ILFEU 2019: until next time, friends!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: ILFEU 2019: until next time, friends!

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 am

Going to watch all these vids next week. Did you point the amps at the wall to get moar reverb?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: ILFEU 2019: tomorrow and beyond!!

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 am

codetocontra wrote:UC, really appreciated the work you put in filming/editing past years, was very nice for the rest us to get a glimpse into the adventure and performances. Many pics, please. Or link IG clips. Anything. Have fun, y'all.

Yes, big fan of watching the clips over the years. Very excited! Please and thank you of course!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 am

Oh wow, what a weekend.

Huge pleasure as always everyone, thanks for taking all the recordings/video Ed! Will check them out when I have some time...
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:10 pm

shikawkee wrote:Got Eivind's video of me. Uploading to folder soon. Also uploading full video files of each performance today but won't share without everyone's permission. Will take some time to upload anyway since they are big files.

Should probably save those for when the audio is ready so you can put the two together. I'm not editing, but someone should. Raw camera footage with cam mic audio from maus is not great, in my experience. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:13 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:Did you point the amps at the wall to get moar reverb?

The way the frequencies bounce around in there is super strange. Some of us play with it against the wall, some, like Vidret, prefers it pointing towards the center. Some like to play really loud. Some not. Amount of reverb is relative because even you breathing reverberates in there. :lol:

My favorite part of ILFEU is when new people show up and I get to experience their reaction to the room. It's pretty much impossible to transfer how the room sounds and, more importantly, feels. Being in there alone for 5-10 minutes while getting ready to play is so surreal. It's so incredibly quiet yet every minute move you make gets turned into a massive reverb. So far everyone has been baffled of how massive it sounds. Plus, when you first walk in it's pitch black, but after a while your eyes start adapting and you can see more and more of the artwork as time goes by, yet it's so dark sometimes it looks like things are moving. We add some extra lights in there though, because it would be really difficult to see what you're doing if not. It's great and I hope more of you get to experience it. :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:47 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:
shikawkee wrote:Got Eivind's video of me. Uploading to folder soon. Also uploading full video files of each performance today but won't share without everyone's permission. Will take some time to upload anyway since they are big files.

Should probably save those for when the audio is ready so you can put the two together. I'm not editing, but someone should. Raw camera footage with cam mic audio from maus is not great, in my experience. :lol:

Yeah, the full performance videos are for sharing just for us who were there for now until audio is mixed and synced to the video. IMO anyways that's how it should be.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 pm

Wow. So many cool sounds. I was particularly drawn in by 20190831_203200.mp4 but really enjoyed every clip. Question...do you just trade off playing or was there any collaborating/jamming going on? I presume these were all mostly improvised? Thank you for sharing...really great stuff!!!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:59 am

We have a list of the order we play in. Kent joined my set (the last one) for that iRerror steez, though. As for improvisation, you really have to plan things out somewhat beforehand. Not everything works in the room, and you need to take that into account. For instance I had not really planned or tried out the GameBoy part in the beginning of my set, and ended up not being particularly happy with it. You can obviously improvise, and many have, but you need to have the general idea in place basically.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby shikawkee » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am

Yeah, mine was totally improvised but I'd never been there before for better or worse. It just "happened". Pretty happy with my mayhem though as with everyone's.

I never know what I'm going to play until I play anyway so...

I'll know better next time.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:21 pm

shikawkee wrote:I never know what I'm going to play until I play anyway so...

Cool. That's very much how I am. While I have some concepts that I will leverage to build off of, there are certainly not too many repeatable sounding things that I do. I'm working on a few ideas, but for the most part I improve based on a VERY loose idea of how I will go from silence into sound and from sound into a groove and back. Either way, the performance clips shared were really excellent and inspiring. Would love to hear more if/when made available.

I'd also be into checking out the music of those who were in attendance...I've been slowly exploring people's work through links in sigs and whatnot. Great stuff!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Mine was also totally improvised, beyond thinking of a basic idea to riff off in my head before playing. I have regretted not planning more a few times, but on the other hand it's tricky to plan too much, because it's hard to account for the feel of the room. Unless you're playing quiet it can get loud out of control huge very quickly. Which is great :lol:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Yeah, I wasn't even going to play anything this year, but then I thought I'd give it a go. DoS gave me a 60 second rundown on how his DD-500 worked, so I used that as well as my BioMoon and Drone Rainger. Worked fine, even thought I forgot what DoS had told me and somehow went into a looper mode instead of doing a momentary function. Happy accidents. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:12 pm

I kind of figured out what I truly should have done several minutes after finishing. :lol: It's all good, it was so wonderful listening to everyone and getting the chance to play in the space again. One day I'll nail it.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Still haven't really come down yet. Excellent trip. Pretty happy with how everything turned out in the Maus this year, only I wish my head had been further from the bass cab... it seemed way louder at the time.

CBS and I did some jamming/collaborating two years ago, but (because I am a pretty limited improviser) I have a much better time when things are planned. Allows the finest delivery of bleeps and bloops, etc.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:39 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion