multiple max security mental health forensic hospitals and those were a walk in the park compared to an actual jail.

0/100 would not recommend. Also I support the release of all non violent offenders and anyone in jail on bullshit possession charges. The shittiest thing ever is weed is now legal in Canada and there’s people in jail over an ounce of pot.

Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:20 am

That's heavy Retinal.

I'm glad Sweden is a country where prison is seen less as retribution and more as a time out and rehab. Of course it doesn't work that way, but at least on paper it is less shit.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:28 pm

I don't like it when people yell at me, so it's probably not my kind of place.

Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 am

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:13 am

I've never been incarcerated, but a significant proportion of my family have been, mostly on drug charges and fraud, and - while I don't really talk much with them - they also do not recommend.

But, more to the point, my dad has worked almost exclusively in state-run prisons for the past 40 years as a handyman. He has a lot of stories, some of which include him avoiding injury or worse through sheer luck. Mostly, he seems to really like hanging out with inmates, and teaching them how to fix stuff. The prison he works at now (once the largest walled prison in the world) is locally known as 'Little Iraq,' though he says he is lucky to no longer work with the 'father rapers - the worst kind of guys.' This man...has stories. He's chased down escaped inmates, crawled through sewage drains a la Andy Dufresne, fought off psychotic and violent men, stolen PA systems from work (PA systems that I used in early bands, and at my wedding). 'You haven't lived until you've scrambled across a decaying, four-story turret rooftop with a murderer,' as he is fond of saying.

He used to work at Northville Psychiatric, which, while not a prison, was a state-run long term home for high-risk people with severe mental health issues. Sam Raimi used to shoot early horror scenes there because it was fucking terrifying. Needless to say, dad would sneak my brother and I onto the grounds after regular hours (he had all the keys, of course), and tour us through the steam tunnels. IT FOLLOWS was partially shot there, too.

All of my drawings and homework from 1994-1997 were done on liberated 'Northville Psychiatric' letterhead.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2018/07/the_haunting_insides_of_the_ab.html

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Invisible Man wrote:I've never been incarcerated, but a significant proportion of my family have been, mostly on drug charges and fraud, and - while I don't really talk much with them - they also do not recommend.

But, more to the point, my dad has worked almost exclusively in state-run prisons for the past 40 years as a handyman. He has a lot of stories, some of which include him avoiding injury or worse through sheer luck. Mostly, he seems to really like hanging out with inmates, and teaching them how to fix stuff. The prison he works at now (once the largest walled prison in the world) is locally known as 'Little Iraq,' though he says he is lucky to no longer work with the 'father rapers - the worst kind of guys.' This man...has stories. He's chased down escaped inmates, crawled through sewage drains a la Andy Dufresne, fought off psychotic and violent men, stolen PA systems from work (PA systems that I used in early bands, and at my wedding). 'You haven't lived until you've scrambled across a decaying, four-story turret rooftop with a murderer,' as he is fond of saying.

He used to work at Northville Psychiatric, which, while not a prison, was a state-run long term home for high-risk people with severe mental health issues. Sam Raimi used to shoot early horror scenes there because it was fucking terrifying. Needless to say, dad would sneak my brother and I onto the grounds after regular hours (he had all the keys, of course), and tour us through the steam tunnels. IT FOLLOWS was partially shot there, too.

All of my drawings and homework from 1994-1997 were done on liberated 'Northville Psychiatric' letterhead.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2018/07/the_haunting_insides_of_the_ab.html

Super cool.
This was kind of interesting: "In 2009, Township residents voted to acquire the property for around $23.5 million."

....Why? Some kind of scam?

Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:35 pm

That’s wild, Invisible Man.

I’ve worked in outpatient/community mental health for 15 years and I’ve seen every inpatient facility in the city but that’s a lot different than mental health and justice high security facilities (in Canada it’s called “the forensic system” for some goofy reason).

I worked right below an inpatient unit for 10 years of this (including when the shower would flood and several times ruined my office). I’m very happy to be on the community side (aka the outside) where the goal is working to keep clients OUT of hospital and in their homes.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:16 pm

The past couple years my sister has been manager of a prison’s medium security construction program where they would build furniture for stat buildings and stuff (currently they are making masks and face shields for COVID) she does a lot of leadership and tolerance training with the prisoners. And all her issues seem to be about coworkers being shit the the prisoners… she has said more than once “what does it say when the rapists and murderers are nicer people than your coworkers”…

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 pm

I watched quite a lot of APS (After prison show) and enjoyed the comedic aspect and the way Joe explained things in general.

How they made tattoo machines out of old discman motors and shit.

Then the Danny drama happened, Dave went back inside, and I didn't find it so funny anymore. I wish Joe would've just left Danny the fuck alone instead of always trying to get "his side of the story" when it was obvious the guy just needed some fucking space. Joe came across kind of like an exploitative jackass after that but a guy needs the views so I get it.

Still an interesting subject and I watch some Lawton every now and then, but there is a lot of heavy shit in there obviously.
Post a reply