How do "you" write "your" music?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: How do "you" write "your" music?

Postby Paul_C » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 pm

My Sonic Koalas stuff is a mixture of approaches, but there certain things I do a lot.

The main source of material is recorded onto a little recorder sitting in front of my amp.

This is mostly made using guitar, drum machine or Tenori On being played through various pedals, depending on what I have at the time.

Having moved the raw wav file to my PC I upload it to Audacity.

Then I'll take bits out, swap them about, split tracks and move them out of sync, reverse them, slow them down etc. and add other things like drum tracks or other samples (sometimes chopping them about too).

Once I've got something I like I export it as an MP3, find a picture from Google Images and put the two together using Windows Movie Maker, before uploading the result to YpuTube.

Sometimes this can take a few hours, sometimes I can do the whole thing in an hour !

Rather than worry too much whether it's "good" or "bad" or somewhere in between I just upload it all :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: How do you write music?

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 am

Blackened Soul wrote:There is no right way. And no surefire way to instruct someone to create... anything... you could take songwriting classes your whole life and get nothing if you don't have it inside of you in the end..

How do I meaning me write? different ways. Some things take me a lot of time to write and arrange and rearrange... that seem to go on for years.. other times I hit record and something comes out of nowhere and I find myself asking how did I even play that? What matters is do you like what you are doing? Do you like your music?

Expanding on more:
One thing I do particularly with my Ice bear project a lot is a massive change between the speed of when it is written than when it is recorded: most Ice Bear songs are more close to a raga in structure than a "song" which I am not going to go into.. just do some reading on basic Indian classical music theory.. but when writing the tonal framework I play it all very fast until I feel the thing makes sense then when I record I tend to play it as a 1/4 of the speed or more which takes extreme restraint to not noodle and fuck around as the spacing between the notes are just as important as the notes, so usually what makes me stop and do another take is note a actual mistake in playing but when I overplay and fuck up the mood and the environment I am trying to convey :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 am

That's interesting. I like slow music but I'm bad at playing slow music without noodling. I like the idea of writing fast then playing slow
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dapper Bandit » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 am

I've probably got a few different tactics when it comes to writing.

Improvised looping is a current favourite of mine. Borrowing the concept of overlapping loops of differing lengths from Eno / Reich and playing around with what comes out. Most of the time it's not great but it's good fun most of the time.

Sometimes I'll try to jam to a picture and see what comes out and try and build a song around that. Used to participate in a monthly 'contest' that revolved around that idea and it was quite instructive.

Sometimes I'll just be messing around and I'll stumble onto a riff or melody and I try to build off of that. I struggle with formal songwriting so this has been an extremely lengthy process but I think I'm slowly piecing stuff together. I use Guitar Pro to transcribe stuff in so I can try and flesh out ideas a bit more quickly without having to change instruments all the time.

The looping is probably the most consistently rewarding method I use as I find songwriting to be a real grind. That said, the stuff that is song-y will benefit from that process so it will hopefully pay off when it's done, it's just the getting there that sucks.

Also, self-critique is the path to getting nothing done. With the songs I've been paralysed for years with self doubt and unhelpful comparisons to bands that I hold in high regard. "That's a shitty Voivod riff, scrap it. In fact, forget the whole song. If you can't release the greatest shit ever, don't bother." And I'm still trying to push through that because if I release nothing then nobody will like it. If I release something then someone may like it so what's to lose? Be aware of what you can improve but eventually you will bump into the limits of your vision and that's OK because it's your vision. Art is subjective and a lot of our favourite artists are our favourite not because they're the best in their field but because we love their version of it.

Tool write all their songs in D and nobody seems to care. If one key is good enough for them, why can't be it good enough for somebody else?
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:32 am

Yep if you're too worried about how good everything is you'll never do anything and never get better. Free yourself to do things that are maybe no great for the experience and maybe they are great. Don't listen to that internal critic. Sometimes that internal critic is right but I like to leave that to after I've recorded/written whatever it is I'm doing as you never know what's going to come out of any idea when you set out on the process

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_C » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

I've just done this one as an example, using just over a minute of recording made last night using the Tenori On.

Track 1 is as recorded, copied and pasted so there is the original bit plus three repeats.

Track 2 is slowed down 50% so it's twice as long, with one copy/paste to make it the same length as Track 1 - it's also an octave lower.

Track 3 is Track 2 slowed down 50%, so twice as long (and four times as long as Track 1)

They all end up the same length, with a fade in and fade out to remove clicks when the track cuts off, Tracks 2 and 3 a little louder as Track 1 cuts through easier and a touch of EQ (cutting off the highs to remove a little bit of hiss).

Took me about 30 mins to make :)

(as I've said before, sometimes it can take hours and I end up deleting it because it's dreadful, but now and again I get lucky)

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:00 am

like i've finished anything other than loops since the 1990s? LOL. seriously though, it's almost always starting with a set of changes improvised on guitar--sometimes a whole sequence, sometimes a couple of chords--which then gets fleshed out with lyrics. occasionally i get the whole thing in one fell 20-minute swoop, but that's quite rare. i've tried writing on keys, but it hasn't really worked.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Errant Tiger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:29 am

It usually starts with me playing something through amps OVER AND OVER FOR HOURS. Then there are various ways to completion/abandonment, but I always get a recording either on my voice memos or on a video I post to Instagram - not just for the traffic, but also because it's easier to keep track of pedal settings than any other way I can think of. At some point I will down and try to work out other sections - or, if no other sections are forthcoming, seeing what I can layer on top of what I've got, whether it's atmospheric shit or solo wankery. Eventually I get it into Garageband and this process continues.

That's what happens these days for more structural (i.e., song-like) things. But I've been trying to become more adept at looping and improvising, so I've been working with two newish approaches:

1. Tuning in to myself and finding a feeling or an idea, then just letting everything happen and recording it straight to voice memos, then eventually some kinda minor cleaning up in Garageband;

2. Making a bunch of noise for a bit (whether it's noise noise or melodic noise) and then grabbing an almost random loop to play with and improvise from. This might go on to suffer a similar process as in my first paragraph, but then again, maybe it won't.

ALTERNATELY, if I'm doing acoustic stuff, I just sit down with the acoustic and wank for awhile until I either forget what I started playing or get sick of it. I use alternate tunings a fair amount as well.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

I make music exclusively through divine intervention.

Either I'll sit with my guitar, play around, and suddenly something clicks out of nowhere—or, I'm just doing whatever, and something pops into my head. Whichever of those happens, I then try to play something on guitar that fits, and it just magically appears out of nowhere, and everything sounds good. Then, when I have all the parts, I'll put them together in my head. Usually the time from when some idea pops up, to when I have the basic song structure (and a general idea of which effects I want, what kind of drums I want, &c.) ready in my head, is shorter than the actual song. Then I'll keep playing it to myself acoustically and through my pedalboard & amp, and make these little micro-adjustments for weeks, whilst waiting for an opportune moment to start rehearsing the song with my band. In those weeks, the chords/strumming/picking/&c. typically get a lot more intricate, but it's always the same basic structure.

So what this all means is basically that I make songs in five minutes, improve them and make them more interesting for a few weeks (without ever straying too far from the original vision), and then the song's ready for the set list. The caveats are these: 1. Our band doesn't ever "finish" a song, so there's always some degree of improvisation. (Sometimes entire sections in the song are improvised.) 2. I make music quite quickly, but also rather rarely.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:46 am

I don't have a unique method for writing, it really depends if i want to write something for the band or something acoustic, or something like loops, drones and noises etc etc..
Usually i have imagined a riff and i try to transpose it on guitar the best i can, otherwise i am randomly playing with the guitar and something cool comes up and i follow the wave. Same thing happens with sounds, either i have a specific idea and i try to recreate it with effects, or i come up with a cool sound and i try to write something on it.

I record riffs and progressions on the phone (mostly with videos so i remember insantly how i played something, in fact my phone memory is always full :facepalm:), then i forget about them and find those out weeks later and, if i really like them i start to write something more. If it's a matter of finding a "sound" i usually take a pic of the pedalboard and then write a few notes about settings.

Sometimes i can write a full song in a single session, if i'm inspired enough i visualize naturally what could come next a certain idea, but it's more usual to me to do a ton of patchwork with riffs i wrote even months away one from another. I like to play lots with different time signatures/tempos, so rhythm and patterns are my main reference points, i often start to write around a rhythmic idea and then i find the correct chords and notes in a second moment.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby More_Divebombs » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:13 pm

I barely make any guitar based music anymore. It's all electronic of varying styles, pretty much. It all starts with an idea for a beat or rhythm. There's not really a 'writing' process, like there would be when I'd sit with a guitar for ages and make things piece together. Now I'm programming percussion, it all starts there. I make beats that I like and find interesting in their own right. Make them a bit glitchy and stupid. Then I flesh it out with bass rhythms, noise, drones, with a minimal approach to melody. Then I go back to the beat and give it a bit of attack with clicks and pops to cut through the noise I've just added. No vocals 99% of the time.

Once it's done, it's done. I don't slave over mixing and mastering, and I only revisit a track if I've made a glaring error in the mix. I'm not a perfectionist in that respect. My music is purposely ugly, sometimes unintended distortion or compression due to bad mixing leads to happy accidents. Or so I think anyway.

I don't really promote it much either, other than an occasional post on here. It's just there, on bandcamp, and 'distrokid' sends it to all the streaming platforms. It's interesting how people still find it and listen to it without the promotion. I don't really know how that is happening. On the other hand, if nobody listened to it, I wouldn't really mind. Making and releasing music electronically is somewhat therapeutic to me, like writing a diary or something.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby K2000 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 am

I started trying to write music kind of late in life, which was dumb. A friend of mine told me that artists don't go into their studio and *practice mixing colors* (etc) and then go home - they're there to make something, not just sharpen pencils (work on scales or whatever). I've spent too much time just trying to get basic skills down. But songwriting is a skill too, and I wasn't practicing that. So that was a mistake. The person who told me not to just practice mixing colors, he will try to write a song at every session. His music is pretty simple twee pop/punk, so that wouldn't work for everybody. But I think the basic concept is good (attempt writing at every session).

I never found a process that I really liked - recording ideas to cassette for example, and developing bigger song ideas from little recorded snippets, that never worked for me. Later, I was trying to play 100% improvised music and hoping that there would be good material in there... sometimes it worked, but I didn't have the patience to wade through hours of recordings, looking for 'good stuff'. It was far from ideal. Then I tried just recording things directly into the computer, and it seemed very sterile. It didn't sound right, and it wasn't fun.

Lately I realized, just combine any approach you feel like. Use all the tools and techniques simultaneously, more or less. Like Bruce Lee and martial arts, blend multiple approaches. So now I might record improvisation in my space, then import that into the computer and find specific parts to extract, and make into a loop. Or record directly into the computer, make an edit of a particular moment, export that onto a Ditto looper, and run that through a bunch of pedals, or take it back to the practice space and 're-amp' it through my amps and pedals there. Or find recordings online (field recordings, sound effects etc) and process those. And combine all these different approaches together as needed. Disclaimer - I don't write tunes with lyrics and verse/chorus (I wish I could!!!) my music is more like 'sound design' now. This approach was more or less something I learned in art school ("generative systems")... You take a photograph, then you manipulate it in the darkroom when printing, then you draw on the print, then you make that into a collage, then you make the collage into an etching (etc). It's very process oriented, and you combine different media and techniques, and the work develops over time, and you end up with something that would have been impossible to make using only one set of techniques or media.

One thing that's helpful for me - a lot of times I need to put the instrument down when brainstorming. If I'm trying to channel creativity only through playing the guitar (I'm terrible) or bass (I'm not bad), it's all going to be filtered through the sieve of "I know how to play the bass in this specific way" whereas if I try to brainstorm ideas without holding an instrument in my hands, I don't feel limited by the parameters of "this is what I already know how to do". It can be a lot more free if I'm doing some of this work purely through imagination, and not limited by my current skills.

I really enjoy learning about other people's processes!

Re: lifting inspiration and ideas from other people - it's totally legitimate. Think of it as a conversation between creative forces. It's common in the art world, where somebody might make a painting and then another artist responds to that with their own work. In music, it's been said that "good pop borrows... great pop steals" (if there's anything pop in your music). We are all building on the music that has already come before us.

One idea I'm intrigued with, but not talented enough to pull it off yet - using great songs as a structural template for my own shiz. Like verse/chorus/bridge etc but then grafting my own sounds onto the template, as a way to make more interesting arrangements. Particular songs are VERY intriguing, for example "Love Child" by the Supremes (if I recall correctly, it starts with the bridge section...!) Lots of Motown hits have amazing arrangements that I wish I could channel, for my own music.

Husker Du wrote over 200 songs! That's so inspiring. I try to remember that writing is a skill and with practice, it will get better. Ideas and creativity are truly unlimited, if you're open to that. It's not like ideas are scarce and "once i record these 5 songs, that's all I'm going to have". I don't believe that, at all. I hope none of you guys believe that either.

Oops, one more idea that I've heard... if you're trying to work out a part (lets say a bass line) try singing along with the parts you already have. Try using your voice to work out parts of an arrangement.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 am

The points about not having an instrument in your hands and singing are touching on a good subject of how to

Oblique Strategies are a classic and I think they're great. Not unlike what dos was saying about channeling feelings and ideas rather than starting with a "sound idea". Breaking your habits can be a very effective way of channeling creativity. It's why I write across multiple instruments and use different methods

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:30 am

Ok. So, I've moved onto another song (finally). I'm still stuck in the same chord progressions though. LOL!!! I don't fucking get it bros! It's like those first three or four frets are just calling my name and I keep playing them differently.

So, what's weird about what I'm writing musically is #1 I start with an opening that translates well into first verse, but then I get stuck on the main verse. The chorus section is the hardest part for me for some reason. I eventually get there, but last time I wrote a song, I had to sit down, write out lyrics and allow that to dictate where I went with the rest of it. That seems to work better for me.

The songs I'm writing a almost a continuous loop, meaning, I probably could loop the whole song but I like playing and singing. It's amazing. I love it. Now that I can do it with one full song all the way through, I feel super confident I can keep going. That has been one thing I've always wanted to do, is be able to play and sing at the same time. I accomplished it. However, my songs progress in lyrics but not always in melody or there aren't a lot of changes in the song. I could be playing a 6 minutes song. Shit, 1 of them was 15 fucking minutes. Does it need to be??? I don't know. That was what I was feeling at the time. Anyway, I find the way I'm playing and singing to be perfect for live content. It's easy, it's expressive and I get my points across. I've played in front of probably 20 different people at this point and they all liked my songs. That made me happy and feel like I'm onto to something.

I just want to change the next several songs up a bit. This next song is upbeat, faster tempo, faster singing, more aggressive but kind of blue's, kind of rock, kind of I dunno. The main riff could almost be surfish too.

3 songs so far. All sound different, yet all are similar in their patterns and progressions. Every song sounds different vocally as well. From swamp ash lows, to raspy aggressive highs and in between. I'm having fun guys. I just need to refine a bit.

I also need to record now. That's the final step because if I don't do it soon, I"ll move on too much and then I'll start to lose that flow. I can always recapture it, but I want it to be honest and sincere when I record. Does that make sense???

My biggest fucking hang up is not having a good way to isolate while recording. Maybe I don't care. I'm tired of polished bullshit. It's supposed to sound raw. That's why I use a semi hollow body for most of it. It's got that raw sound I love.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Raw is good! I totally understand the desire to get it out while it still means what it means now and is fresh. Go for it dude! Way better to have a raw take where your heart's in it than a polished one where it's not.

Looking forward to hearing this stuff!

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion