Would anyone watch/demos....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Would anyone watch/demos....

Postby Jwar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Hey all! So I have a demo idea and I thought it'd be nice to pursue it but I don't know how to tell if it is worth my efforts?

Here's the thing I see the most with other demos. There is either too much talking, not enough talking, they all seem to kind of emulate each other...etc. Obviously there are exceptions to what I'm saying there and there are a lot of really, really talented demoers out there (demoees? I don't know what you'd call that lol). Also, I will by no means be any better in playing styles other than my own, but I have an idea that offers something else I don't see for some reason. Unless I'm just blatantly blind. I don't want to outright say it because it is an idea and I want to pursue it and possibly use it as a platform for free things and love from internet peoples. lol. No but for real. I kind of want to keep to myself because of how blatantly simplistic the idea is.

So, I want to ask. Based on your knowledge of me, whether it's here, instagram, facebook...etc. Would you be a watcher if it was relevant to your interests? I'm basically asking if you all think I'd be good enough to do it.

I have everything I need to get started. I even went out and purchased a D Angelico DLX SS SP (I over paid too) and I absolutely LOVE it. I don't require a hollow body for what I'm doing but man, this thing sound so good and is easy for me to actually play on. Anyway, I have a ton of pedals. My plan is to review what I have. I thought about doing honest reviews. Telling it how I see it and not just pandering to making money for the sake of making money. You know what I mean? Honest demos. If a pedal kind of sucks, I'll say it. If it's fucking killer, I'll say it. Obviously this is always subjective and I was also acknowledge that. My other idea is to include some of my own person humor into it, but I don't know if anyone would want that?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. I appreciate input and I'm just looking for something to fill my time with so I'm not so damn depressed anymore. That's kind of really what this is about. On that note, don't sugar coat shit for me please. If you think I'd do a terrible job, I want to evaluate your opinion, most likely ignore it and then potential chastise you for giving it. :) Hahaha. No but seriously, I do want honest opinions. Please give them.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Re: Would anyone watch/demos....

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Of course, you should do it! :!!!:

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Ok. Well, let me ask you this. Is there anything specific that would draw you in? I do have an idea that I believe pertains to most players out there, but I also want input. What would keep you coming back so to speak? What do you not see from demos that you would enjoy seeing?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I probably fall into a very small corner of the demo watchin' world :idk:

I guess the best advice I can give is "know your audience", but first you have to build an audience.

If it sounds good, I'll listen to it. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm not probably the best to talk about good videos...but

Echoin' chankgeez
Know what you want to do. Do you want to actually sell products for people? Just share your thoughts on devices (more like a reviewer)? Plug in and see what happens? A log/diary of devices you've tried? Mix of things? Different each time?

My advice would be to ease into it and see where it takes you and what you like to do. Don't bend/cater to all the YouTube audiences out there. You'll never please them.

Get a good recording setup and learn to sync audio and video well.

Refrain from tagging and getting yourself into the YouTube "feed" for a while. Just do what you enjoy and people will find you. Once you find out where it's going and have some practice, get into those searches if it's what you want to do.

My only complaint about most guitar videos is that if there is an eq, they never dime the treble and cut the bass. And they only go for the good sounds haha. Sometimes you gotta give both ends of the spectrum (like volume differences when 1/2 the pedal is engaged and stuff like that).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frodog » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I think apart from just sounding good and realistic (for me that's a mic'd amp) I want to hear something approaching coherent music. Not necessarily a whole production where every instrument goes through the pedal, but playing that's not too disjointed and aimless with constant knob twiddling. Practicing and planning beforehand probably helps, though I guess you don't want to make it too scripted either. Don't like everything being over-explained.

With demos I just want to watch some musical infotainment with a pleasant host(s) that doesn't talk too much, playing something that's not blues and lets the pedal shine. I don't care about virtuosity just tune yr instrument and don't overplay. Oh, and I would only watch on youtube, I hate fakebook and don't like watching/listening to stuff on my phone.

Otherwise it adds an extra dimension if you can see the person of course, especially if you aim to entertain, though I want pedal/gear closeups as well. Amp settings, everything. Full immersion in Jwar world, or however much you feel comfortable sharing (which is a lot going by your posts :thumb: :hug: ). The demo scene is lame anyway just be yourself and fuck it, I'm sure it will be alright!
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pm

frodog wrote:just be yourself and fuck it, I'm sure it will be alright!

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm

I want watch this.

Make music, try all the settings, maybe use it with other gear but be clear when things are into a clean as clean can be amp and when they're not. Etc. Don't talk too much, nor too little

But yeah to start off I would watch it
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Be honest. I've worked with reviews for close to ten years now, and that is definitely the one thing that lets people relate to you. I know that is pretty self-explanatory, but I've seen many people trying to play roles and do personas, and they are mostly forgotten in a few months. Just be yourself, as others have already said.

Which is something you're good at. So go for it! :omg:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:50 am

Jwar wrote:Ok. Well, let me ask you this. Is there anything specific that would draw you in? I do have an idea that I believe pertains to most players out there, but I also want input. What would keep you coming back so to speak? What do you not see from demos that you would enjoy seeing?

For me ...experimentations with using pedals as intruments of sonic mayhem - instead of just playing guitar/bass/synths/drum machine through the signal chain. In feedback loop, with oscillating fuzz. Whatever weird and wonderful you can do with them! There's too little of that in the world anyway.
:joy: :animal:
:::: Metal up Yöur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 am

re:”demoer”/“demoee”

i believe the term is “DEMO DADDY”

as you were
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:53 am

Or demo Gorgon
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:34 pm

I'd like to see some forthright and funny demos and I think you could do a good job.
Try it out and don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfect the first time. You might need to try a couple of different things to get it right.
We all know you're good at being unfiltered and I'd like to see how you can do with editing the primal dump into something artful.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:46 pm

I am probably in the minority on this but I don’t watch demos that are 20 minutes long, if somebody else has one that’s 8 minutes (I don’t like long demos). So much time wasted. Hey everybody I’m Bob, welcome back to my channel, today we’re demoing the Boss Metal Zone (it says all that in the description, waste of time). I’m playing this guitar through this amp, recorded by this mic into this interface (shows that gear as proof I guess?). Here’s 30 seconds of my clean tone. I also hate the demos where they sit around chatting casually, there’s a channel with two Brits who do that, which I don’t watch. Their videos are 30 minutes long.

I think if you have an idea for a novel approach or see an unfilled niche then you should do it. Just try to be efficient with how you use screen time. You can move at a relaxed pace but still have a good flow of information (Knobs does this well).

I am probably not the typical demo watcher or the person you should cater to, though. I also wonder if Youtube creators are rewarded for providing content that’s over a certain length.

If I’m not mstaken, the most popular channels upload on a regular schedule. So even if you record 10 demos in a weekend, spread out your releases over time.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:01 pm

spread it on brah
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Discussion